Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Find army records

Hello
    Can anyone help with finding the army records for my grandad please. His name is Henry Wynn born 29th November 1893 in Woolwich. His fathers name was Richard and mother was Charlotte. He married Louisa Sumner in 1915 in Woolwich. They already had 1 daughter Margery. I found my other grandad on Ancestry but not this one.
    If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful. I only have Ancestry
    Regards Ann

I'm assuming he survived the war? Bear in mind that many of the WW1 records were lost in bombing raids during WW2. I've found it's much easier to find information on the lost than it is of those who returned home.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yes Jan he did survive the war. I totally agree with you about the records
      Regards Ann

Comment

Not on FMP either, Ann.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I think I've found him for you.

There is an entry in the casualty list published 28 Sep 1917 for Cpl H Wynn No. 6494 Queens (Royal West Surrey) Regiment, which gives his Place of birth/enlistment as Woolwich SE.

He also appears in the casualty list published 14 Aug 1916, at which time he was Lance Corporal

FmP has a document showing him as being in the 7th Bn, possibly B Company, and states “GSW Thigh L. 9/1 Dis to Base Dtls Etaples ex 2 Can Gen H. 2 Jun 17”
          So he was injured in his (left?) thigh and had been in No. 2 Canadian General Hospital. Their war diary shows a convoy of 75 to England on 2 June 1917, but I’m not sure if this means he was one of those men.

FMP also has a transcription in the record series “Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment Rough Register Of Recruits 1914-1917” which says that he attested 1 Sep 1915 for 3 years aged 21 years 280 days. By my calculations this makes his DoB 25 November 1893 – close enough!. The originals are held at the Surrey History Centre, reference QRWS/1/3/3

His medal card is indexed under Henry Wynn, G/6494, and the medal award rolls show he was in the 1st Battalion and then the 7th, but the date he moved from one to the other isn’t shown.

Comment

Well done teasie. Those are great finds

Comment

Teasie, You are a star, thank you very much
              Regards
              Ann

Comment

Working...
              X