Fabius Lea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fabius Lea

I have found Fabius Lea in 1841 Liverpool. He is a professor of languages He is with his wife Mary and several children. One of these children is called Fabius Donbavand Lea born 31st August 1831. I found a marriage for Fabius and Mary Young 11 July 1822 Liverpool .Today I have come across (on Family Search)that Fabius Lea on 9 July 1819 Bermondsey ,intended to marry Margaret Donbavand .There is something that happened the following day,possibly the marriage.(i couldn't see the image) Now Mary and Margaret can cause confusion ,especially if Margaret is abbreviated to Marg., but Fabius married Mary Young in Liverpool 11 July 1822. Fabius says he is a bachelor.Why would Mary name one of her children after her husband's previous partner?
    F

Looks like it did take place the day after
    Margaret
    Donbavand
    Fabius
    Lee
    10 Jul 1819
    Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen
    By Licence
    Fabius
    Lee
    Margaret
    Donbavand
    Surrey
    England
    Parish Register Transcripts

Comment

This is the marriage entry. Had to remove top two entries as the image was too big to upload. Parish is Bermondsey as expected.

D7A874DC-8D3C-4416-AA3A-3B282B0B3F48.jpeg

Comment

I've found the first marriage licence

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Fabius Lea, Gent, the Curate is also the surrogate on the Licence

Looked in the newspapers and everything seems to happen after 1822
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Have you seen this public tree on ancestry? It’s written in Italian but google translate should help there. It has a few sources attached which make clear the two wives Margaret and Mary were different people. There is also a will which could be sent for at a cost of £1.50 as it was recorded in England.
          The tree owner does not have parents for Margaret and has set a death date for her as bef. 1822 so clearly hasn’t anything more on that as is going by the fact she must be dead before the 2nd marriage.

Comment

Baptism: 19 Feb 1840 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
            Fabius Donbavand Lea - [Child] of Fabius Lea & Mary
            Born: 31 Aug 1831
            Abode: Wavertree Parishof Childwall
            Baptised by: Thos. Halton Curate

so born 1831 - so has he named a son with his first wifes surname - looks like he has to me if he married Mary in 1822
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

do we know where Margaret Donbavand was from ?? the reason I ask is there is Donbavand family in Liverpool same period

Marriage: 24 Jan 1813 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
              John Donbavand - Plumber & Glazier, Parish of Liverpool
              Margaret Blair - Spinster, Parish of Liverpool
              .................................................. ..................
              Burial: 29 May 1817 St Mary, Hale, Lancashire, England
              Emma Donbavand -
              Abode: Wavertree Liverpool
              ( Hale is 4 mile from Childwall where Fabius lived and Wavertree is 1 mile from Childwall )
              .................................................. ....................
              Burial: 6 Dec 1818 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
              Catharine Donbavand -
              Abode: New Bird St.
              .................................................. .........
              Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
              oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
              adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
              merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
              coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Galloway Lass,I don't have Ancestry,so can't see the tree. Garstonite, that was one of my questions. Why would anyone do that? Besides,if he thought so much of his first wife,why did he pass himself off as a bachelor when he married Mary? I have sent for the will.
                F

Comment

What info do you have for them? Do you know if they were from Bermondsey area?

It is certainly odd, I can only think the second wife is linked to the Donbavand family in some way. Or even maybe him and that Margaret was a cousin?

the baptisms are on ancestry for the children.

Do you have the parents for either him or his 2 wives?

You have the second marriage details? She is spinster?
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                  Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Fabius had a language school in Liverpool. When in 1843 he took his family to Geneva,his brother took over the business. I found a marriage for the brother in Paris in 1823 and his parents were Jean Lea and Valentine Pennet. The 1861 census (when Louis P G is married to his second wife) describes him as born France,British Subject. I am presuming that Fabius was also born in France.I do not know the parents of the brides.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                      Do you have the parents for either him or his 2 wives?

You have the second marriage details? She is spinster?
                      Now this where it gets interesting / confusing (take your pick) . According to the Italian online tree I referred to earlier, there are two different sets of parents for Fabius Lea. One names a married father and a mother but the other has a mother and she appears to be French and the same father but no marriage.
                      Amongst the sources attached to the tree, there is an article from The Liverpool Mail 22 July 1843, advertising an auction of what looks to be pretty expensive house contents and a “useful light chariot”. The house is in Wavertree near the church. The house is to be let. The auction is at the behest of Mr Fabius Lea who “is leaving England”. It doesn’t say where he is going.
                      Another advert in The Liverpool Mercury 9 July 1852 is an appeal for the return of a “lost foreign letter“. Said letter had been posted in Liverpool and contained a “bank post bill” and was addressed to “Fabius Lea Esq. Chateua de Biolley, Chambery, Savoy”. There was a reward of 10 shillings.

The second marriage was by licence and with the permission of the bride’s parents and took place in St. Philip’s, Liverpool. It does not give a marital status for Mary.

806C35EB-2B5A-458B-9C5B-8284C2C40C01.jpeg
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 26-08-20, 10:58. Reason: Correction

Comment

First set of parents are John Lea 1763-1851 and Therese Valentine Honet.
                        Second set John Lea and Elizabeth Rigg.

Having difficulty getting a usable copy of his life story. Will need to fire up the laptop. Back presently. Can you pm your email address and I will send it to you once I have something workable.

Comment

According to the marriage licence,Mary Young is single. Fabius took his family to Geneva for the education of his sons.
                          Galloway Lass,is the father Jean Lea?
                          Last edited by fran; 26-08-20, 11:23. Reason: adding

Comment

Yes. See post #12

Comment

Thanks,I hadn't seen that! I think I have sent you my email address!

Comment

Some of the trees say John Lea’s wife was Elizabeth Rigg. Others say Elizabeth Nelson.
                                I found a BT image for the Lea / Rigg marriage and it says John Lea was a flour dealer which does sit right with the assertion in the Italian tree which says he was a captain in the Royal Navy.
                                The Lea / Nelson marriage was in Portsmouth which is more probable but I haven’t found an image so far. Only an entry in Hampshire Allegations for Marriage Licences vol.1 which describes him as a bachelor gent aged 21 and if the parish of Portsmouth. Elizabeth was a spinster aged 21 of the same parish. There is also an entry in Pallott’s.

Comment

Originally posted by fran View Post
                                  Thanks,I hadn't seen that! I think I have sent you my email address!
                                  It hasn’t reached me yet. Nothing in my messages inbox on here.

Comment

Have found John Lea Marriage to Elizabeth Rigg Liverpool 27 9 1784. John is a flour dealer.The Jean Lea in France is a professor of languages like Fabius

Comment

I have trIed to send pm again

Comment

Got it. Email on it’s way.

Comment

Working...
                                        X