What do you think this might say??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think this might say??

I'm currently researching the 21 men on the roll of honour within the church where I grew up.
    This is an excerpt from the marriage certificate of one of them - one Thomas Riddle Steel (!):

temp.png

I'm struggling with the bit between the two red lines - I have "Corpl 1 ?????? Corps M.J. Bachelor"
    The obvious question is what the ????? says - but, also, what might M.J. mean?

Thanks in advance!

William
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

First half is Corporal / Service Corps, as for the rest can't even guess, but would think where he was stationed.....

MT possibly Motor Transport
    DGJay

Comment

I am stumped in finding when and where he fell. He’s a local (ish) lad. My guess is that he was Corporal 1st Service Corps M(otor) Transport).
      Did he fall in WW1 or 2? as he’s still of an age that he could be a late call up for the latter.

Comment

Snap DgJay
        His address on marriage notes that he is serving in France

Comment

No details about his service on his gravestone. He is in a family plot in St Michael’s, Dumfries. Interesting which record database he is in that links to the findagrave website. Also no service details in the cemetery register either.

BBEBB2F9-3053-4A00-A52E-A8A201A2FF7E.jpeg

421F19C5-F2F7-406A-89CB-D76624D88E5F.jpeg

04888CD5-C6D3-4E5B-8996-01872C6C4D07.jpeg

Comment

Sorry - I didn't explain properly.
            This roll of honour is for men who fought in WW1, some of whom were wounded or died, but most survived. This man lived until 1946.
            Thanks for the suggestion of 'service' and possibly Motor Transport.

Much appreciated!

William
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

Gallowaylass - that's fantastic - thank you!!
              Kind regards,
              William

Comment

On SP, his death certificate is a civilian one and not a service return
                STEEL THOMAS RIDDLE 56 1946 821/ 562 Dumfries

Comment

Originally posted by wulliam View Post
                  Sorry - I didn't explain properly.
                  This roll of honour is for men who fought in WW1, some of whom were wounded or died, but most survived. This man lived until 1946.
                  Thanks for the suggestion of 'service' and possibly Motor Transport.

Much appreciated!

William
                  Ah! No wonder I couldn’t find him on CWGC

Comment

This article is written with India in mind but explains exactly what the letters pertaining to Army Service Corps meant from reformation in 1920 and also during WW1

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass - that's very helpful too.
                      May I ask where you found the receipt?

W
                      Kind regards,
                      William

Comment

There are 8 public trees on ancestry and not a single one mentions anything about his war service.

Comment

Thanks GallowayLass - that's very helpful too.
                          May I ask where you found the receipt?

W
                          On ancestry. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/9041/

Comment

Where is this roll of honour Wulliam? Is it still on the wall in the old UF Church in Loreburn Street?

Comment

I guess as he survived it'll not be known about much outside the family.
                              Here's the roll of honour:
                              temp.png
                              Thanks again
                              Kind regards,
                              William

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                Where is this roll of honour Wulliam? Is it still on the wall in the old UF Church in Loreburn Street?
                                No, it's in the Free Church on George Street.
                                Kind regards,
                                William

Comment

No probs. Once D&G libraries get their act together I will try to remember to go in and check the newspaper indexes for you and see if there is any mention of him in the newspapers as wartime 1914-1918 editions are deffo indexed. As we also know his death and burial dates, I will look for an obituary too. I think we are looking at them not opening till mid August at the earliest.

Comment

I've got access to the Standard through FMP and am finding all sorts through that ?
                                    Kind regards,
                                    William

Comment

I've got access to the Standard through FMP and am finding all sorts through that ?

Comment

Can’t find a blooming thing in medal cards or service and pension records for him BUT I came across this. If the dob in the image matches that on his birth certificate then we now have his service number. It’s a punt but one worth taking?
                                        STEEL THOMAS RIDDLE M 1890 821/ 486 Dumfries

791860BB-1F74-4B4D-9A8A-839645E4C18C.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                                        X