Strange marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange marriage certificate

I have searched for years for a certain marriage. I finally found it on Ancestry with a link to Essex archives to be able to buy the certificate. I was so pleased as I needed the ladies parents names.
    It was from the church book and I have never seen one like it. Hardly any information. Any ideas why.
    I have never put an attachment on here so could someone let me know if it worked
    Thank you
    Ann
    Attached Files

They haven't finished filling it out, oddly. Not unusual for some details to have been forgotten, but her name is the only thing filled out.

Comment

Both foundlings possibly? Or both illegitimate and neither knew who their birth father’s were? Sometimes people would give the name of the father their mother later lived with or had married and would marry under that surname for decency’s sake / to save awkward questions but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

Saying that though, on my father’s side one married in woman had three daughters all father unknown in the workhouse infirmary. She was known as the wife of my father’s direct ancestor from 1841 census onwards. The first child had died soon after birth, the second and third are with them 1841 and were shown with my ancestor’s surname and again in 1851 and 61 along with a fourth daughter using the same surname. When the second daughter married though she used the name she was born with and father’s details are blank.

Comment

You could always try a copy from the gro, see if that was filled out properly?

Comment

I think Matilda may be with her father and a sister in 1841 at Shenfield Common, Brentwood - only a mile or so from her stated birth place of Hutton:

William Burrel 40 Ag Lab
          Matilda 15
          Sarah 12
          All born in County

William Burls married Elizabeth Passfield 17 Jun 1822 at Hutton, All Saints

A possible burial for Elizabeth is 4 Mar 1832 at Mountnessing, aged 39 of Brentwood

Comment

Lazy vicar. He probably filled out the gro return correctly. If various facts were unknown then there would be a line. This has the air of an unfinished entry.

OC

Comment

Following on from my last post, I can’t find a baptism for Matilda, but there does seem to a gap between 1823 & 1829:

12 Oct 1823 Hutton, William s/o William & Elizabeth Burls, Labourer, Hutton (buried at Hutton 23 Feb 1824)

10 May 1829 Mountnessing, Sarah d/o William & Elizabeth Burrell, Labourer, Mountnessing (Born 3 Mar 1829)
              29 Jan 1832 Mountnessing, Jane d/o William & Elizabeth Burls, Labourer, Mountnessing (Born 30 Sep 1831). Buried 12 Feb 1832 at Mountnessing, aged 4m
              16 Jan 1832, Mountnessing, William s/o William & Elizabeth Burls, Labourer, Mountnessing

Comment

Best I can find for Matilda is this one:

4 Sep 1825, Birch, Harriet Matilda d/o William & Elizabeth Burrell, Labourer, Brich (sic)

I don't see any other baptisms to this couple in Birch

Comment

Is there by any chance a BT for the marriage? I know these were less common post 1837, but I have come across some in Yorkshire.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have just noticed that there’s loads of stuff missing - the church name, the county, the year and the month. I had just looked at the empty fathers‘ parts. As OC says - an unfinished certificate. Never seen one as bad as this before.

Comment

Not much help from the transcriptions on ancestry and FMP. Neither have the image.
                      ancestry has the church as Widdington, St Mary The Virgin, Essex, England and FMP has the full date as 28 February 1845.
                      No BTs on either site.
                      Nothing on family search either.
                      Last edited by GallowayLass; 24-08-20, 19:46. Reason: Add info

Comment

must have ran out of ink and just did the important bits and was going to fill in after! Even the date, amazing. You would think he must have sent correct details to GRO?
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I question that the marriage actually took place except that it is clearly witnessed? Even the year and month are missing.
                          does it appear on the GRO index?
                          Anne

Comment

There are some public trees on ancestry. None have an image of the marriage certificate uploaded. Only one has a date of 1845 and a church for the marriage and their source is the ancestry transcription. The rest don’t have a marriage fact at all yet they all name Richard Stephen Brown as her husband.

There are five private trees. It might be worth messaging them to see if they possess a full marriage certificate.

Comment

did look on FMP and Ancestry can't see GRO entry from a search, looks like Saffron Walden is the reg district, as thought maybe it was Bishops Stortford and therefore Herts
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                I question that the marriage actually took place except that it is clearly witnessed? Even the year and month are missing.
                                does it appear on the GRO index?
                                Anne
                                Not in the FMP and ancestry civil marriage indexes and have looked both bride and groom.

Comment

Snap Carolyn

Comment

Nothing on FreeBMD either.

Comment

this must be the page - unless it is next quarter...

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview..._M18451AZ-0060
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Have just checked the actual image pages for all quarters of 1845 in case there was a reason GRO did not get notified soon after the marriage. Nothing for Matilda BURLS at all. There is a BURLES marriage 4Q and both BURLS and BURLES in 1Q and 2Q but none are Matilda.

Comment

Working...
                                        X