Fabius Lea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fran View Post
    Clayton Lea,grandfather of Fabius died in 1765. His wife is Sarah. Sarah Lea married John DONBAVAND in 1766 Cheshire.

Originally posted by Yelsel2 View Post
    Fabius Lea is the nephew of Margaret Donbavand. Margaret Donbavand (b.1772) is the Godmother of the eldest child of Fabius Lea i.e. Mary Julia Lea. Therefore I believe that Fabius Donbavand Lea is named after her rather than the unidentified Margaret Donbavan who appears to have married Fabius in 1819. All the beneficiaries in the Will appear to be the children of Sarah Donbavand formerly Lea nee Williams (my g-g-g-g-grandmother) and Fabius Lea who, along with William Prior were the executors.
    Just refreshing my memory on this - I read the will, and saw that she had Fabius Lea as Nephew, but I was confused if she was a spinster, this must mean that Fabius Lea's mother would have to be Donbavand? Decided it must mean 'nephew' not quite correct? Great nephew? forgot about it.

But with quote above John Lea father of Fabius born 1763 would have been brought up by John Donbavand, so maybe not a blood nephew? a 'step' nephew? Margaret Donbavand re the will half sister to John?

all other nieces and nephews in will mentioned
    are
    Sarah Owens
    Maria Hulme
    Charles Hulme
    Emma Mason
    Anna Prior (late)
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 17-09-20, 19:11.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Sarah Williams married Clayton Lea in 1751. Clayton Lea died in 1765. They had 5 children three of whom survived to marry. In 1766 Sarah Lea (nee Williams) married John Donbavand and they had three children - Margaret b. 1772 was the only one to survive. Margaret Donbavand was the half-sister of Sarah Hulme nee Lea & John Lea.
      In Margaret Donbavand's Will all who she named as beneficiaries were descendants of Clayton & Sarah i.e. Maria Hulme, Sarah Owens nee Hulme & Ann Prior nee Hulme (daughters of Sarah Lea & James Hulme), Charles Hulme (son of Sarah Lea & James Hulme), Emma Mason nee Lea & Fabius Lea (children of John Lea & Therese Valentine Penet) - William Prior (one of the executors) was the husband of Ann nee Hulme. Ann & Margaret Prior were the children of Ann & William Prior.
      I do hope that I have explained this clearly.
      Sarah Owens nee Hulme was my g-g-g-grandmother.
      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-09-20, 09:59.

Comment

Help. Something is being shown as &amp throughout your explanation. What should we be seeing?

Comment

Sorry, GallowayLass, I typed &. I don't know why it appeared as &amp.

Comment

More apologies, in Post # 62 I referred to Margaret Donbavand as step-sister whereas it should have been half-sister.
            I would also like to thank those on this website who have posted information about Fabius Lea and also my cousin with whom I work in very close contact. There is nothing like teamwork to solve a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Yelsel2 View Post
              I would also like to thank those on this website who have posted information about Fabius Lea and also my cousin with whom I work in very close contact. There is nothing like teamwork to solve a problem.
              That is very true! I expect you have seen some of the very long threads on the forum where they run to pages and page and pages and pages and page and pages. Welcome to the forum.

Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes that makes sense with the use of the surname in his sons name.

I edited the post to take out amp, not sure why you encountered them - maybe copying & pasting? (changed step to half too )

Do you know the relationship of Fabius first wife to him? Not first cousin if none of the Donbavands survived and Margaret a spinster, unless she had a child?
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

fran - are you catching up with the new info? Brilliant first postings since yesterday by new member Yelsel2

Comment

Yes GL, I've just caught up! Thank you Yelsel2 for that information. I will pass it on to my friend.

Comment

So sorry, cbcarolyn, but the first wife of Fabius Lea still remains a mystery. I am still reaching out for more information but my cousin & I are extremely happy with what we have found so far. We do have much more information about the Lea family and will be happy to share.

Comment

Hi, I just came across this forum, and I cannot thank you enough for helping me sort out this part of my family tree. I am a descendant of Louis Phillipe Guilliame Lea, and this was all very confusing until I found you guys. Thank you! But there was mention of a will left by Louis that I could purchase somewhere. Can anyone tell me where I need to go to get that? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellymoo View Post
                          Hi, I just came across this forum, and I cannot thank you enough for helping me sort out this part of my family tree. I am a descendant of Louis Phillipe Guilliame Lea, and this was all very confusing until I found you guys. Thank you! But there was mention of a will left by Louis that I could purchase somewhere. Can anyone tell me where I need to go to get that? Thanks!
                          Search online for a will, grant of representation or probate document for a death in or after 1858

Comment

Thank you!!

Comment

Hi There!

The attachments are too pixilated to read. I was wondering if one of these happens to contain information about Therese Valentine Lea (Penet)‘s death? Perhaps the one from 1843? Please, any information you have about her would be most appreciated! Thank you so much!

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              My first guess was that she must be some kind of cousin and the name must be a family name. it just has to be - he can't have used the name due to previous wife...he just can't!

Liverpool Mail 18 November 1871.png
                              Liverpool Mail 06 May 1854.png
                              Liverpool Mercury 10 March 1843.png

I saved these the other night on laptop, there were a few for announcement daughter marriage in IoM. many many ads for the language tutor.

Can have a hunt for the wedding if you need it.

did you see my post about brothers will? - he may mention other relations - although uniikely.

Comment

Mellymoo I can read them, so have transcribed them for you:

EDUCATION ON THE CONTINENT –We perceive that Mr Fabius Lea, a gentleman so well known and respected that we need not say a word in his favour personally, is about to return to the continent, after having sojourned amongst us for a period of twenty-five years, and that he proposes to take with him a few pupils, to enjoy the advantages of a classical and modern education, in the neighbourhood of Genova. His proposed regulations and plans are excellent. We sincerely with him success: he certainly deserves it an believe he will experience it.
                                FRENCH AND ITALIAN LANGUAGES.
                                PROFESSOR L.P. GUILLAUME LEA, (of
                                the Royal University of Paris,) Brother and Successor to
                                Fabius Lea, and J Grimaldi.
                                28 Seymour Street
                                FRENCH, ITALIAN, SPANISH, AND GERMAN TAUGHT
                                BY NATIVES

LEA – Nov. 8 at 24, Brisbane-street, Douglas, Isle of Man, aged 74 Mary Julia Theresa, wife of Fabius Lea, Esq., late of Chateau Bellevue, Chambery, Savoy, and formerly of this town.
                                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 28-08-21, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellymoo View Post
                                  Hi There!

The attachments are too pixilated to read. I was wondering if one of these happens to contain information about Therese Valentine Lea (Penet)‘s death? Perhaps the one from 1843? Please, any information you have about her would be most appreciated! Thank you so much!

that was my error, it was fabius wife and not mother, do you know if Therese was in England?

I think you have to make more than 10 posts to be able to read attachments
                                  Last edited by cbcarolyn; 28-08-21, 17:05.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                  X