Another handwriting query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another handwriting query.

Could you help me with this please? It's the occupation for Annie Dagwell in 1881.

Annie Dagwell 1881boccupation snip.JPG

Full image is here https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...sePUBJs%3Dtrue

And the street address too, if you can make it out.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Charing?

OC

Comment

Crescent Place?

yes, ancestry had transcribed it:
      1 Crescent Place

Comment

The address is Crescent Place, St Pancras, London but I can’t make her occupation into anything other than the transcript says ‘Cheney’ which makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          Charing?

OC
          That’s a good possibility. The first vowel does look more of an ‘a’ than an ‘e’ on second look.

Comment

Just found her twenty years on in Old Paradise Street, Lambeth. 1899, 1900 and 1902 she is in directories for those years as a Chandler

That’s the same address that she is at 1891 and 1901. 1891 she is living with her daughter and son in law. He is a general dealer. In 1901 Annie is a general shop keeper.

Comment

Ah, well done, GallowayLass. Chandler sounds like a possibility, doesn't it? I wonder if the enumerator heard something different - charner?
              Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                Crescent Place?

yes, ancestry had transcribed it:
                1 Crescent Place
                Thank you! I forgot to look at their transcrition

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  Ah, well done, GallowayLass. Chandler sounds like a possibility, doesn't it? I wonder if the enumerator heard something different - charner?
                  It was OC’s better eyes that set me off looking.

Comment

Well of course, I should have said thank you to everyone.

Comment

Coo, would never have made chandler out of that! Well done GL.

OC

Comment

Working...
                      X