Help with a probate application please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a probate application please

I've recently been sending off for wills and have hit a snag with one, which was an administration application, rather than a will. It took me a little while to locate it, until I discovered that I had to keep on turning over the pages on display until I came to the appropriate administrations images. There was no folio number for the item. I filled in the application and put date of probate, had an e-mail today to say the will cannot be found as I have given them either the wrong info or incomplete info. I can apply again quoting the folio number (I couldn't see one!) and will also need to pay again. Well, I'm not actually looking for a will but I didn't see anything on the application form to differentiate between a will and an admin. I'm not especially miffed about the £1.50, but don't want to apply again and have my replication order declared void again.
    Any suggestions please as to what I did wrong?
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

I've received one or two administrations and they have been fine.

Also I've had a couple rejected which said the same as you received but when I looked I had put the wrong date in. One I had mixed up the probate and date of death and the other the wrong year as the death and the will were different years.

Double check with your order before you do anything.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Lin - that's very helpful. The death and admin in my case were two years apart. I think that may have been the problem; I'll have another fiddle with the form and see what I can work out.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've looked back at what I ordered and I had put correct surname & forename, exact date of probate, place of probate. Doesn't show whether or not I'd also entered year/date of death, which was 2 years earlier. I thought I had. There was no folio number in the image.

Should I be including both dates? In the response, it says the probate date is the important one - I definitely put the correct probate date as this shows up on my request, ditto with the names and the registry. I can't find anything pertinent in the help section and they don't seem to have a "help" request facility.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is a section to put the death date and like I said easy to get it wrong. Not sure how to advise you any more. Learnt from my mistakes though and now double check it all
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks Lin.
            I've checked my order on my account and it is showing that I did submit the correct dates for both death and probate.Also got name and registry correct.
            As it was an admin and not a will, it did not appear on the first image and so I had to go through quite a lot of different sections to get to the appropriate admin page. I am wondering if the person at the other end was having a bad day and stopped at the wills bit and said it couldn't be found!

I eventually found a contact button at the top of the page and so I have sent a message outlining what I put on the form, explained there is NO folio number on the relevant image, and asked for instructions of what I should have entered so that I can apply again. You are only supposed to message if your order is late, so I may not hear from them

I see the cheeky beggar has already placed the will in my basket, using exactly the same dates as on the original order so that I can order again!!
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I had an issue with one will they couldn't locate. They said i needed to give a number for it, but their own image didn't have one. So i screenshotted it and attached to the email, and told them the page of their index it could be found on. After that, they found it rather quickly. But it did take some back and forth.

Comment

Thanks for that, Kyle - I really think it is a fault at their end as I had a job to locate it on their site, even though I knew the dates from the probate section of Ancestry. I will see what response I get at the beginning of next week. It's not about the money, it's that there's no guarantee that they will do any better if I pay again.

Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

So they didn’t refund you the first fee because they couldn’t find it? This time they have used the same info and put it in your basket ready for download upon receipt of another fee. Have I understood it all correctly?
                  If that’s the case, I would give them a wee call and ask for the fee to be overridden so you can download for free. As you say, £1.50 will hardly break the bank but it’s the principle of the thing.

Comment

GL, they don't refund the fee if they can't find it - just inform you that you must have submitted the wrong (or omitted a vital piece of) information. The item has now gone from my basket, but I think I may well have deleted that last night in order to ensure that I wasn't charged for another no show by them using the same card number which they may well have on record.
                    I'll wait and see if I get a response to my mail. All my other probate requests have been for wills and it was quite straightforward. I followed the same ordering procedure for the "will" in question, but it took me a little while to locate it because the image that appeared on screen did not include the document I wanted. It showed Irish probate items and I had to scroll through several pages of wills, Scottish wills etc before I eventually got to the letters of administration and was able to see the relevant image with the details needed for ordering. I shall look again and note the section and page number so that I can quote them if necessary.
                    I think it could have been a staff member having a bad day, or perhaps there is a problem with the digitising and indexing of a batch of images. I have now got PC issues as well and think the 'puter will have to go back to the shop for repair, when they can fit me in.
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                      I've recently been sending off for wills and have hit a snag with one, which was an administration application, rather than a will. It took me a little while to locate it, until I discovered that I had to keep on turning over the pages on display until I came to the appropriate administrations images. There was no folio number for the item. I filled in the application and put date of probate, had an e-mail today to say the will cannot be found as I have given them either the wrong info or incomplete info. I can apply again quoting the folio number (I couldn't see one!) and will also need to pay again. Well, I'm not actually looking for a will but I didn't see anything on the application form to differentiate between a will and an admin. I'm not especially miffed about the £1.50, but don't want to apply again and have my replication order declared void again.
                      Any suggestions please as to what I did wrong?
                      I had exactly the same standard response when the page number was wrong and no folio number existed and I never did get the admon. When I tried following it up they got quite short/rude with me and I gave up.
                      I had sent screenshots to explain that it was impossible to order using their parameters but no good.
                      Caroline
                      Caroline's Family History Pages
                      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you Caroline - sorry you didn't get your document, but, selfishly, I'm reassured now that it isn't simply a case of me having lost my mental faculties!
                        It's not the end of the world if I don't get to see it as the effects were less than £50, but it would have been nice to have a memento of my 3xgt grandparents.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                        X