Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these signatures the same?

A26B14CA-E8FB-4EC8-A956-DAF8C6E0DB47.jpeg
    The top one is from a 1949 death when the informant was 44.
    The bottom one was a 1957 death when the informant was 52 - if it’s the same man that is.
    Anyone any good with comparing handwriting?

It is certainly similar. I think the slope is exactly the same, as are the ...iel at the end. If you have reason to believe they may be the same person I would say it is likely. I know my writing varies with the type of pen I am given and pens in those days were mostly aweful!
    Anne

Comment

I'd say yes

Comment

Yes, the same signature.

OC

Comment

Thank you. I was hoping for that answer. The signatory was a relative of my mother. He was born three years before his mother married but his birth father was joint informant on the birth certificate.
          One of the man’s living daughters told me that the her father’s birth father George Dalziel was not born Dalziel but used that surname as it was that of the people who had brought him up. After my discoveries today, I was pretty certain she was mis-remembering.
          George was born in the same village that he was residing in when he signed his son’s birth certificate. I also found that he married in 1915 from the very same residence in the village. He died in 1957 and the informant on his death is a John Dalziel (son) at an address a couple of doors along the street from the usual residence of the deceased. In all three certificates and the three censuses before George married, parents are correct. George did have some older siblings but none were that much older that they could physically have been one of his birth parents. On the 1957 death certificate, John Dalziel and the man who was informant on the certificate immediately above must have been given a pen overloaded with ink as both signatures are heavy and thick black compared to the informant on the certificate immediately below. The deaths are in Scotland where there are three deaths per register page. Same with births.
          There are oodles of trees containing George and the woman he went on to marry. Their marriage produced two daughters and there is nary a suggestion that he ever had a son. Their mother died 20 years before their father, they lived and died locally and they both had husbands. You would have expected that one of George’s two sons in law would have registered his death but I am pretty certain now that his only son did the honours.
          What I need to do now is find a voters roll for the village for 1956/7/8 to see if my Aunt also resided there. It’s her that is my maternal side. I also need to phone the mis-remembering daughter to ask her if she remembers ever living in that particular village as a child. There is another living daughter that I can also check with.
          If it all pans out, a brick wall will have been broken through

Comment

It is amazing what people forget. My father forgot he had an aunt Edith so I was very surprised when a descendant of aunt Edith contacted me. What made it all the more surprising was that my father had apparently visited her, not once but several times.

OC

Comment

Many thanks for the extra pairs of eyes everyone. Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                It is amazing what people forget. My father forgot he had an aunt Edith so I was very surprised when a descendant of aunt Edith contacted me. What made it all the more surprising was that my father had apparently visited her, not once but several times.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X