Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ozgirl
    replied
    Oops- sorry my brain must have got overwhelmed! Re-reading it, I think I mean where is Mary Jane in 1871 and where are Mary Jane and Sarah in 1881. Plus just for fun I think I have found another son for William and Elizabeth Cooper, John b Leicester in Dec q 1864. He seems to have vanished as well. I think I might be in need of some wine

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    This is like one of those puzzles on how to get to the other side with a small boat.

I think I have the families understood - you said:

"William and Eliza finally marry in 1894. Presumably this means that Elizabeth is still alive until this time. I have not been able to find her in any census. In 1871 Thomas and Sarah are alone with their Grandmother Mary. So where is Elizabeth? Also can anyone find Mary Jane Jacques. I thought she may have died young, but then I found an item in the Leicester Newspaper from the 5 Aug 1876 regarding an assault on a Mary Jane Jacques in Belgrave. The interesting thing about this report was that it mentioned her sister Sarah Cooper Jacques. But where are they both in the 1871?"

who do you mean both? Isn't Sarah with Thomas as marked in red?

Leave a comment:

• ozgirl
    started a topic Help needed in untangling children

Help needed in untangling children

Thomas Hunt and Eliza Barrow marry in 1855 in Leicester. They have 3 children, Henry Edward b.1856, Mary Ann b 1864, and Ada Ann b. 1871.

At around the same time William Jacques (also spelled Jacquiss/ Jaques) married Elizabeth Cooper in Ashby-de-la-Zouch in 1854. They also have 3 children, Sarah b1854, Thomas b. 1856 and Mary Jane b.1859. The last 2 children are born in Leicester.

Looking through the Newspaper archives, Williams was not a happy marriage. His mother-in-law lived with them and in 1864 he was tried, and found guilty of assaulting his wife and mil (Mary Cooper). In 1865 he inserted a notice in the paper saying that he would no longer be responsible for his wife's debts.

In 1871 William is a boarder with Thomas and Eliza Hunt. By 1881 he and Eliza are living together as man and wife. With them are the following children:

Thomas Jacques, age 24 (Williams son)
    Henry Jacques age 24 (Eliza's son)
    Mary Ann Jacques age 16 (Eliza's daughter)
    Ada Annie Jacques age 9 (Eliza's daughter)

There are also

Kate J Jacques age 7
    Eliza E Jacques age 4.

I have found Eliza E's birth (Eliza Emmeline) in 1877, mmn Barrow along with another daughter, Bertha born Dec Q 1875 mmn Barrow, but there is a corresponding death for her in Sep Q 1876.

So my questions are - can anyone find a birth reg for Kate? Going by Ancestry hints she marries a Mr Smith and emigrates to Canada (still have to confirm that)

William and Eliza finally marry in 1894. Presumably this means that Elizabeth is still alive until this time. I have not been able to find her in any census. In 1871 Thomas and Sarah are alone with their Grandmother Mary. So where is Elizabeth? Also can anyone find Mary Jane Jacques. I thought she may have died young, but then I found an item in the Leicester Newspaper from the 5 Aug 1876 regarding an assault on a Mary Jane Jacques in Belgrave. The interesting thing about this report was that it mentioned her sister Sarah Cooper Jacques. But where are they both in the 1871?

If any one can shed any light on the whereabouts of this lot it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...try&h=12420236

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=7572

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=7572

Attached Files
Working...
X