Decipher cause of death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decipher cause of death?

Cause of death: septicaemia following ....

Just wondering what others see...

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Septicaemia following gun shot wound. Accident

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      Septicaemia following gun shot wound. Accident

Vera
      Thanks, Vera, that’s what I saw too. Hmm, begs a lot of questions! There must be a newspaper report somewhere if anyone fancies searching. I’ve had a cursory look for thumbnails on newspapers.com (haven’t got a sub) but not finding anything.

Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Gunshot may have been too common in America to make the news even then! I have to say I failed to read it at all when I looked earlier. Can see it now.
        Anne

Comment

Didn’t find anything on FMP newspapers. I think Anne is probably correct in that accidental gunshots were two a penny.

Comment

is this your Julia Szaraz
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow, Val - Which newspaper and what date?

The DC indicates that she was in Hopewell, Virginia, which is some 400 miles from Long Island, NY.

I think small town newspapers would have loved to tell the story of a GSW, and would have covered it. Current population is some 22,000. It may be possible to find a local newspaper that had a story about it.

Unfortunately, not this one:
              "The Hopewell News, locally managed and operated by HPC Media, was an 8,000 circulation twice-weekly newspaper that covers local news, sports and events of interest to the communities of Hopewell, Enon and Prince George. [2] For more than 90 years, The Hopewell News served the greater Hopewell and Prince George communities. The paper was shut down on January 18, 2018."

Comment

if you click on it, the name of the newspaper and the date are there

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  if you click on it, the name of the newspaper and the date are there
                  I can see report date of 24 Apr within the article but not the year or the name of the newspaper. Can you let us know these?

Thanks,
                  Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

These people may be able to tell you local resources

They have the newspaper mentioned above, from 1923 onward, so won't solve your question. But they may know other places to look.

The informant lived in New Jersey, so that gives a tie near Long Island.

They buried her in Petersburg, some 14 miles from Hopewell.

Someone might have the funeral home's records. It could be a gold mine if the records still exist.

gotta go.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      is this your Julia Szaraz
                      I’ve no idea Val. What year/newspaper is the report from? The Szarazes have been proving a real headache all day! I’ll post what I know for definite tomorrow when I’ve slept on them.
                      Christine
                      Researching:

Comment

its the Brooklyn Daily Eagle dated 25 Apr 1897

Comment

Val was she Jewish? FamilySearch catalog lists several cemeteries in their catalog - unfortunately, none online - and several of them seem to be Jewish. Might explain why they went there.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...Open=446297-12

Unfortunately, no funeral home's records.

Oh, my, it still exists:
                          Funeral Home in Chester, Virginia that offers unique funeral and cremation services. We serve Chester, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg, Chesterfield County, Matoaca, Dinwiddie, Prince George, and Sussex.

I had an amazing experience with a funeral home in the Chicago area - they knew where my relative was buried and had the obit on file. Other funeral homes - no. Still - if you're really interested, what do you have to lose by asking?

Comment

Here goes with the Szaraz summary so far:

The man I am interested in is Edmund Alexander Szaraz born 25 Sep 1898 Brooklyn who married my 2nd cousin 1x removed (Virginia Dyer) on 14 Jun 1919 in Brooklyn. I have the transcript of his birth reg, 1918 WW1 draft, 1920, 1930, 1940 US censuses, plus 1925 NY state census (all in Brooklyn) BUT I don’t know when he died, nor do I have him in 1900 and 1910 US nor 1905, 1915 NY censuses. So I decided to have a go at filling the gaps yesterday, via looking for him with his parents.

Birth - he is the first child of Alexander Szaraz, 40, metal dealer and Julia Szaraz nee Dombri (sic), both born in Budapest, Hungary. Their address 105 E 4th Street, which is in Brooklyn.

Birth https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...14&usePUB=true

Date of birth confirmed on WW1 draft in Sep 1918. Closest relation is Alexander Szaraz of 373 East 46th Street, Brooklyn. Edmund’s address is different - not sure, but I think it says c/o Dyer?
                            https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...4?pId=11928737

The next thing I found which I am sure is him and his mother Julia - a passport application on 17 Apr 1903 for a Julia Szaraz who is planning to travel to Hungary with her son. Passport to be posted to Sandor Szaraz who I assume is husband Alexander.
                            https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...56?pId=1109162

Julia’s birth details on this application seem to tie in with the details on the death certificate of the Julia Szaraz who dies as a result of the accidental gunshot wound in Hopewell in 1918.

I assume they travel some time in 1903. They arrive back in NY on 11 Aug 1906 so that accounts for why I can’t find them as a family in 1905 NY state census but I haven’t found husband Alex either.

Still drawing a blank on them in 1900, 1910 and 1915 - went down a few inconclusive rabbit holes yesterday which were driving me crazy.

So over to anyone who fancies a bit of sleuthing... I’m primarily interested in killing off and plugging the gaps for Edmund Alexander Szaraz, but the gunshot incident has got me interested in filling in details of his parents too. Also interested in working forward for the three Szaraz-Dyer children.
                            Word of warning - don’t get sucked in by a slew of Szarezes in Syracuse in upstate NY which is about 260 miles north of Brooklyn.

Thanks,
                            Christine

PS Photofamily - I haven’t found anything to date which suggests they were Jewish.
                            Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

The next thing I found which I am sure is him and his mother Julia - a passport application on 17 Apr 1903 for a Julia Szaraz who is planning to travel to Hungary with her son. Passport to be posted to Sandor Szaraz who I assume is husband Alexander.
                              Driving me crazy part 2 - I’ve just found a passport application in 1901 for a Sandor Szaraz who wants to travel with son Edmund b 25 Sep 1898 and his servant Elizabeth Nagy. Ship name Elbe and 1894 naturalisation date tie in with what Julia says on 1903 passport app.
                              What is going on?

Christine
                              Researching:

Comment

This is Sandor's citizenship record. It says he was born in Austria, but that was taken from the "Emperor Austria" bit, and at that time it was all part of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ue&pId=6747634

Also another passport application, this time for 2nd wife Elizabeth, I think, (possibly the Elizabeth Nagy from above?) in 1908. Daughter Ida also mentioned.
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...344&pId=970886

And Sandor's oath
                                https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...344&pId=987329
                                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Could this be Alexander and son? From Brooklyn Daily Eagle 18 November 1912.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                                    Could this be Alexander and son? From Brooklyn Daily Eagle 18 November 1912.
                                    Yes, that does seem to be him - he gives address of 183 South Street on his 1908 passport application - although in between times he is lodging at West 112th Street in Manhattan in 1910.

Christine
                                    Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                    X