Help to find birth please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help to find birth please

I am trying to find the birth of Jessie Wynn. Parents are Richard and Charlotte Wynn. I have her date of birth as 8th July 1898 in Woolwich, from the 1939 census where she is in a mental hospital. I have tried Ancestry, freeBMD, and the GRO with no joy. I have found 2 of the same name, one in Bridgwater and one in Gravesend but these are not her.
    Thank you
    Ann

Not found anything yet Ann - when did Richard and Charlotte marry? Could Jessie have been Charlotte's daughter prior to the marriage?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Not found record of birth....but poor Jessie seems to have spent all her life in institutions of one sort or another. Richard deserted the family and they are in the Greenwich Workhouse late 1902.

Beverley

Comment

They married in 1880 and I only found Jessie because of a workhouse record. I had to stop looking for a while because it was all workhouse and mental institutions. In one workhouse Charlotte also has an Albert and William with her, but I cant find them as her children either. So muddled
        Regards
        Ann

Comment

A previous thread had Charlotte possibly living as a Coombes in 1901 Greenwich with husband 'James' and children Henry, Albert and Jessie

Did you eliminate the birth of Jessie Coombes b 1898 Woolwich mmn Tuberfield (possibly misheard for Chipperfield)

Vera

Comment

I saw the Coombes census too, I hadn't realised there was another thread.

One of the discharge records she only takes 2 children with her.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

link to previous thread some info crosses over:

I am trying to find the ww1 army records for my grandfather. Henry Wynn born 1893 in Woolwich died 1933 in Woolwich. Married Louisa Ann Sumner in 1915. They had 1 child born in 1914. I really have tried so hard on Ancestry to find anything but no luck. Maybe they were destroyed but I will ask anyway. I had a photo of him in
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

ignore that

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                  They married in 1880 and I only found Jessie because of a workhouse record. I had to stop looking for a while because it was all workhouse and mental institutions. In one workhouse Charlotte also has an Albert and William with her, but I cant find them as her children either. So muddled
                  Regards
                  Ann
                  I found William on the GRO....and some earlier children ..should have noted them I searched in two-year increments, with mmn Chipperfield, alternating sexes. I wonder if Jessie was not registered if she was severely disabled? Sometimes parents did not want to acknowledge such births, in those times.
                  1891 -Richard Wynn,Crane driver mach (40yrs) b. 1851 Liverpool, wife Charlotte b. 1862 Woolwich, + children:
                  Richard, b. 1885 Woolwich,
                  Eleanor, b. 1887 Plumstead,
                  Adelaide b. 1889 Plumstead,
                  Amy b. 1891 Woolwich

5 March 1897 Richard Wynn, (46 yrs)absconded from Plumstead Workhouse Greenwich
                  1901 16 & 17 Flambard St St. James London (Soup Kitchen)...poss Richard Wynn https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer...761?pId=759422

24 Nov 1902, Charlotte (40 yrs) was admitted Greenwich workhouse, wife of Richard (deserted) with children
                  Henry (9 yrs),
                  Albert 6 yrs)
                  Jessie (4 yrs)
                  William 1 yr

9 Feb 1903 Jessie admitted Poor Law Hospital Vanburgh Hill Greenwich, discharged 12 May 1903
                  22 Jul 1903 Jessie admitted Sidcup Children's Home Greenwich
                  1904 Gertrude Wynn born. mmn Chipperfield
                  1911 Jessie an inmate in Greenwich/ Deptford Children's Home
                  1911 Richard Wynn, inmate Dartford Kent
                  12 Jan 1914 - poss. death of Richard Wynn, Dartford Union workhouse infirmary, 64 yrs

Beverley

Comment

29 Sep 1896 Eleanor Wynn, 9, admitted Girls' School Banstead Road, Sutton. Mother in Wkhse Woolwich
                    10 Feb 1897 Richard Wynn, 12 admittedWoolwich Union, then discharged to Exmouth
                    10 Mar 1897 Richard Wynn, 46 (Father), Ellen Wynn, 10, discharged Plumstead. Richard Wynn, 12, discharged Plumstead Workhouse, to Exmouth;
                    11 Mar 1897 Ellen Wynn b. 1887, Amy Wynn b. 1890, Ada (Adelaide) Wynn b. 1892 admitted Woolwich Union workhouse
                    10 Mar 1897 Richard Wynn to Training Ship- "Exmouth". Discharged 13 May 1899, Army, 2nd Br Somerset Light Infantry as Band Boy

Like you, Ann, I've had to stop looking. I can't remember when I've last looked at such a depressing set of family circumstances

Beverley

Comment

You have all really helped me with all these records. I was getting so upset about these peoples lives. They were my family and they were destitute. I was blaming the father but who knows how Charlotte felt.
                      Vera Thank you for reminding me of the Coombes family.. I dont know how I lost that bit of info in my notes, but I am sorry if I have made anybody go over old ground.
                      There is a lot of new things for me to work on and once again thank you
                      Regards
                      Ann

Comment

I did start looking through to see if I could find any addresses, to try and see where they were living, could find very little

One baptism of the children had St James place way back in 1893 and in 1902 they was mention of 99 Woolwich Road.

Was trying to see if could see mention of the 1901 address where Coombes family were 52 Glenforth Street.

Maybe worth the investment of the BC of Jessie Coombes, although children after her were back as Wynn
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn I will do that now I know it is Coombes
                          Regards
                          Ann

Comment

GRO searches,mmn Chipperfield : also baptisms
                            1884 Richard Alexander Wynn;DQ; Woolwich; Vol 01D,Page 1189
                            1887...no sign of Eleanor/Ellen Wynn
                            1889 Adelaide Wynn;M Q; Woolwich; vol 01D Page 1301. Bapt 26 Aug 1896 St Nicholas Plumstead
                            1891 Amy Wynne. Bap 26 Aug 1896 St Nicholas Plumstead
                            1893 Henry Wynne. Bapt 29 Nov 1893 St John Woolwich
                            1896 Albert Wynne...not found
                            1898 Jessie Wynne....not found
                            1901 William Wynn; S Q Greenwich;vol 01 D page 1152
                            1904 Gertrude Wynn; J Q Greenwich ;vol 01d page 1132

Beverley

Comment

From Free BMD:
                              Dec Q 1886
                              Eleanor Wynn;Woolwich;vol 1D, page 1225
                              Jun Q 1891
                              Amy Wynn; Woolwich;vol 1d,pge 1243
                              Mar Q 1894
                              Henry Wynn;Woolwich;vol1D pge 1270

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                                GRO searches,mmn Chipperfield : also baptisms
                                1884 Richard Alexander Wynn;DQ; Woolwich; Vol 01D,Page 1189
                                1887...no sign of Eleanor/Ellen Wynn
                                1889 Adelaide Wynn;M Q; Woolwich; vol 01D Page 1301. Bapt 26 Aug 1896 St Nicholas Plumstead
                                1891 Amy Wynne. Bap 26 Aug 1896 St Nicholas Plumstead
                                1893 Henry Wynne. Bapt 29 Nov 1893 St John Woolwich
                                1896 Albert Wynne...not found
                                1898 Jessie Wynne....not found
                                1901 William Wynn; S Q Greenwich;vol 01 D page 1152
                                1904 Gertrude Wynn; J Q Greenwich ;vol 01d page 1132
                                Albert is transcribed as Wyune

Albert Edward Wyune Baptism 17/06/1896 Woolwich St John Greenwich

that has an address that I can't read, something like 9 Dicey Street!
                                Carolyn
                                Family Tree site

Comment

CBcarolyn that is Dicey Street Woolwich, found it on a map.

I will come back to this tomorrow, I have such a lot to work with
                                  Regards to all
                                  Ann

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Oldie View Post
                                    CBcarolyn that is Dicey Street Woolwich, found it on a map.

I will come back to this tomorrow, I have such a lot to work with
                                    Regards to all
                                    Ann
                                    I am normally rubbish at reading things - at felt that couldn't be right. hee hee
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                      I did start looking through to see if I could find any addresses, to try and see where they were living, could find very little

One baptism of the children had St James place way back in 1893 and in 1902 they was mention of 99 Woolwich Road.

Was trying to see if could see mention of the 1901 address where Coombes family were 52 Glenforth Street.

Maybe worth the investment of the BC of Jessie Coombes, although children after her were back as Wynn
                                      not that is a big help, but Glenforth street meets Woolwich Road, and I think very close to 99 Woolwich Road, I can't find this on the 1901 census at the moment.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

cbcarolyn, whether it is my age but I see these addresses and I think, if only I had known all this when I was young. I was walking in their footsteps
                                        Regards
                                        Ann

Comment

Working...
                                        X