• Time
  • Show
Clear All

this Jane Hartley that is to be transported in 1843:
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rue&pId=509738

is from Walton Le Dale
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

On this link https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/life?id=fsbccc93701

click on the more details at the top it says:

jane hartley.JPG

Have you checked out this born in Manchester? I can see elsewhere it says born in Blackburn, people were a long way away so could be completely wrong on death record

there is also this link - but I assume this has already been found:
      http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubs...chain/c40a3564
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I’m totally stumped with Jane on the 1841 census. I have also looked at Tasmania’s online records and have seen a record in a register of convicts 1846 giving permission for Charles Beeson (sometimes spelled Beetson) and also a convict to marry Jane Hartley but I’m darned if I can find an actual marriage certificate where Jane might have declared who her father was or left a blank. Just having no luck. Her will didn’t help either as she left everything to her daughter - another Ellen who was a married woman at the time. The site was playing up so I just saw the first page of three. There might be a nugget in those other two pages if Jane left instructions to her daughter to send something back to family in England.
        Have you got the full will? If not, it’s free to download at Tasmania Archives site.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
          On this link https://www.digitalpanopticon.org/life?id=fsbccc93701

click on the more details at the top it says:

jane hartley.JPG

Have you checked out this born in Manchester? I can see elsewhere it says born in Blackburn, people were a long way away so could be completely wrong on death record

there is also this link - but I assume this has already been found:
          http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubs...chain/c40a3564
          Wow!! That is a very comprehensive link Carolyn - well done. Confirms that there appears to be no marriage certificate extant. I did notice that her death certificate says she came from Manchester.
          I notice that in the big link she was a house maid and stole from Mrs Robinson. Will have another try for her in Preston 1841.

Comment

Nope, still no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
              This could be her though.
              Blackburn Standard 20 December 1837 page 3 column a

8B405168-9DD2-40FC-AB33-87CBC9F75466.jpeg
              one of the other girls was Margaret Hartley reported in Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser Saturday 16 December 1837

I actually have no idea where this is, it says Holt town and Butler Street - I think it is in Manchester. so guessing it can't be her, even though she is with Margaret!
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post

It doesn’t help you with her parents but did you know she was on the ship’s sick list for a few days with piles? Her age here is given as 21. There is an ancestry link on the page.
                http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...870425&catln=7

I found it interesting on a number of fronts - the various ailments, how young most of them were, the number of children mentioned. Also - had never considered before now that there were female warders on the transport ships.

Christine
                wow - what a long list, long journey, and I suppose many were already in poverty when convicted. Interesting

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History says that the Holt Town Mills were in the Beswick area of Ancoats, Manchester.

Comment

This map clip shows Beswick Street and Butler Street run into each other.

F9EDB82F-7AEF-498F-85E1-044867282906.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                      I am a little bit stuck............I cant find her parents.

Jane Hartly born abt 1825 in Blackburn Lancashire.

Her convict records give the following information.

Mother Ellen.

Brothers William and John.

Sisters Isabella, Margaret and Mary.

Jane Hartly came to Tasmanian aboard the Woodbridge in 1843.

She married Charles Beeson.

Any help would be appreciated.
                      Jane Hartley born 1821 Blackburn died Australia 24 July 1898
                      There are 5 private images and 1 private story attached to a private tree on ancestry. The member who owns the tree is lovefamily_1 who is based in Traralgon, VIC, Australia. Signed in last week.
                      Is this you or do you already have contact with this person?

Comment

Grace’s Guide to British Industrial History says that the Holt Town Mills were in the Beswick area of Ancoats, Manchester.

So not sure if it is the right Jane, if she was stealing in October in Blackburn area.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

There sure are a lot of unidentifiable Jane Hartley around What struck me as odd in the newspaper cutting about Rachael Duckworth turning up at the door and haranguing the people inside, she had not been at home in Preston when the couple were looking for her a fortnight previous. She had gone to Bolton. That’s a fair old trip to make in the first half of the 1800s.

Comment

There sure are a lot of unidentifiable Jane Hartley around What struck me as odd in the newspaper cutting about Rachael Duckworth turning up at the door and haranguing the people inside, she had not been at home in Preston when the couple were looking for her a fortnight previous. She had gone to Bolton. That’s a fair old trip to make in the first half of the 1800s.
                            Yes, sure is, wonder how you would do it, I guess the railway was up and running. All those mills, was quite a lot of wealth amongst the owners. Bet Michael Portillo knows.

the article would make Dorothy Janes sister, if I am reading it right. As there is no father mentioned on the list, I assume the list of relatives are those living, so there could be more siblings.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Preston Chronicle 07 January 1843 jane hartley.JPG

Here is the article in the paper - nothing to suggest her family. There are various court mentions for her on ancestry - but still no link to family.
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/co...htarg=SZd44459

I put them in date order as ancestry has no such facility:
                              Jane Hartley 6 Mar 1835 Preston Petitions
                              Jane Hartley 1837 Lancashire Order Books
                              Jane Hartley 1837 Lancashire Order Books
                              Jane Hartley 4 Apr 1839 Preston Petitions
                              Jane Hartley 1 Jun 1842 Preston Petitions
                              Jane Hartley 1 Jun 1842 Lancashire Order Books
                              Jane Hartley 19 Oct 1842 Salford Petitions
                              Jane Hartley 19 Oct 1843 Salford Petitions
                              Jane Hartley 19 Oct 1843 Lancashire Order Books
                              Jane Hartley 19 Oct 1843 Lancashire Order Books
                              Jane Hartley 1843 Lancashire Order Books
                              Jane Hartley 1843 Preston Petitions
                              Jane Hartley 1843 Lancashire Order Books
                              I am assuming the Salford one is not her, newspaper article say 4 or 5 times before.

Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Canal travel was cheap, so was a horse and cart! Not sure how cheap or convenient the railways were that early.

OC

Comment

...but took a while compared to trains.

wonder how much it was.
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

By 1844 third class travel was set at 1d per mile. The canal industry had slashed their prices much earlier than this and "mainly kept their custom".

OC

Comment

According to google 24 miles between the 2 town’s railway stations. Could a millworker (which given her address, I presume she was) have afforded 4 shillings for the return journey?

Comment

Hi flashieboy,

I have been researching Jane Hartley too. She is my 4th Grandmother. Looking at the baptismal registers (copies) for St Albans church in Blackburn seems like a good lead to me. I have a question for everyone, does Microfilm mean that you need to physically go there or is this info online? Please see below. Thanks

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum, I don't know much about the records from there, there are some Lancashire records on Ancestry but not many.

For the Lancs records office it would mean looking at the film there, or maybe they will send a copy for a charge. Here in Beds some are available in Libraries too.

I think there are some people that know the records there on here, hopefully they will reply and tell you more. Which record set is it you are interested in, it doesn't have the title in your link just the dates.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                          X