Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please - I almost went wrong on this one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - I almost went wrong on this one!

I'm chasing up the children of Martin Holt and Mary Mainprize who married in Leven East Yorkshire in 1831.
    They had five children bp at Withernwick, E Yorks, before Martin died in January 1841. His widow Mary was recorded in Withernwick in 1841 with four surviving children, plus Jane, a daughter from before the marriage.
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...6&pId=11671565

I am trying to trace Ann Holt, bp Withernwick1834
    In 1851 she was in Hornsea https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...6&pId=11070059
    Then in 1854 she married at Hornsea, recorded as daughter of Martin Holt, labourer. The groom was Richard Sharp, a labourer, son of Richard Sharp. At the time of the marriage both parties were of Hornsea.

I was then on a roll and found Richard and Ann in census 1861 -1911 in the village of Patrington. When I went back and checked for finer details,however, I discovered that Ann Sharp consistently gave her place of birth as Outhwaite/Owthwaite (outside the town of Withernsea) about 15 miles from Withernwick and her date of birth was a couple of years after that of Ann Holt.
    It didn't sit quite right so I went back to base and discovered another Richard Sharp marriage, 1860 at Patrington, to Ann Eliza Dearlove - Richard (son of Richard and a labourer ) was a widower and the Ann Eliza fitted with the bp entries for the Sharp children I'd found in the run of census returns. Ann Eliza Dearlove had been bp at Patrington in the relevant year. Obviously I'd had a near miss and had almost been barking up the wrong tree

However, I cannot find either a burial or a civil death registration to fit an 1854-1860 death of Ann Sharp. Neither can I find any trace of an appropriate AnnHolt/Hought/Sharp after the 1854 marriage.
    Can anyone spot her, please? I just can't see for looking now, I've gone "record blind!"

Thanks for reading.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

there is an assault on an Ann Sharp in June 1854 in Withernwick, no help a really, not sure when she was married in that year. So may not even be her.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

This looks like her death:

SHARP, ANN aged 21 GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in PATRINGTON Volume 09D Page 129

Probably connected to these two events:

Birth - SHARP, ANN ELIZA mmn HOLT GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in PATRINGTON Volume 09D Page 202
      Death - SHARP, ANN ELIZA aged 0 GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in PATRINGTON Volume 09D Page 130

Baptism 11 Aug 1855 Patrington Anne Eliza d/o Richard & Anne Sharp, Patrington, Labourer

Comment

teasie good find - Janet in Yorkshire Richard clearly liked the name Ann!
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Thank you teasie, that looks an extremely likely trio of events and ties up the loose ends beautifully.

Just checked the Patrington burial registers again on FMP and the index and images don't correspond ; the BT's for that period don't seem to have been filmed. That's reassured me that it's probably a transcription problem and I'm NOT completely losing my marbles. They are fairly distant twigs on my tree (Ann's father Martin was the twin brother of my 3xgt grandmother, another Ann Holt) so I can't really justify buying a death cert.I will have to see if the record office has any additional info on Patrington registers as it would be nice to know where mother and daughter were buried..

cbcarolyn , Richard reminds of my former builder, who had had his wife's name tattooed on his arm.They parted company and he soon had a new lady. When I asked what her name was, I must have looked a bit startled at his response, so he just said "Wah, missis I'd already gotten t'tattoo, so I just leahked for another model wi' same name."

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
          X