X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody read this please

I cannot make out all the words thanks
    Attached Files

Left school in V11 standard. Joined army at age 4 mos. ago but has never got beyond the awkward squad. Has had incontinence of urine at night all his life now during the daytime. He runs about the parade ground in an (in...) way and has no idea of discipline.

Not attributable to any of or aggravated by any of these conditions.

OC

Comment

that sounds awful poor man , what is the awkward squad ,never heard that before, thanks OC

Comment

that does sound terrible, and so matter of fact
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

how he must have suffered, can imagine him being teased about it.

Comment

<parade ground in an (in...) way > I think (in...) is irresponsible

Comment

Lol, the awkward squad referred to trainees who couldn't do as they were told, either because they were incapable or just plain awkward. My daughter joined the army when she was 17. She is left handed and left footed as well and had real problems learning to march. They threatened to put her in the awkward squad. (She did learn).

(Thought I.posted this last night but it didn't "take".)

OC

Comment

Sounds like he is destined for much higher rank.
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Thanks ftfmk ,
                  Left footed OC? sorry if I laughed, how can you be left footed?
                  Grumpy

Comment

Reads like someone was drafted at the age of four months so of course is incontinent and a nuisance on the parade ground. maybe he is now 14 months old.
                    Donelda

searching for the Berkshire Hobbises, Rowles, Staniford, Rogers, Parkers, Thackhams, Gouts, LeBouviers, Heaphys and Wilsons

Comment

'Joined the Army at age () 4 months ago' .............() age actually missed out - a Freudian slip perhaps?
                      Is there a date on the medical report that can be compared to his attestation date?

How awful to have that on his record - very sad
                      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        Thanks ftfmk ,
                        Left footed OC? sorry if I laughed, how can you be left footed?
                        Grumpy
                        Val, we all have a dominant foot as well as a dominant hand. Some experts say dominant ear and eye as well. If the hand and foot dominance differs, this is cross laterality, which can sometimes lead to developmental and learning difficulties in the early years.We used to sometimes "test" children when they entered Reception, gave them a cardboard tube to play at telescopes and stood directly behind them, called their name and asked a question, to see which way they turned their head. This was supposed to indicate dominant eye and ear!

Jay
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                          'Joined the Army at age () 4 months ago' .............() age actually missed out - a Freudian slip perhaps?
                          Is there a date on the medical report that can be compared to his attestation date?

How awful to have that on his record - very sad
                          I suppose all records were deemed to be private in those days - there would have been no notion of eventual public accessibility. Same with the parish registers and the snide (but often very revealing) comments of the vicar. Of course, when he wrote in the registers, they were purely his domain and in his keeping; most of the public wouldn't have been able to read them anyway, even if there had been access. I've found the same applied to the school log books I've read - the earlier ones name individual pupils and made personal comments about children, parents, tradespeople/farmers in the village, whilst later ones became much more factual and often didn't name individual pupils. Apart from the punishment book, where the name of each offender, the offence and the punishment given were all recorded. The one for the school where I worked for many years was most enlightening! The one for the former village school here has not survived; great pity as I would have loved to have read that! Heard so many tales about former "bad" boys at school during my childhood, would love to know if the culprits were as bad as claimed or if a lot of it was bravado.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

He was born 15 Sep 1899 enlisted 15 Jan 1917 and finished 4 Feb 1918, can just imagine the ribbing he must have gone through.
                            Oh and Janet I reckon I am right footed ,but I write with my right hand and hold the fork in my right hand, so how does that work.

Comment

I’m left handed for writing, using a soup or dessert spoon, needle etc. but cannot fathom specially adapted left handed gizmos like scissors. When cutting anything, I grip it with my left hand and use scissors or knife in my right hand.
                              I do not write with my hand curled inwards like many lefties do nor do I use my knife and fork “backwards“ as my mother used to describe it.
                              In the grand scheme of things, I’m pretty much ambidextrous and will just use whichever hand is nearest to the object I want. I can write with my right hand if I really had to but it’s a bit scratchy looking after a few lines and I find I tend to come to a complete halt sometimes forming a vowel as my brain struggles to compute which way round my hand should move to form the letter.
                              I would naturally kick a ball with my left foot and throw it with my left hand. A tennis racquet used to start off in my left hand but didn’t always stay there. On a hockey pitch I always wanted to play a left of field position. Running up and down the right side of the pitch was quite disorientating. I used a right handed hockey stick though!
                              Daddy was totally left handed as a child and had it beaten out of him at school consequently his handwriting as an adult was very childlike in form and he struggled with it so much, he avoided it wherever possible.

Comment

I'm a leftie, but use a knife and fork in the conventional way. If something needs "firm" cutting,however, I peg it down with my knife and pull /tear with my fork! I use spoon and fork "the wrong way round" and use any single piece of cutlery in my left hand. If I'm up the ladder painting, I start with the brush in my left hand and then transfer it to the right, which saves time on coming down the ladder and moving it on. I make sure that any food prep knives have blades which are double edged and that any appliance or other equipment is suitably "ambidextrous."
                                When I was first leaving home and setting up on my own, I wrote to several manufacturers of irons because at that time, they all had the flex coming from one side and if you were a leftie, then it got in the way. They all said it was something they had never thought about. I graduated to an iron where you could reverse the position of the piece where the flex came from and then eventually irons began to have a "back" or ambidextrous flex. I used to embarrass my poor mother by insisting on examining things in shops and then explaining why an item was of no use to me or any other leftie, before saying I was sorry, but I wouldn't be buying and leaving empty handed.At least the message eventually got through and things are much better, although a lot of things still have handles, dials and knobs geared up for a right hand person.

Jay
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

My daughter is left handed. I was concerned she might find scissors a problem so when she was very first learning to cut out I moved them to her right hand. This was successful as its about the only thing she does right handed! Of course you can now get LH scissors but you couldn't back then. She's a dentist now and they actually make left handed chairs! Who knew!
                                  Anne

Comment

some interesting stuff here,never heard of a left handed chair?

Comment

I meant left handed dental chair so you have the implement tray on the left etc.
                                      Anne

Comment

I would have loved a left handed chair when I was at college - we had those chairs with an angled, hinged, lift up writing area attached on the right arm. The writing surface was too far to the right for me and they were so uncomfortable and awkward.

Jay
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X