Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with poor enumerator handwriting please

Good evening, everyone.

Could I have your thoughts on this census please? The head of household is Thomas Skitteral and the place of birth for all of them is Norwood, not Horwood as in the FMP transcription.

On Ancestry https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...46?pId=6394856
    On FMP https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...1%2F0002424385

The bit I am particularly curious about is the daughter listed as Mary Bates. What is written in the condition column? I haven't looked yet for her marriage to someone called Bates but maybe she is divorced or widowed? And what are the occupations for Eliza, John and Caroline? Eliza on FMP is transcribed as Domestic Serv, which I agree with, but the other two?

Looking forward to your thoughts as always
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

John - plasterer?
    Caroline - serv?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Marriages Dec 1858
      Bates James Lambeth 1d 355
      Skittral Mary Ann Lambeth 1d 355

Postem:

3 Oct St Matthew Brixton.James Bates 21 bach labourer Brixton Hill s/o Thomas Bates, smith.Signed. MAS 20 sp Brixton Hill d/o Thomas Skittral/Skitteral, labourer.Mark. Wits: John Chester, Eleanor D..? Matthews, S&S.

Edit: Postem is from FreeBMD and posted on 01/08/2016
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 26-08-20, 21:18.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Domestic servant, plasterer, servant.
        I see Mary as widow

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you all.

Gosh, if she married in 1858 and was a widow by 1861 that was a short marriage :-( I wonder what happened? Something to add to the To Do list.
          Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Working...
          X