Adoption in 1800's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoption in 1800's?

My great grandmother Martha Staff appears to have two baptism records in 1849- the one from the Romford church states:

"Feb 20. Martha Staff. Child's parents Martha Chamberlayne wife of John Chamberlayne. Received into church Feb 25."

The second Essex record states:

"Feb 20th Martha Parents George and Mary Staff. PB"

Martha was living with the Staff family in 1851 onwards.

The Chamerlaynes were living as lodgers in houses close to the Staff's in 1841 and 1851.

Is it possible that Martha was adopted by the Staff family? Was this common practice?

PB was probably "private baptism" because the child was poorly. Following an emergency baptism, "Received into the church" is usually done afterwards, in the presence of godparents and the full church, and is the sign of acceptance into the Christian faith. So two events not uncommon.
    With regards to the names , were the families related in any way?
    Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Are these the records that you are looking at or the transcriptions?

Last edited by cbcarolyn; 21-09-20, 18:16.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

this looks likes the birth reg on GRO

STAFF, MARTHA mother maiden name PRITLOVE
        GRO Reference: 1849 M Quarter in THE ROMFORD UNION Volume 12 Page 249

Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Cancel my post q on 3 - I can see the images you have on ancestry - Martha Chamberlayne is in the "sponsors column" and her occupation is wife of

Not sure what a sponsor is, sure someone will advise on here - is this godparent?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            Cancel my post q on 3 - I can see the images you have on ancestry - Martha Chamberlayne is in the "sponsors column" and her occupation is wife of

Not sure what a sponsor is, sure someone will advise on here - is this godparent?
            What denomination was the baptism? I think I came across "sponsor" amongst the bps of my Irish families and they seemed to have two sponsors, one male & one female, which I took to be the equivalent of C of E godparents.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think that column in your image would read: Heading = Sponsors. And the sponsors were a) the child's parents and b) Martha Chamberlayne (the wife of John Chamberlayne). I deduced this from looking at the other entries on the page.

As others have said she was privately baptised (PB) on 20th February and then 'Received into the Church' on 25 February.

Anne

Comment

St Edward the Confessor is a RC church in Romford. Is there another part to this baptism record?

Martha Chamberlayne comes under heading for Sponsor. Although not clear, possibly choice of child's mother. Sponsor is equivalent to Godparent in an Anglican Church.

Martha Chamberlayne's husband, although not entered under heading for Sponsors, is likely to have been 2nd sponsor.

Vera

Comment

these are the images if anyone can add anything further

But think maybe mystery is solved
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                    St Edward the Confessor is a RC church in Romford. Is there another part to this baptism record?

Martha Chamberlayne comes under heading for Sponsor. Although not clear, possibly choice of child's mother. Sponsor is equivalent to Godparent in an Anglican Church.

Martha Chamberlayne's husband, although not entered under heading for Sponsors, is likely to have been 2nd sponsor.

Vera
                    The other children on the page have three sponsors, usually including one of the parents. In Martha's case the three are her two parents plus Martha Chamberlayne. Martha C's husband is mentioned in the occupation column, just to show who Martha C is.
                    Anne

Comment

Thank you so much for everybody's help - I never expected such a rapid and well informed response!

Comment

We like a challenge - welcome to the forum.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                        X