Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone read this bride surname please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone read this bride surname please.

The groom is Thomas Preston. I have found varying transcriptions of Mary's surname and would appreciate your imput . Thanks.

Thomas Preston and Mary 1782.JPG
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

It looks like Folmond to me Kat, could have been a P but that negated by the writing of an earlier capital P, thus I will go with Folmond.
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Polmore, to my eyes.

OC

Comment

Looks like Polmore to me. It is written several times but apparently by the same hand. The initial letter is the same as the groom's if you know his name ... Preston?
        Edit .... ah yes you do know it is Preston. The initial letter is exactly the same to my eyes.

Anne

Comment

Another vote for Polmore

Comment

Look at the very odd letters ‘e’ in the name of the parish of Neen Savage. The last letter of Mary’s surname is identical so it reads POLMORE.

Just to stick a fly in the ointment though, I have a Martha Amy born 1869 Ketley, Wellington Sal, Shropshire daughter of Richard and Mary Ann. The family name is PODMORE. I have also come across a variant of PADMORE.

Comment

I think it is Solomons

Comment

MMM I can't see Solomons or Folmond somehow but thank you all. I think it is Polmore too - definitely 2 x 0's and an e. Other transcriptions read Podmore, Gelmore, Golmore, Todmore and Tolmore
                Kat

Comment

None of their 8 children's baptism images are any help either :( all Thos and Mary.
                  Kat

Comment

Mowdieing about in the wee small hours (bad habit of mine LOL) I found this transcript of the St Leonard, Ribbesford parish register. Neen Savage in Shropshire and Ribbesford in Worcestershire are only about 10 miles apart. Could this be the bride's baptism? She's have been almost 22 on marriage which is pretty normal. Three of the main sites are transcript only, ancestry, FMP and family search but family search lists also that The Genealogist has these registers; whether they are images or transcripts at TG, I can't find out but their index has the entry twice and both times the name is indexed as Mary Palmer. Sorry I don't have a sub to TG, maybe someone else has?
                    Marey
                    Palmore
                    Female
                    -
                    -
                    15 Aug 1750
                    Ribbesford, Worcester, England
                    Ribbesford
                    Worcestershire
                    England
                    John
                    Palmore
                    Marey
                    -

Comment

"Polmore" or "palmore" to "palmer" isn't that much of a stretch imo. Depending on the accent, all can be interchangeable.

Comment

Comparing letters in the other words, I'd say Polmore. Without the other letters for comparison, it looks like Polmond.
                        Caroline
                        Caroline's Family History Pages
                        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you all for the imput. That Ribbesford baptism looks good - thanks GL for mowdieing about in the wee small hours
                          There is a witness John Polmore so possibly the father.
                          Kat

Comment

The groom is Thomas Proston - not Preston

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:7B2V-BV6Z
                            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks Allan but that is from a transcription on FS. In my image above the e in Preston is the same as in Neen Savage and other e examples there. His children were all Prestons.
                              Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X