Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help solve the missing marriage

I have in my tree
    Mary Ann Claxton (born 1834 Bale Norfolk), she married Thomas William Haines (or could be transcribed as Hines) 1851 In Walshingham Norfolk
    I know that they had at least two children Elizabeth born 1853 and Herbert born 1857. (I f you find more, please let me know).
    Between 1857 and 1859, Thomas must have died and Mary Ann married James HERBERT.

This is supported by the 1861 where census James and Mary Ann Herbert are together, with my 3x Gt grandmother Dorcas who was born 1860, her elder siblings and also Mary Ann's first marriage son Herbert Haines
    I do know that James Herbert was previously married to Jane Whittle, who died in 1853 and there are children on the 1861 who stem from that marriage.

I know about Mary Ann's marriages and surnames, as I have a copy of Dorcus Herbert's birth certificate, where Mary Ann gives her surname (badly transcribed) as "late Hines, formerly Claxton"

I cannot find the marriage for James Herbert to Mary Ann it should be between 1857 and 1859 in Suffolk
    It is only the marriage I am looking for, as I have all census, siblings, children etc.

Any help would be appreciated, as this is the final link in the chain for this group.

Many thanks

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

There's a marriage a bit later

Mary Ann Hynes to James Herbert Q1 1871 Cosford
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

thought I was missing something ,well done Elaine

Comment

Oh I do wish they'd marry when they have children and knew how to spell in those days

Many thanks Elaine, that's another cert I can order

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I wished the same often too, only I wish they had mostly married
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
            I wished the same often too, only I wish they had mostly married
            After a little research, I am 99% sure that it was because she separated from Thomas Haines and they could not marry until he had died.
            There many transcription discrepancies in DoBs and surnames that also muddy the water.
            • 1841 in South Creake, Norfolk is a Thomas HAYNES born c1830, mother Sarah (no father).
            • 1851 in Hindringham, Thomas Hines, born c 1830 Kettlestone, with his uncle
            • On 26 Sep 1851, Mary Ann married Thomas William Haines at the parish church of Hindringham, Norfolk. Both were under 21 years old on the register entry and Thomas’ father was Ezekiel
              • Kettlestone is only 5 miles from Hindringham,.
            • 1861 census in Brancaster, there is a Thomas Haines born c1834 in Kettlestone Norfolk, but he states unmarried (it may be a lie?).
            • 1869 in North Creake, Norfolk, Thomas Haines died (age 38)
            • 1871, in the registration district of Cosford, Mary Ann Hynes married James Herbert
              This could be a mis-spelled version of the Haines name, as I have seen it as Hines (on birth certificate of Dorcus), Haynes and other variants .

Researching:

Comment

I think you are probably right there, if they didn't get on at all there was little chance of a divorce back then.

At least the way they have gone about it is not against the law. I have one or two examples of this happening. One couple didn't marry until after all their children had and their daughter was the witness.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
              X