X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post

I can't find Dinah/Diana on Ancestry. She is Walton on FMP dob 1821

Vera
    ahh yes, Walton on Ancestry too, Constable Street same as death. Be interesting to see where Edith was born and if it was close.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

vera and @Carolyn
      Thank you so much ladies for beavering away at this and well done on the finds. Don't know how I missed the wills as I did look - I suspect that I only tried Diana and not Dinah, as that seems to be how she was referred to after her marriage to John Watson and I don't know WHY I didn't come across John's will.

We don't have Edith's BC - just the birth reg entry in the GRO index (which gives Hull) and then the mass baptism entry, which gives her dob.

Dinah is actually part of the extended family of Ann Cook,the ancestress of a friend, who asked me to see if I could find out what became of Ann's husband Robert Ransom(e) post the birth of Sarah Ann in 1856. I couldn't, and still can't, but along the way I discovered an additional child (Rose Hannah) and the whole family became like an itch, which I just had to keep scratching away at. Once I'd found the reason for Ann Cook Ransom being in the workhouse in 1861, I felt a great empathy for her and just had to see if I could do some unpicking of her siblings and also those of Robert Ransom, to see if I could find any evidence of family support for her.

Vera thank you so much for the wills references - I think I will send off for those myself as they are so cheap at present and getting to the bottom of James's origins has become a bit of a personal crusade, although he has nothing to do with me! You know how it can be and how family history can get under your skin.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Wills ordered and due for viewing mid-September.
        Hopefully, a little surprise gift for my friend - what a pair of saddos we are!
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

you will have to let us know what they say , be nice if we could find James and Rose Hannah in Hull.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

The will of John Watson became available today. Disappointingly it was very short and simple - everything was left to his wife Dinah, sole executor. No mention of anyone else, definitely no mention of any children. Will have to wait for the will of Dinah, but I suspect that too will be short and sweet, unless it mentions her niece Rose Ransom and a James.
            Will post the results when the will is available - however, I'm thinking I'm not going to be able to get to the bottom of the "son" James "Watson." What we'll never get to know is whether they actually claimed Rose and James were their children, or whether it was just assumed to be so by the enumerator.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

oh that is disappointing, fingers crossed for next one.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
              X