On line genealogy course from Future Learn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On line genealogy course from Future Learn

Has anyone done this course? If you are not familiar with them, Future Learn deliver free on-line learning on a huge variety of subjects which you can do in your own time at your own pace. I have done two previous courses with them which I enjoyed but the second was not as interesting and I lost motivation in Week 3.

I have just joined the Geneology one as I thought it might be interesting and there’s always something new to be learnt. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else fancies signing up so we can compare notes as we go along.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Is that the one run by University of Strathclyde? If so, I did it on it’s inaugural run. The main tutor was annoyingly hard to understand plus they had terrible dropout problems in the live course sessions and Q&As. Hopefully they have fixed this as there was a good bit of learning in it but the multiple choice bits and some of the questions therein were a bit silly and far too basic. Some of them required you to join in and make a comment whether you wanted to or not otherwise the unit would not complete.
    The certificate and ?book thingy are not worth paying for. At the time, about four years ago?, the certificate was a bit of A4 printed paper for which they wanted £35 - 40 if I remember correctly.
    All in all though, I did learn some new things which you can’t complain about as it was free. As long as they have fixed the technical issues since then and kept the content up to date, it’s worth your time. The DNA section was really in its infancy first time round so should now be a lot more interesting.

Comment

Thanks for that, GL, as far as I can see so far, I am joining late so there won’t be any live content. I did decide on my last courses that the ‘certificates' were a bit if a rip off. I’ll stick with it though because you never know when there is something new that you may have previously overlooked.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

The course on Futurelearn, from Strathclyde, is very much aimed as a beginners introduction to genealogy and has run quite a number of times now with many thousands of students and is updated each time as far as possible. I do have regular contact with the Strathclyde tutors so if you want me to pass any feedback to them, let me know.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
          Thanks for that, GL, as far as I can see so far, I am joining late so there won’t be any live content. I did decide on my last courses that the ‘certificates' were a bit if a rip off. I’ll stick with it though because you never know when there is something new that you may have previously overlooked.
          I think that, however long we've been exploring our family tree, we can always benefit from learning about new research techniques and tips and pointers about up to date databases and new releases of records.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I'd been researching my family tree for years before I took the FutureLearn course and still enjoyed it. They also used to offer one on old handwriting which helped me in the transcription of some old wills. I never bothered with buying a certificate for either course - didn't think it was worth the money.
            Jenny

Comment

Working...
            X