Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carmine Porrelli and Francesco Porrelli in Melbourne (1870s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carmine Porrelli and Francesco Porrelli in Melbourne (1870s)

Hello,

I am Sem Beljaars, 16 year old from the Netherlands and I am researching my family history. One of my ancestors, Carmine Antonio Porrelli, born on 26 July 1846 in Italy (Naples) arrived in Melbourne on 11 October 1874 from Glasgow. According to newspapers, he was an ice-cream manufacturer. He had a relative/brother named Francesco Antonio Porrelli, who also lived in the same period in Melbourne. I do not know when Francesco arrived in Melbourne or when he was born. Their names are often misspelled in newspapers and on passenger lists, which doesn't make my research any easier. The two left Melbourne on 13 September 1878 for Batavia, Dutch East Indies.

My problem is that I don't know where to begin searching. I have simply no experience with genealogical research in Australia, so I hope you can help me find more information about my Italian ancestors.

Kind regards,
    Sem Beljaars

arrived in Melbourne on 11 October 1874 from Glasgow.

I've had a quick look at Scottish census 1861/71 and can find no trace of Porrelli.
    Do you know if they were living in Scotland at that time?
    Cath.

Comment

1871 census in Glasgow. Lodger in a huge household. Year of birth and occupation match the passenger list.
      Carmine
      Porrello
      Lodger
      Married
      Male
      Labourer
      -
      Italy
      ITALY
      -
      -
      High Street
      Outer High or St Pauls
      Glasgow
      Lanarkshire
      Scotland
      Glasgow Central
      This person is also in the household. The next entry below Carmine.
      Antonia Porrello Lodger Unmarried Male 18 1853 Labourer Italy

Comment

Just found this - may be of use,

1871 Glasgow Census:-
        Carmine Pohrello, age 22, 55 High Street, Glasgow. Labourer.
        There is another Pohrello at the same address, also born Italy, aged 18 and also a labourer but I can't read their first name.
        Cath.

Comment

Snap, Christine.
          I also thought Antonia but surely that's a female name?
          Cath.

Comment

Don’t see either of them in 1861 or 1881

Comment

Dunno Cath, maybe the original will show an o instead of an a ?

Comment

I agree. If surname was wrong then that's the obvious answer.
                Cath.

Comment

From TROVE (the free website of Australian newspapers)
                  A gardener named Michael Slavison was charged at the Prahran Police Court on Monday with having used indecent language in a public vehicle, and with having assaulted ...

Francisco Antonio Porrelli Involved in a stabbing contretemps with an employee at his Ice cream Factory in Little Lonsdale street. There are advertisements for icecream from this address in 1875

there is an ad in the 'Argus' for real Italian icecream provided for parties, by C. Porrelli and Co 230 Bourke-street east. This may tie in with the balloon manufacture (see below)

Also this in 1901 on Ancestry

Missing Friends
                  Carmine Porrelli is inquired for at the instance of Anthony Porrelli, H.M.S. Egeria, of the Pacific Station, B.C. Description:- 48 years of age, 6 feet high, dark complexion, beard, whiskers and moustache. Came to Melbourne 22 years ago and when last heard of was residing at 42 Little Collins-street, Melbourne, being engaged in the manufacture of balloons - O.7330. 1st

Victoria Police Gazette August 7 1901

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Sembelj03 View Post
                    The two left Melbourne on 13 September 1878 for Batavia, Dutch East Indies.
                    F. Porelli, aged 35 departed Victoria Sep 1878 for Batavia via Sydney on the 'William Mackinnon"

Beverley

Comment

Thank you all for your help!

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
                      arrived in Melbourne on 11 October 1874 from Glasgow.

I've had a quick look at Scottish census 1861/71 and can find no trace of Porrelli.
                      Do you know if they were living in Scotland at that time?
                      The only thing I know is that Carmine Porrelli arrived in Melbourne from Glasgow. He arrived without his relative Francesco Porrelli, but they departed for Batavia together. The Carmine Porrelli in the Scotland census could very well be my ancestor, and seeing that his second name is Antonio it is likely that the "Antonia" from the census was one of his family members.

Do you know if there is any way of knowing when Carmine Porrelli arrived in Scotland? Or maybe census records in Melbourne? As I said, I have no experience with research outside of the Netherlands, so any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                        From TROVE (the free website of Australian newspapers)
                        A gardener named Michael Slavison was charged at the Prahran Police Court on Monday with having used indecent language in a public vehicle, and with having assaulted ...

1877 [/B]there is an ad in the 'Argus' for real Italian icecream provided for parties, by C. Porrelli and Co 230 Bourke-street east. This may tie in with the balloon manufacture (see below)

Also this in 1901 on Ancestry

Missing Friends
                        Carmine Porrelli is inquired for at the instance of Anthony Porrelli, H.M.S. Egeria, of the Pacific Station, B.C. Description:- 48 years of age, 6 feet high, dark complexion, beard, whiskers and moustache. Came to Melbourne 22 years ago and when last heard of was residing at 42 Little Collins-street, Melbourne, being engaged in the manufacture of balloons - O.7330. 1st

Victoria Police Gazette August 7 1901
                        Although the dates in the police gazette don't match my information, this could still be my ancestor, seeing that I haven't seen any other Carmine Porrelli in Melbourne at the time. Carmine owned a carousel in Batavia and his brother was involved in the theater business, so manufacturing balloons doesn't sound too strange to me. Maybe this Anthony Porrelli is the same "Antonia" from the Scottish census.

Comment

I thought it odd that the transcription of the 1871 census says Carmine was married but there is no one else with the same surname on the same page of the passenger list that he is on.

Comment

Wherever Carmine married, it was not in Scotland. There is only one entry for a name that could be meant to be Porrelli but it takes place in Canongate which is a registration district of Edinburgh. The marriage was the year after Carmine arrived in Australia.
                            PERILLI ANTONIO KAY BARBARA 1875 685/3 20 Canongate
                            If this is the same man who was in Glasgow on the 1871 census with Carmine, there’s nothing to say that when he left Scotland for Australia, he May have left through the port of Leith which is the port that serves Edinburgh. Do you have an Australian arrival date for your Antonio?

Comment

I have looked in the travel and migration records on ancestry and FMP for the arrival in United Kingdom 1861 - 1871 of a Car* P*r*l*i but not found a match.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                Wherever Carmine married, it was not in Scotland. There is only one entry for a name that could be meant to be Porrelli but it takes place in Canongate which is a registration district of Edinburgh. The marriage was the year after Carmine arrived in Australia.
                                PERILLI ANTONIO KAY BARBARA 1875 685/3 20 Canongate
                                If this is the same man who was in Glasgow on the 1871 census with Carmine, there’s nothing to say that when he left Scotland for Australia, he May have left through the port of Leith which is the port that serves Edinburgh. Do you have an Australian arrival date for your Antonio?
                                I don't know if or when Antonio moved to Australia. The only Porrelli's I know of are Carmine and Francesco.

Personally I don't think it's likely that Carmine married in Scotland, seeing that he migrated two times (to Australia and Indonesia), which doesn't seem like something you would do when you are married. It could be a transcription error.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                  I have looked in the travel and migration records on ancestry and FMP for the arrival in United Kingdom 1861 - 1871 of a Car* P*r*l*i but not found a match.
                                  His name could be spelled with a B instead of a P. When you say the name quickly it's possible to hear a "B" instead of a "P".

Comment

There's a few "poroli" bmd's in vic from the bmd registry, as early as 1860's, but mostly carlo.

australia had censuses, but they gathered the statistics needed after each one and destroyed them. I think the last two were optional to keep at the archives per household. We have them every 5 Years, though historically i think it was 10 to start with, like other british dominions. Our bmd records are quite detailed though, perhaps that was the trade off.

Comment

There are queries re the Porrelli's around the internet. There appears to be several Porrelli families though that may be getting confused.

De plek om al uw genealogische of familiehistorische vragen te stellen over uw voorouders, uw (verre) familieleden of andere personen die u zoekt die uit een van de landen binnen Australië, Afrika of Azië afkomstig zijn of die daar (tijdelijk) verbleven. Voor Indonesië bestaat er een apart forum. Websites met bronnen, indexen, documenten en meer vind je in de Stamboom Gids.

This is in dutch but can be easily translated para by para here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dutc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Also on Ancestry:

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/loca...ne/149.354.1.1

With regard to "Missing Friends:
                                      Carmine Porrelli is inquired for at the instance of Anthony Porrelli, H.M.S. Egeria, of the Pacific Station, B.C. "
                                      there is an article on Egeria which states that after a busy career in the East Indies ......... the ship arrived in British Columbia in 1898 and remained there until 1910.

Is it possible the brother's joined the Royal Navy in East Indies and ended up in Canada? or is this a red herring?

The Vancouver Maritime Museum's Open Collections is an online catalogue of Artifacts and Archival Material held at the museum.

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                        There are queries re the Porrelli's around the internet. There appears to be several Porrelli families though that may be getting confused.

De plek om al uw genealogische of familiehistorische vragen te stellen over uw voorouders, uw (verre) familieleden of andere personen die u zoekt die uit een van de landen binnen Australië, Afrika of Azië afkomstig zijn of die daar (tijdelijk) verbleven. Voor Indonesië bestaat er een apart forum. Websites met bronnen, indexen, documenten en meer vind je in de Stamboom Gids.

This is in dutch but can be easily translated para by para here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dutc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Also on Ancestry:

https://www.ancestry.com/boards/loca...ne/149.354.1.1

With regard to "Missing Friends:
                                        Carmine Porrelli is inquired for at the instance of Anthony Porrelli, H.M.S. Egeria, of the Pacific Station, B.C. "
                                        there is an article on Egeria which states that after a busy career in the East Indies ......... the ship arrived in British Columbia in 1898 and remained there until 1910.

Is it possible the brother's joined the Royal Navy in East Indies and ended up in Canada? or is this a red herring?

The Vancouver Maritime Museum's Open Collections is an online catalogue of Artifacts and Archival Material held at the museum.

The Dutch page was posted by me (I'm from the Netherlands). The Carmine Porrelli on the Ancestry page is a different Carmine than my ancestor, but seeing that they have the same first name it could be family.

Carmine did not leave the Dutch East Indies and died there on 18 December 1919. His brother Francesco however dissapeared from the records in the Dutch East Indies after 1880, so he could have migrated again.

Comment

Working...
                                        X