Using Source Citations in FTM 2019 - UK Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Source Citations in FTM 2019 - UK Records

In my early family history research I was more inclined to be paper based with a brief note then added within Family Tree Maker. (I am now using Family Tree Maker 2019)

Whilst now thinking of a complete reverse of this, improve the amount of detail added to the program and ultimately reduce the amount of paper and files, I have also now realised that all my Source Citation information currently noted in FTM in this area is minimal and very poor.

So that I can try and get some system going and thus correct this error I have been looking at Youtube videos on Source Citations. Cousin Russ. Ancestry’s Crista Cowan (The Barefoot Genealogist). But they are all American Records based and seemed (well to me anyway) to be aimed at least at those that have some awareness of this use and I am struggling to link what is being said to UK records.

Does anyone know of a helpful UK records based Source Citations for Dummies tutorial. Perhaps a template idea for UK Census and BMD records would at least get me started.

George

Hi George.
    It might be worth you joining the closed group on Facebook. They have some really knowledgeable FTM2019 users there.

This group is for users of the Family Tree Maker software. If you have not yet purchased the Family Tree Maker (FTM) program, please review https://support.mackiev.com/431886-Whats-New-in-FTM-2019...

Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thankyou for that.

Shame really as am not on Facebook. Presume one cannot join that Group without first joining Facebook.

Ah well!

George

Comment

George, I am in the same situation - self taught and madly trying to pull my socks up source wise. I have found ancestry quite good for having notes about the origins of the data in their datasets and have built a good number of master sources that way. Click on the name of the dataset you want to cite and the details of the contents and their original source(s) are shown. There is also a huge document produced by the University of Strathclyde on how to build citations. I will look online for it tomorrow and post a link if no one else has found it before then. Bedtime is calling.

Comment

That was easier found than I thought it would be. Hope it helps.

Comment

I have done very little on this, what I learnt to my cost was I set up a source years ago when Ancestry added probate and it was not a standard thing. they must have then added it as stad some years ago, so my data was half and half eg using my, so I had to go and amend all my old records to the std Ancestry.

No help, but worth watching for. interesting link GallowayLass will have a proper look through.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
              Thankyou for that.

Shame really as am not on Facebook. Presume one cannot join that Group without first joining Facebook.

Ah well!

George
              you can join FB and set all your options to unsearchable and private. Some comments on the group can be a bit odd, so just ignore them.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Thankyou. I thought that Strathclyde link was interesting and useful.

And the suggestions for Facebook, 'unsearchable and private'. Interesting. I have since come across a website where one can obtain a temporary email address, although whether this will be acceptable to Facebook will remain to be seen. Nothing to hide but resent the all eyes of Facebook.

Thinking about it, somewhat ironical when we are finding out information about our Ancestors. If they could look down on us now, I wonder what they would think as we find out more and more about their lives.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Xenofex2 View Post
                  Thankyou. I thought that Strathclyde link was interesting and useful.

And the suggestions for Facebook, 'unsearchable and private'. Interesting. I have since come across a website where one can obtain a temporary email address, although whether this will be acceptable to Facebook will remain to be seen. Nothing to hide but resent the all eyes of Facebook.

Thinking about it, somewhat ironical when we are finding out information about our Ancestors. If they could look down on us now, I wonder what they would think as we find out more and more about their lives.

George
                  yes any email will do - gmail or hotmail
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

we talked about it here, although FB layout now changed!
                    https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...using-facebook
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Thankyou again, this time for that Facebook chat on this Forum. Certainly food for thought.

As with regards to an email I saw a Tech link for 'Mailmask', apparently a way to create a totally private email address. What with that and those other Forum suggestions, wrong DOB, different name, so totally anonymous and suitable I would have thought for only accessing Groups that one is interested and not being identified by 'Facebook'.

Brill.

George

Comment

Don't forget, George, that Facebook has lots of local and worldwide family history sites that you can join too. Some are closed groups with which you need to register. Even more privacy then! ?
                        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
                        X