No announcement yet.

Lily Wheeler (nee Baker)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be right and one of Lilly's children has Gertrude in her name - that is often a good sign.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by JMTaylor View Post
      Just been given a newspaper clipping that shows the closing of the Rising Sun. Not sure if this is the Lily I am researching, maybe it was somewhere that she worked, or from 'treading the boards' Still can't find anything on the 1939 census at present.

I was also intrigued by Gertrude Baker 'visiting' Eliza on the 1911 census. I don't have them in my tree, so not sure where this one fits in.
      I think that this could be a good lead... why would you have it unless it was family related? [just thinking out loud]
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Coming late to the party on this, but you mention the daughters being placed in the St Josephs Home - when was this, and what records have you been able to obtain?

I'm assuming that this is the place? http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/Bir...h/?LMCL=TDHYU1

https://www.mercyhandsworth.co.uk/ar...-heritage.html

Comment

I thought I was onto something there - Arthur John Baker and Lily (Lillian) May Baker, on reg of electors in 1920s, but says she was on there on the strength of her husband occupation - so assume they are married.

Silver Street, Moseley

Could she have the vote based on her 'estranged' husband? then I guess she would have to use wheeeler
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Lily was definitely still with the family in 1911 as this shows on the census.
            The 3 girls were put into St Joseph's RC Home and were admitted on October 7th 1912
            George (dad) appears to have kept in contact with them and left money to Florence (eldest) in his will.
            The stories are from close family, but I can not verify them, hence searching for Lily
            The 1901 census shows George and Lily living next door to Samuel (Lilys brother)

Comment

Morning Jane,

Do you know what lily's act was? did she sing or do something else? I did wonder if Lily May was her stage name.

I'm just having a think and a drink. Presumably you have Lilys b/cert? [this is just purely for absolute confirmation that you are solid in your findings]

I think like Carolyn said we need to track all of the family first just to see if she was living with them.

I guess that Georges Admon was just what it said in the probate and nothing else? no codicil or will attached?

Julie

Comment

The 3 girls were put into St Joseph's RC Home and were admitted on October 7th 1912

The stories are from close family, but I can not verify them, hence searching for Lily
                In post #43 I gave a link to the Sisters of Mercy Archives (The Sisters of Mercy ran the St Josephs Home) - have you tried contacting them to see if they hold any records, which may or may not include information about Lily?

Jenny Smith, Archivist
                Union of the Sisters of Mercy GB Archives
                St Mary's Convent
                98 Hunters Road
                Handsworth
                Birmingham
                B19 1EB
                Email:- archives@mercyhandsworth.org.uk

Comment

Hi,

I have contacted the archivist and she gave me the admission date, but did not have any other information relating to the family. Although she did mention the following;

It is not clear what the situation was with the Wheelers, however if they did come to St Joseph's through the Boards of Guardians, it might be worth contacting Birmingham Archives to see if they have any relevant Boards of Guardians papers for Birmingham at this time that might give an indication of the circumstances of the Wheeler children before and/or after their time at St Joseph's

I think that I need to sit down (for a long time) and work my way through this part of the family. I do have some copy documents, but it also looks like I need to order a few more. They are so close to me, yet so far away!

Comment

I did start looking yesterday, but not returned to it, this is what I have so far:
                    James Baker b 1843 Brass finisher Parents Morris & Eliza
                    Married 2 Sep 1867
                    Sarah Beardmore

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...65&usePUB=true

They had
                    Eliza Jane 1868
                    Daughter ? 1870 on census? Assume that this child died – so have not investigated
                    Arthur John 1871
                    Alfred 1874
                    Lily 1878
                    Samuel 1880
                    Albert 1882
                    Ernest 1883

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7619/images/WARRG10_3128_3131-0138?pId=15523618

1881 Piece 3002 Folio 30 Page number 5 Brearley St
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7572/images/WARRG11_2999_3003-0897?pId=22444824

Not found 1891 or 1901 for any family

Lily 1901 (there are Wheelers next door that I assume are family – not checked)
                    Piece: 2890 Folio: 61 Page Number: 18 Parliament Street
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/WARRG13_2890_2891-0123?pId=16725465

Arthur Baker a boarder I assume to be the brother

1911 Tower Street
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_18083_0371_03?pId=21899641

marriage
                    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/4994/images/40458_316789-00069?pId=52957314

George Wheeler also a brass worker
                    There is a Samuel Baker that marries an Emma – but can’t be sure he is the right one.
                    There is a death in 1899 for James Baker
                    Not found deaths for any of the others
                    Can’t understand why 1891 or 1901 census not easily found for Sarah or any child, must be there!

Carolyn
                    Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Carolyn,

Many thanks for the research you have done - much appreciated. I've made some notes based on the information you provided;

I did start looking yesterday, but not returned to it, this is what I have so far:
                      James Baker b 1843 Brass finisher Parents Morris & Eliza
                      I don’t have a Birth Cert. for James. On the 1851 census he is shown as 5 years old and would therefore be born in 1846 abt.

His fathers name changes between Maurice and Morris
                      Married 2 Sep 1867
                      Sarah Beardmore
                      Some children have the name BEADMORE (*)

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...65&usePUB=true

They had
                      Eliza Jane 1868
                      Daughter ? 1870 on census? Assume that this child died – so have not investigated
                      Arthur John 1871
                      Alfred 1874 –
                      1 potential death
                      Lily 1878 (*)
                      Samuel 1880
                      Albert 1882
                      – 3 potential deaths
                      Ernest 1883 (*) – 2 potential deaths.

I also have a son called James, born 1876 (S Qtr Birmingham 06D 182) Died in 1881. Need certificates to prove

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7619/images/WARRG10_3128_3131-0138?pId=15523618

Looking at the formation of the letters could this be Miney / Minney? I had overlooked this. Have done some quick online checks and found the following from BMD;
                      Minnie Maria MAR 1870 Aston 6d 291 (GRO has MMN as JENNENS) dies SEPT 1870 Aston 6d 198
                      Minnie DEC 1871 Birmingham 6d 180 (GRO has MMN as PRICE) dies DEC 1872 6d 121

I also found this on ancestry -
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ource%3DSearch

1881 Piece 3002 Folio 30 Page number 5 Brearley St
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7572/images/WARRG11_2999_3003-0897?pId=22444824

Not found 1891 or 1901 for any family

Lily 1901 (there are Wheelers next door that I assume are family – not checked)
                      Samuel is Lily’s brother
                      Piece: 2890 Folio: 61 Page Number: 18 Parliament Street
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/7814/images/WARRG13_2890_2891-0123?pId=16725465

Arthur Baker a boarder I assume to be the brother I would also assume this

1911 Tower Street
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_18083_0371_03?pId=21899641

marriage
                      https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/4994/images/40458_316789-00069?pId=52957314

George Wheeler also a brass worker
                      There is a Samuel Baker that marries an Emma – but can’t be sure he is the right one.
                      I have him marrying Emma Roe (b 1881) married 13.08.1900
                      There is a death in 1899 for James Baker I have the same, therefore he would not appear on the 1891 or 1901 census
                      Not found deaths for any of the others
                      Can’t understand why 1891 or 1901 census not easily found for Sarah or any child, must be there!
                      Just had another look and cannot find anything. Could they have gone into a workhouse / hospital etc?

Comment

I didn't bother to investigate child deaths as was concentrating on try to find Lily going forward. But it could well be Minnie, and nice to complete all the records. along with James.

Father should be on 1891 if it his death in 1899

I couldn't be sure that the marriage for Samuel was correct as I only had name and age to go on, father says deceased that does fit with the 1899 death.

Will have a search later.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

1891 at Court 9 House 4 Brearley Street, Birmingham
                          James Baker 48 Brass Dresser
                          Sarah Baker 47 Paper Box Maker
                          Eliza 23
                          Lilian 14
                          Arthur J 20 Brass Dresser

Transcribed as Baber: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=11544058

Comment

As Samuel isn't on the 1891 census, this may be his death:

BAKER, SAMUEL aged 1 GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 81

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                              Are you sure that Eliza Barnes is yours? it says her father is a miller
                              https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...1_172214596483
                              I'm not convinced that this is the right marriage either.

The marriage was at Bidford which is also her PoB per the census, and witnesses were James Thomas Baker and Agnes Baker, neither of which seem to fit with this family

Comment

Hi Teasie,

Thanks for finding the 1891 electoral roll, really brings it home how an easy transcribing mistake can mean you don't find the document. How did you find it?

I will need to see if the death of Samuel is correct as I had him married with children - but not backed up by source docs.

I am also beginning to think that the Eliza Baker / Barnes marriage is wrong

This forum is great, and I am learning so much

Comment

Originally posted by teasie View Post
                                  1891 at Court 9 House 4 Brearley Street, Birmingham
                                  James Baker 48 Brass Dresser
                                  Sarah Baker 47 Paper Box Maker
                                  Eliza 23
                                  Lilian 14
                                  Arthur J 20 Brass Dresser

Transcribed as Baber: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e&pId=11544058
                                  Phew - I knew you would find it - not sure why I couldn't, puts a better perspective on Samuel marriage as well that I wasn't too sure on. Not looking good for the other young boys either then :(

As Samuel isn't on the 1891 census, this may be his death:

BAKER, SAMUEL aged 1 GRO Reference: 1881 S Quarter in BIRMINGHAM Volume 06D Page 81

I'm not convinced that this is the right marriage either.

The marriage was at Bidford which is also her PoB per the census, and witnesses were James Thomas Baker and Agnes Baker, neither of which seem to fit with this family

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...ce&pId=9279879
                                  too many wrong things about it for me, and way away from Birmingham, so Gertrude is a red herring.

Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Teasie,

Thanks for finding the 1891 electoral roll, really brings it home how an easy transcribing mistake can mean you don't find the document. How did you find it?
                                    I searched for Sarah B*er, husband James, and the known surviving children Eliza, Arthur & Lily, and it was the first on the list.

Not doing so well finding Sarah in 1901 though, unless she changed occupations or had died (I haven't looked for deaths)

Comment

JMTaylor the 1891 is a census and not electoral roll. Electoral rolls are not so useful for women until more recent times as they were not eligible to vote.

so depending on status they were only included from 1920s, all women over 21(I think) were on there from 1929
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Well my theory of tracing the rest of the family could be a dead end, as sadly looks as though the boys didn't make it to 1891.

An outside chance that Alfred had left home.

I do like the Idea of Lily May or something like being her stage name as suggested by Darksecretz

JMTaylor when you say you were handed an article about the pub closing, is this because it was in family possession?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Can we have a list of all children please I'm kinda getting a bit lost. And are there any more to track?

That was a good find re Minnie's baptism Jane, I presume that she must have died? haven't looked for a death yet. I guess it depends just how far you want to expand on the family. I like to explore every little twig and branch, but others are more focussed and like to track just the main grandparents/grt grandparents etc... others simply track the male line, I like to think that I have been as thorough as I possibly can be.

I did note that on the 1871 census that there are 3 Baker families all living really close to one another, Isaac could possibly be Maurice/Morris's brother?
                                          Julie

Comment

Working...
                                          X