Catherine Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherine Brown

So when I first started this obsession over 20 years ago I was very naive and didnt really keep many records of sources etc. It was quite by chance I made contact with somebody that started to help fill in some of my gaps for me. They said they were in a pub and remembers a conversation about Catherine Brown being adopted (I did say quite by chance) Lo and behold she does show up on the census as adopted child. In my mind I assumed she had been borne out of wedlock to Mary Henderson as Mary married David Raeside so all along I had it in my mind that Catherine Brown was born before she hooked up with David Raeside and thats why she was given for adoption although I still dont know if thats an official or just a friends adoption. Any way I have been adding bits and pieces to my tree and some of my dna matches lead to this section of the family. I have been following the hints and all along I had the Mary Henderson all wrong.....She was first married to David Raeside and had children with him then when he died 2 years later she then had Catherine Brown b 1870. The father Peter Brown was 24 years older than Mary Henderson so I am now thinking that Catherine must have been an accident and that she didnt expect Peter Brown to stand by her. But he did and they had at least 2 more sons which they kept. There was still lead in the old pencil. I have yet to find the date of the marriage of Mary and Peter Brown. I wonder how long after Catherine was borne did they marry. Also Peter Brown had been married and widowed and had children from his previous.
    Feel rather sad for Catherine after coming to this conclusion.
    Any thoughts on this one?

Just found the marriage it was 1873 so 3 years after Catherine was born

Comment

What details are on Catherine's birth cert and which censuses do you have her on? What do you want to know about specifically?
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

she is on 1881 census with he adopted parent Archibald and Christinna Begg. She names her daughter Christinna Begg McKerrow. She isnt with Mary Henderson on 1871 census. i was looking and found a Catherine Brown aged 8 months with her grandmother but no idea if thats the same one as I cant work out how she is the grand daughter However there is a Henrietta Brown also with the family.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
          What details are on Catherine's birth cert and which censuses do you have her on? What do you want to know about specifically?
          I dont have the birth certificate. Only the baptism records on line. I dont really know what I want to know.......lol. Just sort of weighing it up in my mind. would it have been an official adoption or just a friend of the family?. Strange how the parents later married and had 2 more sons

Comment

You don’t say where these people were. By the sound of the some of the surnames, I’m guessing Scotland or maybe Ireland?

Comment

yes Scotland. Renfrewshire

Comment

its only just dawned on me that Mary Henderson's marriages were the other way round to what I had originally thought. I thought she married David Raeside after giving birth to Catherine Brown and that David Raeside didnt want another mans child so that would be why she was adopted. Its only while I have been filling in death dates etc. that I realized I had it wrong. Its taken a long while for the penny to drop but feel its a bit sad for Catherine that her parents did marry and had 2 more sons. Think I am having a senior moment and need to lie down for my nanna nap

Comment

Sorry to be thick, but how do you know who her father was? Scottish birth certificates often show "reputed father" but you say you don't have her birth certificate.

OC

Comment

he is on the baptism
                    and i do connect through DNa with another descendant of his from his previous marriage

Comment

Shared DNA: 115 cM across 8 segments She is a 3rd cousin from Peter Brown's first marriage

Comment

Working...
                      X