Probate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate question

Was it normal for the probate of someone who lived and died in Galway, Ireland to be done in England?

This is from the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995 and I noticed that generally the others don't have 'in England and Wales' written at the end.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

My 2nd Cousin lived in Gorleston area all his life and died in hospital in Yarmouth, Norfolk. Probate was Manchester where his cousin and executor lived. I didn't know until I received the will who the execut0r was going to be.

Have you looked at the will yet? Could be you will find , like me, that that was where his executor lived.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
      Was it normal for the probate of someone who lived and died in Galway, Ireland to be done in England?

This is from the National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995 and I noticed that generally the others don't have 'in England and Wales' written at the end.

Notice that it says 'in England and Wales'. This was just the property assets the deceased owned in England and Wales. There may have been more in Ireland. *I think!!*
      Anne

Comment

Agree with Anne. Estates are executed in the country where the assets are, because different countries have different probate laws.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          My 2nd Cousin lived in Gorleston area all his life and died in hospital in Yarmouth, Norfolk. Probate was Manchester where his cousin and executor lived. I didn't know until I received the will who the execut0r was going to be.

Have you looked at the will yet? Could be you will find , like me, that that was where his executor lived.
          Good thought, his oldest son lived in England at that time. I haven’t ordered the will but I will get on to that. I’m not sure that he would have had property in England but once I have seen the will we will know.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Will is ordered, I'll let you know when it arrives. Thanks as always for your help

Comment

Ireland currency at that time was the Punt which was worth slightly less than the pound Sterling. Maybe that has some bearing on the unusual wording??

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Is there a separate irish probate?

Comment

I don’t know. It’s not something I have looked into but I will now. Do you know where they can be found?

Comment

This site goes through the various periods and how to find them:

Comment

I had someone who was a twig in my family but was interested in the will as they had no children and thought they would have left nieces and nephews some money. They died in Spain and the English will explained that it didn't include the house in Spain as that was in a separate Spanish will.
                      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

http://www.cigo.ie/pages/guide-to-wi...ministrations/
                        That’s a really useful link, Kyle - thanks.
                        I went about it in a more convoluted way, ie
                        Will calendars for the Republic of Ireland 1922-1982 can be searched for here:
                        https://www.nationalarchives.ie/sear...gue/simple/#!/

I just did a simple search - probate 1972. You can then view the PDF for the year - it will take a while to download as it's 600+ pages but it does include John Cogavin.

Christine

Attached Files
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post

http://www.cigo.ie/pages/guide-to-wi...ministrations/
                          Thank you so much! Found him straight away - it probably would have taken me ages without that link.

Now to get hold of a copy of the actual will. Hhmm, how do I do that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post

Now to get hold of a copy of the actual will. Hhmm, how do I do that?
                            You can order a copy of the will from the National Archives in Dublin. There’s a link to the order form on the site below. In addition to the will, a typical probate file may have other documents such as the executors oaths, the grant of probate, and a schedule of assets. You can order those too but they all cost extra. The fees for this service are quite high compared with some other jurisdictions:

https://www.nationalarchives.ie/lega...ntary-records/

A will is €15, grant of probate €15 & the fee for the schedule of assets varies. In my opinion in most cases you probably only need the will, and perhaps the schedule of assets. Unless it’s for a legal purpose you don’t need a certified copy (the fee doubles for that).

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Thank you, Elwyn, I have done some searching around and have found the form PAS1 on the Irish Courts website but I wasn’t sure where I should post it to and what the fees were. On the page that I looked at it said 10€ for just a will so maybe they charge more via the National Archives website? I also couldn’t find a 'Contact Us' on the Courts page so I have sent a query to national archives.

Comment

Working...
                              X