RootsTech Online February 2021 - COMING SOON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post

It takes them 52 minutes to explain all...my attention span is not that long this morning.
    It was rather longwinded ...
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others. Socrates

Comment

Somebody has taken the time to summarise it!!

https://jennyalogy.blogspot.com/2021....html?spref=tw

I've now got 116 relatives - I shall be intrigued to see who they are.
      Caroline

Comment

Thanks for that link, Caroline, much more manageable
        Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

You can now see who your relatives are and the relationship.

https://www.familysearch.org/connect/

I have 116 currently.

My top match is a 5th cousin who I recognise as one of my recent DNA matches.

Australia (4),Canada (1), Japan (1), UK (3), USA (111) of which 58 are in Utah & 26 in Kansas.

And ALL maternal, mostly from two couples. They are also my most prolific DNA matching families - I do hope we are all correct or it will make a nonsense of very many trees.

Looking closely at a random one, I can already some differences on the Gillett line. My info came from the Glos record offices via a chap who did his over 50 years at the Glos record office and passed it on to me so there's checking to be done there, at least to get my tree working correctly, no guarantee he was right ....
          Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
            https://www.family-tree.co.uk/news/f...-afternoon-tea - this may appeal too.

Bit early perhaps, but Paulc is the special guest on Thursday a.m.
            Haha didn’t know it was publicised yet!
            My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

Somebody has taken the time to summarise it!!

https://jennyalogy.blogspot.com/2021....html?spref=tw

I've now got 116 relatives - I shall be intrigued to see who they are.
              You beat me to it.......forget all the rootstech videos etc for a detailed summary of how it’s all going to work Jenny’s blog is by far the best

I have updated all the info on my 56 relatives now, of my 56 matches, 51 are American, 3 Australian, 1 Canadian and 1 from the U.K. My list of names is live now, sadly nobody that I recognise, closest match a 4th cousin
              Last edited by Paulc; 20-02-21, 08:19.
              My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Comment

RootsTech promotion from MyHeritage:

https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...ek-and-forever
                Caroline

Comment

It's not so much a schedule but a collection of twenty minute talks:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...ssions-eng.pdf
                  Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Thanks Caroline.
                  So it's possible to listen to as many (or as few!) as you want - and no need to register for a particular session?
                  I didn't answer your question properly so in case anyone else needs to know, there is a main timed talks schedule and then the long list of talks which we can view as and when we like.

The links keep going walkabout but here they are on the new site:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...hedule-eng.pdf
                  https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/...ssions-eng.pdf

You can login using your familysearch login now to get at them.
                  Caroline

Comment

Geneanet will be at RootsTech Connect 2021

If you are looking for somewhere else to upload your DNA - A multi-lingual French site which carries French resources. Some free and a tree facility as well.

https://en.geneanet.org/
                    Caroline

Comment

and breathe... just had a baptism of fire!.. been playing about with the tree on FS... that was a sharp learning curve I can tell you, blooming convoluted!
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Another video about the show:

Very slow speech but the info is all there.

Caroline

Comment

The idea of connecting other conference attendees via a family tree but I have big worries about putting any tree out there on familysearch. Would this tree for Rootstech connecting purposes be separate from the world wide open tree on familysearch website or would I just be adding to that one?
                          If not, can I take my tree down after the conference ends? Do they own the data I put up or do I?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                            The idea of connecting other conference attendees via a family tree but I have big worries about putting any tree out there on familysearch. Would this tree for Rootstech connecting purposes be separate from the world wide open tree on familysearch website or would I just be adding to that one?
                            If not, can I take my tree down after the conference ends? Do they own the data I put up or do I?
                            It forms part of the big tree but there's no reason you can't remove it afterwards.

As to the ownership of the data you'd need to look at their Ts and Cs, but how can we own part of a family tree anyway? It's like when people get sniffy about their (deceased) grandparents appearing on somebody else's tree, we don't own any of it. Best we can do is to make it as accurate as we think we can and edit what we think to be wrong but backed up with the evidence - I did laugh though when I saw that somebody's reason for changing a fact was because it was correct ...... I hope they were right.
                            Caroline

Comment

Thanks for that Caroline

Comment

When I looked at RootsTech connect, it looked like it was relying on FamilyTree to make the connections.

As near as I can tell, there's no ability to delete someone's record in FT?
                                ------------------------------------------------------
                                My Families
                                London-area Coverly Family Finder DNA Project

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                                  When I looked at RootsTech connect, it looked like it was relying on FamilyTree to make the connections.

As near as I can tell, there's no ability to delete someone's record in FT?
                                  You're quite right - sorry GL. Because I had uploaded my tree and deleted it in the past I hadn't looked. It makes even more important to get my bits accurate then!! I don't have an issue with that even so, as it is an interesting exercise and it makes no difference to me as mine is public anyway..

I've got 218 relatives as of now, it's clocking up quickly now. I have been screenprinting the relationships as they appear and before they disappear at the weekend, and am gradually entering them into my own master tree and am going to be able to identify many DNA matches now!!

So far I have had ONE paternal match!! and the others all mainly come from the same three families, mostly based in Utah and Kansas. Gillett, Burrows and Jordan - the Burrows and Jordan families are connected anyway.
                                  Caroline

Comment

You can now see who your relatives are and the relationship.

https://www.familysearch.org/connect/

I have 116 currently.

My top match is a 5th cousin who I recognise as one of my recent DNA matches.

Australia (4),Canada (1), Japan (1), UK (3), USA (111) of which 58 are in Utah & 26 in Kansas.
                                    I have 39 going (all USA) and every single one of them is descended from the sister of my 3rd Great Grandmother Sarah Barnard - Mary Ann Barnard who married John Coolbear (Colbia). Mary Ann and John became Mormons whilst living in Essex. Mary Ann left John behind but took their son John off to Utah following her daughter Caroline who'd emigrated 3 years previously .

Mary A. Coolbear travelled from Liverpool to New York 14 May 1862 - 25 Jun 1862.
                                    Ship Name William Tapscott
                                    Departure
                                    14 May 1862 from Liverpool
                                    Coolbear, Mary A.
                                    Age 56
                                    Occupation Widow (No she wasn't) and she remarried in Utah the following year!
                                    Coolbear, David, son

I have contacted several of my matches as they all have Mary Ann wedded at Latchingdon, Essex but that was the Banns for John Coolbear who lived nearby. The two sisters married on the same day and witnessed each others marriages at Tollesbury. I transcribed the marriages for FreeReg and have the image.
                                    Two replied saying I was wrong as they had the info from Morman church sources. Well that must be better than my source then. I offered to send them the image - no further contact. You just can't help some people can you LOL!

1832 Barnard marriages.jpg

Kat

Comment

That’s a cracker of a name to add to the unusual names thread! You’re right, you just can’t convince some folks can you

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                        That’s a cracker of a name to add to the unusual names thread! You’re right, you just can’t convince some folks can you
                                        I quietly changed the surname of William Gillett's wife. I won't be contacting all 100+ of them. The "tree" had her as Martha Dakin, no source for a marriage so looks like one person took a random Martha once upon a time, but with the wedding date and location of William Gillett and Martha Gillett as shown in the image (available on ancestry and seen years back by my contact at the records office). They were cousins.

I need to ensure that they all have the correct parentage for my great grandmother Susan Gillett too, as somebody got it wrong years back and it is on the Pedigree files/CDs.

Oh and one of the many Gillett matches is an Osmond from Utah - I wonder!!
                                        Caroline

Comment

From what I recall the Osmonds ancestry comes to Wales..
                                          Julie
                                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                          X