missouri marriage look up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missouri marriage look up

can anyone look up a marriage for me please? "missouri marriage records 1805-2002" on ancestry, for james westwick in 1850. thank you in advance.

Is this what you wanted?

James Westwick
    Eliza Atwell
    21 Oct 1850
    Vol:5
    Page:87

Beverley

Comment

that's correct. was there any more info?

Comment

Familysearch has the images of the registry, but the entries are in order of the registration, not the date of the event. The film's page number for events around this time period is 372.

good luck

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

but these are not detailed records - if you're very, very lucky, you might get the church that married them, and then maybe, maybe the church records still exist.

Comment

Thanks. I did try them first, and the entries were quite detailed, for the lutheran and methodist churches i stumbled on. Really just want to know what james stated for place of origin. If it's the same bloke, he seems to have married in england in feb 1850 with one child.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            that's correct. was there any more info?
            Not really....I think the image gave time of day and the minister's name, but there was nothing useful like parents or occupations. I found an image I could probably send if you want it.

Beverley

Comment

The entry was in the Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002:

Westwick: This may certify that on October 21st 1850 appeared before me an ordained minister of the Gospel Mr James Westwick and Miss Eliza Atwell and were lawfully united in marriage St Louis Oct 21st 1850.
              G.B.Townsend
              Filed and Recorded Nov 19tth 1850 S.D.Barlow Recorder

Beverley

Comment

Thanks macbev. I had thought it was unlikely to get any identifying information, but the other creeds gave me hope.

Comment

Thanks. I did try them first, and the entries were quite detailed, for the lutheran and methodist churches i stumbled on. Really just want to know what james stated for place of origin. If it's the same bloke, he seems to have married in england in feb 1850 with one child.
                  I noticed the Feb 1850 marriage was to an Eliza Scott in Yorkshire, That James' father was also James.
                  There is quite a lot about James married to Eliza Atwell. I have found that family on several US censuses. His grave website info says he was James Balance Westwick b. 13 Oct 1815 North Yorks, died 1 Nov 1899 in Wyoming, so possibly the same chap.
                  The 1850 USA census has James (b. England,33 yrs), Eliza (b. Ireland, 20yrs ) and James (b. England, 7 mnths) in Galena Illinois.

Beverley

Comment

Yes that's the one. The americans have quite a bit of info on him, but i'm unsure of that marriage to eliza atwell. He was born james westwick, no middle name. His first wife's maiden name "bollans" sounds a bit like balance, so wonder if he used that for a while.

he married anne kemplay nee bollans in 1843, had a few kids and she died in 1849. Then he married eliza scott in feb 1850 and had a son with her. I think i may have found them in 1851 without james, from memory. But then the americans think he married eliza atwell in nov 1850. So unless he abandoned his second wife in england, or didn't marry eliza atwell, something isn't right. I haven't tracked him myself, as he is a cousin; but his descendants do get in touch now and then so was looking into this again this week.

Comment

Some of the records on Ancestry seem to indicate that Eliza Scott's husband James Westwick died and that she remarried (I've forgotten who, but could look it up again). Certainly I saw a family with two Westwick stepsons, (the younger of whom was a James) on the 1851 census.
                      If that is so, then James Westwick married to Eliza Scott is quite separate from James Westwick who married Eliza Atwell....or he did indeed abandon the first Eliza, who then became a bigamist. Interesting conundrum.

Beverley

Comment

Was just having a look at marriages and the papers and found a Mrs Eliza Westwick of Scarbro' marrying Robert Patchitt 1862. The marriage is on FMP, father John Scott, Eliza as widow

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Herbert MMN Scott

Attached Files
                        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

It's definitely the correct james in the 1841 census at york, living with henry and anne kemplay. Then married anne kemplay in 1843, occupation game keeper, and father james, game keeper. Same details and address in 1850 when married eliza scott. But the americans don't seem to know about eliza scott.

so leaning towards he abandoned eliza scott and married eliza atwell, or he never married his irish 'wife' eliza. Or possi ly the james westwick in missouri is someone else entirely. But the one in illinois is the correct one i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                            Some of the records on Ancestry seem to indicate that Eliza Scott's husband James Westwick died and that she remarried (I've forgotten who, but could look it up again). Certainly I saw a family with two Westwick stepsons, (the younger of whom was a James) on the 1851 census.
                            The Elizabeth Westwick who married a William Lister is the one I found on the 1851 census with two Westwick sons....but I don't think she can be Eliza Scott Westwick, as this marriage occurred in 1848. Too many red herrings.

Beverley

Comment

But the one in illinois is the correct one i think.
                              So, is the "Illinois" man the one that dies in Wyoming? If not, when did "Illinois" man die, and where?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

So, is the "Illinois" man the one that dies in Wyoming? If not, when did "Illinois" man die, and where?
                                llinois man is the one on Ancestry shown as 'James Balance Westwick' who married Eliza Atwell. He died 1 Nov 1899 in Converse Co Wyoming USA. That family can be traced fairly convincingly through the USA censuses, mainly in Galena Illinois. Whether he is the same man who married Eliza Scott is problematic.

Is there a death for a James Westwick in England occurring between the Scott marriage in Feb 1850 and the Eliza Westwick marr to Robert Patchitt 1862 (post 12)?

Is there an occupation anywhere for your James Westwick, Kylejustin?

Beverley

Comment

O.K....on the 1841 English census James Westwick is a mill wright. The 1850 US census in Galena Ill., James is a millwright and engineer. 1860 US census in Galena, James is a miner. 1870 US census James is a machinist

Beverley

Comment

There's mention of James Westwick and wife Eliza Atwell on this page about their daughter
                                    https://www.conversecounty.org/Docum...ast-PDF?bidId=
                                    you want page 101 of the book.

There's not much on the page.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                                      O.K....on the 1841 English census James Westwick is a mill wright. The 1850 US census in Galena Ill., James is a millwright and engineer. 1860 US census in Galena, James is a miner. 1870 US census James is a machinist
                                      Galena was a huge mining area (my Cornish ancestors were in the area to do mining).

Occupations were not as set in the US as they were in England. Often there were not enough well-trained people to make formal training a requirement. The farther you were from a city center, the more that became true.

Comment

His full profile is on the book's page 627, which works out to be page 629 in the pdf.

Comment

Working...
                                        X