Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robert Wells of Dumfries - what was he up to???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Wells of Dumfries - what was he up to???

My head has been turned inside out this afternoon, by one Robert Wells of Dumfries.
    This post is as much to try and get my head straight as it is to ask for your thoughts - although I am!
    Firstly, 'Noblehill', 'Gasstown', and 'Gateside of Trench' are all within a few hundred metres of each other on the east side of Dumfries.

Anyway, this is Robert over the years:

1871 Census: with parents William & Jessie, living in the area described above, Robert is aged 3.

18 Nov 1887. Enlisted with 3rd KOSB. Service No: 1405. Born Gateside. Aged 19 years 0 months. Mason. Former master: Wm Wells. Single. 5' 6 3/4". Blue eyes. Brown hair.

1891 Census: with parents William & Jessie, living in the area described above, Robert (stone mason) is aged 23.

7 Dec 1894. Enlisted with 3rd KOSB. Service No: 2779. Born Gasstown. Aged 22 years 9 months. Mason. Former master: Wm Wells (father). Single. 5' 6 3/4". Blue eyes. Red hair.
    Served previously with KOSB - discharged by purchase. Discharged by purchase 15 Apr 1895.

31 Oct 1895. Enlisted with 3rd KOSB. Service No: 3025. Born Noblehill. Aged 24 years 0 months. Mason. Former master: W Wells. Single. 5' 6". Blue eyes. Light brown hair.
    Served previously with 3/KOSB - discharged by purchase. Discharged by purchase 1 May 1896.

1898 Marriage: Robert Turner Wells (of Gateside of Trench, aged 27, a mason) married Ellen Bright Cunliffe. His parents: William Wells (mason) & Jessie Paterson.

20 Jan 1904. Enlisted with 3rd KOSB. Service No: 45217. Born Gastown. Aged 28 years 0 months. Bricklayer. Former master: Mr J Wells. Married (3 kids). 5' 7". Dark grey eyes. Brown hair.
    Served previously with 3/KOSB - discharged by purchase 13 yrs ago.

1911 Census: Robert Wells (43, stonemason, born Trench, married) living with his mother Jessie, a brother Arthur (28), and Jessie's grandson William (12) - presumably Robert's son. No sign of wife Ellen.

1911 Census (60 miles away in Kilmarnock): James Wells (41, iron turner, born Maxwelltown - a couple of miles from Noblehill etc) and wife Ellen B Wells (born Madras India, married 3 yrs, no children). I can't find a record for this marriage.

These are Robert's 4 signatures from his 4 enlistments with the army:
    temp.png

What on earth is going on???

Thanks for reading!
    William
    Attached Files
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Am having probs with adding images again.

James Kennedy SHORTT was born 1880 in Dumfries and married there in 1906 to Elizabeth BOWES in 1906. She died in 1914.

Comment

As for Robert - there ain’t a Robert Turner WELLS born in Dumfries till 1902 at the earliest. These three are the possibles for your Robert, the top one most likely given age on 1871 census.

C1702507-9041-4021-A78E-80A394CF06A6.jpeg

Comment

The middle one died as a baby 1869.
        The bottom one died as Robert Laurie WELLS aged 6 in 1875.
        That just leaves the top one.

Comment

Thank so much....that's quite enough for me to consider for the time being..unless you WANT to go further.
          Will get back to you, although probably after the weekend because we're going away tomorrow for the first time in 6 months..to Dumfries!
          Kind regards,
          William

Comment

These are the only Robert WELLS who died in Scotland after the 1906 marriage date who were born 1867 +/- 3 years.

00F498AD-96A9-4CF9-B48D-5B036D4B4DB2.jpeg

Comment

LOL no, that’s me done for the night. Enjoy your visit. Safe journey.

Comment

Thanks - it was a good time!
                I have now got to the bottom of this Robert Wells - he's not mine...I have found 'my' one elsewhere

Thanks again,
                William
                Kind regards,
                William

Comment

Working...
                X