Who are Jane Hartly's parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are Jane Hartly's parents?

I am a little bit stuck............I cant find her parents.

Jane Hartly born abt 1825 in Blackburn Lancashire.

Her convict records give the following information.

Mother Ellen.

Brothers William and John.

Sisters Isabella, Margaret and Mary.

Jane Hartly came to Tasmanian aboard the Woodbridge in 1843.

She married Charles Beeson.

Any help would be appreciated.

I’m not finding anything for her but GENUKI has that the RC church in Blackburn is St. Alban’s and the baptismal registers (copies) for the date you need are at Lancashire Record Office.Forgot to mention that there are nine other RC churches in Blackburn but none were founded early enough for your date. St Alban was founded before 1783.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 11-08-20, 14:25. Reason: Add info

Comment

The records for St Albans are transcribed on Lan-opc, but not a Jane nor an Isabella.

I am mystified though - GL, how did you know they were RC???

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        The records for St Albans are transcribed on Lan-opc, but not a Jane nor an Isabella.

I am mystified though - GL, how did you know they were RC???

OC
        It says so on her admission records to Australia.
        I found nothing on Lan-opc either OC

Comment

have you found her in 1841 census?
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I couldn't find any of them on the 1841 census.

The only possible/maybe clue I could find was she had a grandson called Whalley.

Some trees on Ancestry have her parents as William Harltey and Mary Aldersly...but there daughter Jane is still with them on the 1851 census.

Comment

I found an isabella and Mary in Preston as miliners

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource

guess not that far from blackburn

and did find a William and John with a Mary Billington

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...30&usePUB=true

names not really unusual so could be anyone I guess

quite a few Hartleys in Whalley, sounds like could be a link, not finding a family with only those names, a couple of Isabellas

They seem to be working in the cotton mill, but another lot were farming

Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                I am a little bit stuck............I cant find her parents.

Jane Hartly born abt 1825 in Blackburn Lancashire.

Her convict records give the following information.

Mother Ellen.

Brothers William and John.

Sisters Isabella, Margaret and Mary.

Jane Hartly came to Tasmanian aboard the Woodbridge in 1843.

She married Charles Beeson.

Any help would be appreciated.
                Have you seen this thread on rootschat from 2012-2013?
                https://www.rootschat.com/forum/inde...topic=618426.0

One thing I took from it is that she was born earlier than 1825 - she is recorded as 22 when she was transported.
                It doesn’t help you with her parents but did you know she was on the ship’s sick list for a few days with piles? Her age here is given as 21. There is an ancestry link on the page.
                http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...870425&catln=7

I found it interesting on a number of fronts - the various ailments, how young most of them were, the number of children mentioned. Also - had never considered before now that there were female warders on the transport ships.

Christine
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I think this is the report of her first conviction in 1837

Perhaps someone with a Findmypast sub could attach the article to see if it offers any further clues.
                  I couldn’t find anything for the 1843 conviction but someone else might get better results than I did.

Christine

Researching:
                  HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I can do it later if no one else does, I didn't find that one last night, but did find another when she was 16 stealing a gown, that is mentioned on the thread you highlighted. I will get that too.

For some reason article is not highlighted when I click through, so must be on next page. I sometimes find this a problem on the papers.
                    Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by flashieboy View Post
                      I couldn't find any of them on the 1841 census.

The only possible/maybe clue I could find was she had a grandson called Whalley.

Some trees on Ancestry have her parents as William Harltey and Mary Aldersly...but there daughter Jane is still with them on the 1851 census.
                      In the early 1800s, Blackburn was rapidly expanding and drawing in many people from the surrounding villages. The whole area of that part of Lancashire - around Blackburn, the Ribble Valley and Preston was a major centre of Catholicism and so there are numerous chapels and churches around - most have records that start in the 1780s/90s and are available published by the Catholic Records Society (CRS) , but not all.

If she had a connection to the village of Whalley, and she was RC - I would try getting a search of the baptism registers for St Peter's, Stonyhurst (http://www.stpetersstonyhurst.org.uk/). That's where I found my own GG Grandmother's baptism in 1822 - even though she then lived in Blackburn for most of her life. They are available on film at Lancashire Archives, but not on-line as far as I know.

Looking through my copies of the CRS registers, the HARTLEY/HEARTLEY name features most heavily in the RC registers of Brindle, which is on the other side of Blackburn nearer to Preston - but the CRS baptisms only go up to about 1815, but that might be an area to look at.
                      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Preston Chronicle Saturday 21 October 1837 page 3 column c.
                        I have included a bit more than Jane’s conviction in the snip as above her a Henry HARTLEY is also convicted.

D97A34DA-6769-40CC-9213-0BCCE60AECAA.jpeg

This is column b, the beginning of the court report.
                        AF074707-594B-4AE0-A26C-3C8CBDB8877E.jpeg

Comment

Preston Chronicle 03 July 1847 page 4 column f

E91D2B0D-33A0-4587-AD14-C271D86897BB.jpeg

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Karmazov......I have her born about 1825 because her death notice in 1898 said she was aged 73.

GallowayLass...................my Jane Hartley was sent to Tasmania in 1843.........so that cant be her.

Comment

This could be her though.
                              Blackburn Standard 20 December 1837 page 3 column a

8B405168-9DD2-40FC-AB33-87CBC9F75466.jpeg

Comment

flashieboy, you can't always rely on age reported at time of death as being reliable - that is always given by a third party.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

No idea if this is your Jane Hartley or the other one found in 1847 but copied it anyway given that it’s another assault.
                                  Blackburn Standard 23 September 1835 page 8 column c

9599A058-13CC-4418-A311-26393E2F62A6.jpeg

Comment

The one above could well be a different person as there is yet another report Blackburn Standard 11 March 1835 on the accidental death by burning at home of a Jane Hartley aged 78 who lived in Thomas Street, New Preston. This Jane Hartley had a son but it is never made clear whether she was a Miss or Mrs Hartley.
                                    The area known as New Preston was ?built by/for? the Horrocks family of cotton factory fame. New Preston Mill (one of their many mills) no longer exists was in the area of Campbell Street, Bread Street and New Mill Lane. Bread Street no longer exists, nor does Thomas Street (although there is a St. Thomas Street some small distance away). The housing of the area was for mill workers. It’s a mile or so from this area to Walton le Dale. There is a chance that 1847 Jane Hartley in trouble for bad drains was related somehow to the old lady who died 1835 in Thomas Street, New Preston.
                                    Probably worth parking these articles on the back burner in case one day, something matches up.

Comment

in the original transcript quoted on 1st post there is no mention of father, is this because he is deceased? Is that normal to not mention him?

Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                        The one above could well be a different person as there is yet another report Blackburn Standard 11 March 1835 on the accidental death by burning at home of a Jane Hartley aged 78 who lived in Thomas Street, New Preston. This Jane Hartley had a son but it is never made clear whether she was a Miss or Mrs Hartley.
                                        The area known as New Preston was ?built by/for? the Horrocks family of cotton factory fame. New Preston Mill (one of their many mills) no longer exists was in the area of Campbell Street, Bread Street and New Mill Lane. Bread Street no longer exists, nor does Thomas Street (although there is a St. Thomas Street some small distance away). The housing of the area was for mill workers. It’s a mile or so from this area to Walton le Dale. There is a chance that 1847 Jane Hartley in trouble for bad drains was related somehow to the old lady who died 1835 in Thomas Street, New Preston.
                                        Probably worth parking these articles on the back burner in case one day, something matches up.
                                        interesting that you mention Horrocks - James Horrocks brought to court by Isabella Hartley for bastard child - and ordered to pay costs.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rue&pId=788544

wonder if he was connected to the family, this was in Oswaldtwistle, lots of mills there too.
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X