Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Lily Irene EDMUNDS (nee ROFE), NSW Australia

Hi all,

Lilly Irene ROFE (b. 14/12/1907, Footscray VIC Australia), eldest child of Albert Frederick ROFE and Sarah James ROFE (nee BRERETON), left home around 1923 after a disagreement with her father. Apart from a sighting at a train station a couple of years later, it appears that her family never saw her again.

In 1939 Lilly (or "Lily", according to the spelling on the marriage certificate) married a Charles EDMUNDS at Gilgandra NSW Australia. Charles was the eldest son of William EDMUNDS and Johanna EDMUNDS (nee RINDFLEISH) of Gulargambone NSW Australia. Anecdotal evidence from a sister-in-law of Lily's in 1996 indicates that Charles and Lily EDMUNDS left the area in 1940. It is at this point that Lily seems to drop off the radar.

Anecdotal evidence from a younger sister (who was born after Lily had left home) has it that her mother told her that Lily had died in Sydney in 1947, but I haven't been able to find any conclusive evidence of this. Charles EDMUNDS died in Sydney in 1968, so it would appear that there was a move to Sydney at some point. However, Charles' death notice refers to him as the husband of "Neta" (whom I have established as Neta Mary ABBOTT, nee NEAVES), and electoral rolls establish Charles and Neta as having lived at the same Sydney address for many years. Interestingly his death certificate gives his conjugal status as "Never Married" and lists no children. Neta died in Sydney in 1970.

I haven't been able to find any records relating to Lily post-1939. It would appear that Charles and Lily separated at some point, and it may be that Lily changed her name, moved interstate or overseas, or that for some reason her death was unrecorded.

I’d appreciate if any of the sleuths on this site can help solve this mystery, or if anyone with knowledge of the EDMUNDS or ABBOTT families of NSW Australia can assist.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum rofe2028.

"Charles' death notice refers to him as the husband of Neta " - as relatives would describe his status and death certificate showing his marital status "never married" is probably nearer the truth. The implication being that his 1st wife Lily neither divorced him nor had died to his knowledge.
    I gather you have never found a certificate for this marriage.
    Without that it would be hard to be certain that the Charles on the death certificate is definitely your Charles Edmunds.

Not much help I'm afraid but I'm sure some of our more experienced Ozzie sleuths may come along later to help.
    ​​​​​​​
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Can't see a death for Lily in Trove except for one shown below in 1942 but husband is a Tom.

The Ryerson Index
      EDMUNDS Lily Death notice 16JUL1942, Death late of Hornsby, Sydney Morning Herald 17JUL1942

edit: deaths for this paper only to 1954 :(
      Last edited by Katarzyna; 10-08-20, 11:27.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Working...
      X