Ancestry.Com - Download WWI Army Service papers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry.Com - Download WWI Army Service papers

I am trying to download from Ancestry the WWI Army service papers of a relative. There are about 20 pages and it seems like I have to download them all individually, is there a way to donload them all together.

also, the default is to save them as a jpg file, is it possible to download them as a PDF as this will take up much less storage space.

There isn’t unfortunately. You need to save them individually. If you go on to the net, there are plenty free programmes that will turn them into a pdf for you. Register an email address then upload each image and most will ask you which order you want the images in and then you wait for an email with an attached pdf.

Comment

when they convert to PDF are the images smaller to view?
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 12-09-20, 14:04.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

You don't need to send the images away to get them changed. If you have Windows you can convert them to PDF yourself by using the Print option. On your downloaded jpg click on the print icon, then on the print page in the top left hand corner under Printer, click on the drop down menu and choose Microsoft print to PDF. You can then save it to your computer as a PDF file (it won't print it out).
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
          You don't need to send the images away to get them changed. If you have Windows you can convert them to PDF yourself by using the Print option. On your downloaded jpg click on the print icon, then on the print page in the top left hand corner under Printer, click on the drop down menu and choose Microsoft print to PDF. You can then save it to your computer as a PDF file (it won't print it out).
          Will that not still leave you with a load of single pdfs? The online method puts them all into one document. There’s no “sending away” in the usual sense, the email is usually back with you in about 15 minutes. It can take longer if the site is busy but I think it will give an estimated time. It’s a while since I did this with pages of a will and an army service record. Will have a check and see if I can find which site it was I used.

I think was it. If you are a Windows user, there’s also a free app. https://www.pdfforge.org/pdfcreator

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
            when they convert to PDF are the images smaller to view?
            No. Mine were sized as the originals.

Comment

Here are some others.

This free online tool allows combining multiple PDF or image files into a single PDF document.

This Online PDF Converter can convert all your files to PDF but also compress and merge PDF files! Word, Excel, PowerPoint, images and any other kind of document can be easily converted to PDF on Online2PDF.com! Free and completely online. With the PDF Unlock Tool you can easily unlock your protected PDF files and remove the printing, copying and editing lock!

Comment

Never knew such things exist - very good. Although I don't think you will get them smaller as they are the size they are regardless of file type.

Just tested it on some images and PDF is same size as the sum of JPEGs but like the combining feature.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

shetland

If you are still looking, I had the same problem and found this......

A bit of googling and I found that the Windows Photo app which you probably already have on your computer will do the job perfectly. Even offers a choice to make each jpeg fill a whole A4 page. Great result!

WikiHow instructions are here https://www.wikihow.com/Convert-JPG-...-Version-5.jpg
                  Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Working...
                  X