Ancestry Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry Question

I've decided to put a tree on Ancestry using the tree that I have on Family Historian which includes living people which I can if necessary delete before I upload the basic information, mainly just BMD's that at the moment is all that I want to upload. I see that a lot of Ancestry trees have living people just designated as 'Living' (I am on there in this way in a couple of trees along with my daughter and grandchildren), my question is if I upload my tree to include all the living people on my FH database will Ancestry automatically add them to my tree as 'Living' without their names or have the tree owners done this themselves as they have added people?

What I want to do if it works is to just upload a tree every so often after I've added new names using Family Tree Maker as a middleman so to speak and it would be a lot easier if I didn't have to faff around too much using FH Split Tree Helper before loading into FTM then syncing with Ancestry.

Does all this make sense? I'm not very good at explaining but I know that a lot on here use FH, FTM and Ancestry and I was wondering the best and easiest way to get the basic information on Ancestry from Family Historian.
    Margaret

Ancestry does the job automatically so they will not show. And you can upload a GEDCOM file straight to Ancestry so you don't need to go via FTM.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I am not sure what the exact criteria is, maybe anyone less than 100 years and no death record will be 'living' I have not put death date in for a couple of recent deaths so that they are still private. and added the details to their notes.

I guess there must be something on ancestry. So you wil find some odd things like a really old relative without a birth or death as living
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you Carolyn and Gardengirl, all very useful, I haven't tried putting a tree on Ancestry before so it's all a bit new and I don't quite know what to expect, I'll probably make it 'Private' for a while until I see what information is being transferred.
        Margaret

Comment

I have mine set on Private but searchable which means that names will come up in people's searches but they have to contact me for more information.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
            I have mine set on Private but searchable which means that names will come up in people's searches but they have to contact me for more information.
            Yes, I'm thinking that is what I will do too, I'll have a play later today and see how I like the results, I only want basic information on there, just enough hopefully to get in touch with some far flung 'cousins'.
            Margaret

Comment

Working...
            X