X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jennie H View Post
    Wow!! Thank you so much.
    It just shows what a novice I am.
    I had honestly searched for some records but apart from finding some census returns and births I was really stuck. Where did the marriage certs come from please?
    I can’t wait to add these to the tree. I’ve got a busy day so it will be this evening ?
    Not a novice Jennie at all, it all depends on how and where you are looking and what criteria you use. Everyone can get differing results, some use wildcarding some don't [Lyn** or *ynch or L?nch] could bring up lots of different results. It's often that 'less is more' and once you have a selection of hits then you add more detail and begin narrowing it down.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yea Gods! The later censuses say she was born in Wales. I never thought to look in The Bermuda Triangle! I should have realised because I have plenty of married ins to Daddy’s family who were BMDd in that part of the country that is sometimes England - Shropshire, sometimes Wales - Flintshire and bits of Denbighshire.
      It’s not as if I don’t have experience of Bermuda Triangles. I have lost a 3xGGF in the one where Shropshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire come together.
      Chirk for reg purposes post 1837 is Oswestry which has always had a foot in both countries depending on time and date.

Comment

Harriet must have thought she was older as her age in censuses when she was married gives a yob of 1826 and this tallies with her age at death in 1894.
        If these are her parents (only marriage I can see is same one already found. There was an 1828 Flintshire marriage of a TP to a Harriet but her name was DASHWOOD HUGHES) then they must have been trying to hide from the enumerator that some of their children were born before they got round to marrying! Nothing unusual in that. The family in my earlier post my 2xGGM had four children before the vicar of Ellesmere put his foot down so to speak LOL Whether 2xGGF was the actual father of the first three is anybody’s guess. The fifth child (my GGF) was the first legitimate one.
        This marriage took place at Connah’s Quay, Flintshire which later was made into its own parish but at this time was in Northop parish.

F132325D-FCEB-40CF-86FD-2B34D141A5F4.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
          Interesting to see the surname Jones cropping up in teasie's post #18 above.

Jay
          Yes, I thought that. And I think maybe there could be some mileage in the suggestion that Edward Jones & Edward Lynch are the same person.

In 1861 Edward Jones says he was born Furnace Bank, Staffordshire, which appears to be within Normacot, Stone, as shown in this 1871 census entry: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...44&pId=6627397

In 1871 Edward Lynch says he was born in Fenton, which is 2-3 miles from Normacot

On 27 Dec 1840 an Edward Linch (sic) married Emma Sanders in Fulford, Stone. He was a collier, and his father was Thomas Linch (sic), Collier. These details match the 1870 marriage.

In 1851 Edward, Emma and her daughter Elizabeth Sanders are in Longton. He is 32, a coal miner born Normacot.

Emma died in 1853, and in 1854 Edward Lynch (35 Widower collier, abode Furnace, father Thomas, collier) married Sarah Brain nee Berrisford, aged 41

In 1861 at 5 Chadwick Street, Longton are Sarah Lynch and her daughter Hannah Berrisford. No sign of Edward Lynch, although Sarah says she is married. Sarah died in 1867.

It's certainly possible that Edward Lynch and Mary Ann Perry could have adopted the names Edward & Martha Jones in 1861 in order to avoid detection

Comment

Just to add to the above, there is this baptism in Blurton, St Bartholomew

8 Feb 1818 Edward s/o Thomas & Ann Lynch, Abode: Furniss (sic), Collier

Although the age doesn't agree with the 1861 & 1871 census, it is in line with the 1851 census with Emma, and also his age on his marriage to Sarah.

ADDED: Just checked Edward's age at death, and his 1871 burial says he was 51, so born c1820, which broadly ties with the above baptism.

Comment

And if Sarah died in 1867, that would have enabled a marriage to finally and legally take place.

And yes, I had thought the same as teasie about the various ages recorded for Edward Jones and the age at death of Edward Lynch.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

This morning I also saw this marriage record on familysearch, transcription only, no image:-

married at Fulford Staffs 2 July 1854 - Edward Lynch s/o Thomas Lynch and resident of Furnace & Sarah Brain - another name on the record Saml Berrisford. Perhaps there was more than one Edward around ?? or he was a very handsome and charming man!

ETA - could this be Sarah in 1851?

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
                Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  This morning I also saw this marriage record on familysearch, transcription only, no image:-

married at Fulford Staffs 2 July 1854 - Edward Lynch s/o Thomas Lynch and resident of Furnace & Sarah Brain - another name on the record Saml Berrisford. Perhaps there was more than one Edward around ?? or he was a very handsome and charming man!

Jay
                  Yes, that's Edward's 2nd marriage after the death of Emma in 1853 per my post #24. His marriage to Martha was his 3rd marriage

Comment

Thanks teasie - skipped over that one! Seems William Brain probably died Q3 1848 in Stone reg dist, which included Fulford, where the marriage took place.

After Jennie's family puzzle, I think whenever I see a Staffordshire pottery family group in future I shall be viewing it from a whole new perspective
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Haha, I've helped with quite a few of them - and not one has been straightforward!

Comment

I’ve just read all this. My head is buzzing!
                        I’ll need to reread at least once again but it seems that the two Edwards are one and the same? The Mr and Mrs Smiths of the day.
                        it would make it easier if they were as a Jones search is a thankless task. Thank you all again. I have been looking at this and coming back to it for the last couple of years.
                        Jennie
                        Research: A family tree can wither if nobody tends it's roots .

Comment

I’ve just read all this. My head is buzzing!
                          I’ll need to reread at least once again but it seems that the two Edwards are one and the same?
                          It certainly seems that way. There was also a brother, John Lynch, and his baptism gives his PoB as Furnace.

I think their mother was buried at Longton on 8 Aug 1826 - Ann Linch aged 52, abode: Furnace, and the father was buried 26 Oct 1829 - Thomas Linch aged 52, abode: Furnace

Comment

So these people on Ancestry who all assumed he was one and the same were right. I’m more than willing to accept this but I needed proof.
                            I had a great G Aunt who kept producing children long after her husband died. She was living with a coal man at the time. Must be something appealing about the coal ?
                            nowof course there are more children from his first marriage. But that’s another day.
                            Jennie

Comment

Furnace Longton and Fenton are all together. I looked it up on history online. It was an awful place with the mines and potteries. It’s amazing anyone lived beyond 30 with that pollution and conditions.
                              I will tell my s in law he is a Lynch and not a Jones!
                              Jennie

Comment

Furnace Longton and Fenton are all together. I looked it up on history online. It was an awful place with the mines and potteries. It’s amazing anyone lived beyond 30 with that pollution and conditions.
                                Burslem, Shelton and the Etruria area were not a lot better. My Gran was brought up in Burslem and her forebears were from all those places plus Tunstall, Goldenhill, Oldcott and Chell.

Comment

Working...
                                X