Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John William Stansfield Askew Wood

John William Stansgield Askew Wood.
    Can anyone throw any light on who this man might be? He was supposedly born in 1883, but I have no idea where, or who any members of his family might be.

where / how / why did you originally find him?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Flotsam, welcome to the forum, what other information have you got? There seems to be a lot of names there, did a quick search in Ancestry and FMP, but nothing crops up for all of the names.
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I don't have any other information on this man - that is why I have posted the question about him!. I have searched Ancestry, FMP and Familysearch without any results. I came across him because I am researching a Wood family. In this family there is a John William Wood ....... Ancestry shows up a fair number of trees with men called John William Stansfield Askew Wood (none of the owners have given a source for him) but they have added him as the husband of a John William Wood who is part of my tree. John William Stansfield Askew Wood sounds as if he might belong to the landed gentry ..... !!!!

Comment

Hi Flotsam,

I found a couple of family trees in ancestry.ca which shows him., unfortunately he seems to start at his marriage.

John William Stansfield Askew Wood
          born abt 1883 India

Married 9 December 1914, India
          to Maisie Yvonne Lapersonne, born India

They had 3 children, all born in India,

Arrived in the UK in 6 June 1934 with John now shown as William Wood, Signal inspector. The family going to Stockport, Cheshire.

** Have you looked to see if there is family there?

1939 Maisie and the children are now in Derbyshire. Maisie is shown as married.

*** Is it possible that her husband has returned to India ? Did they divorce? Is he in the army ?

1945 Maisie still in Derbyshire, living by herself. Electoral Roll.

I have no knowledge of records from India . Have you seen a copy of the marriage certificate ?

What do the marriage certificates of their children say ? Is their father dead, and do they give an occupation for him ? That would give you a better idea of a time line to follow.

Was there an obituary in the paper when Maisie died?

Good luck,

bcbrit

George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Whoops - that should have read that John William Stansfield Askew Wood has been added to those trees on Ancestry as the husband intead of John Willian Wood..

Comment

BCbrit - you are correct up to a point BUT the Maisie in Derbyshire in 1945 is someone else (I have already seen that and her husband is William Robert Wood)). Maisie the wife of JWW was in Caversham, Reading, Berkshire from the time the family arrived in England in 1934 - and she remained there until her death. In 1939 JWW left his wife and children and was assumed to have returned to India, but no trace of him has been found. What I really want to know is who this John William Stansfield Askew Wood was (supposedly born in 1883).

Comment

Interesting, I assume that you have tried to contact the other tree owners and got nowhere?

In case anyone wants the 1939 census Priest Hill, Caversham

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...DsuccessSource

I can see the other trees have her as Maisie Yvonne Lapersonne, I assume that you have not found the marriage either?

Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I assume you have seen his departure - Mr W Wood, Priest Hill, Signal Inspector?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...sePUBJs%3Dtrue
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

I see from another posting on the internet that the only place this name appears is in a family bible. Judging from my own experience, can I suggest that the name was invented in order to lift it out of the mundane, lol.

OC

Comment

cbcarolyn - thank you I already have the record of departure for Mr W Wood. Maisie Yvonne Lapersonne was definitely the wife of John William Wood (Mr W Wood, Signal Inspector) but she did not accompany him on his return to India. Mr W Wood is not the person I am trying to identify, that person is John William Stansfield Askew Wood.

Comment

Originally posted by Flotsam View Post
                        cbcarolyn - thank you I already have the record of departure for Mr W Wood. Maisie Yvonne Lapersonne was definitely the wife of John William Wood (Mr W Wood, Signal Inspector) but she did not accompany him on his return to India. Mr W Wood is not the person I am trying to identify, that person is John William Stansfield Askew Wood.
                        Sorry I am not sure I understand, Maisie marries John William Wood - but you don't think that is John William Stansfield Askew Wood? You think this is another person also born in 1883?

Maisie and John have children's Baptisms on FMP - but I am now thinking these are of no interest.

Elizabeths:
                        https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...D%2FB%2F425742
                        he is John William a Mechanic

George
                        https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...D%2FB%2F427838
                        John William Electrician

James
                        https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...D%2FB%2F426589

NB she is Mary Isabell

As OC says if this name has come from a family bible it may have been the authors wishes for him to have all those names! Was he born in India in the family bible?
                        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 18-07-20, 10:22.
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

cbcarolyn. Maisie Yvonne Lapersonne was the wife of John William Wood; they were both born in India and were married there in 1914. Their three childen were born in India and the family came to England to be near Maisie and John's son James Joseph Wood.
                          John William Wood was born 28 April 1885 in Bangalore. I have all the souces for this family and know them to be correct.
                          I am aware that Maisie Yvonne does appear on some websites as May Isobel (or Isabel). All the births are on Familysearch.

Some confusion has arisen where people have assumed that Yvonne and her husband William Wood are Maisie and John William Wood. They are in fact William Robert Wood and his wife Yvonne Marie Joseph who have a son Hubert.
                          Does that clarify things for you?

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                            Hi Flotsam,

I found a couple of family trees in ancestry.ca which shows him., unfortunately he seems to start at his marriage.

I have no knowledge of records from India . Have you seen a copy of the marriage certificate ?

What do the marriage certificates of their children say ? Is their father dead, and do they give an occupation for him ? That would give you a better idea of a time line to follow.

Was there an obituary in the paper when Maisie died?

Good luck,

bcbrit
                            Have you followed these questions up?

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                            I see from another posting on the internet that the only place this name appears is in a family bible. Judging from my own experience, can I suggest that the name was invented in order to lift it out of the mundane, lol.

OC
                            Have you seen the bible??
                            It could be as OC says and the names added at the baptism. Have you found a baptism for him yet?
                            Have you found parents/ grandparents of 'your' John William Wood (signal inspector) ? Could it be that Stansfield and Askew are family names or close friends of the family from army or work in India?
                            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

There was not an obituary for Maisie when she died. I do have the birth and baptism data for John William Wood and there are no additional names at the baptism. I do have all the info on his family both ancestors and descendants. I agree that Stansfield and Askew appear to be surnames, but they do not have any connection to John William Wood.
                              John William Stansfield Askew Wood does not seem to exist, so I must thank you all for your input and comments and suggest that we do not continue this any further unless someone can produce conclusive evidence of his existence. I tend to agree with OC that this man was an invention.

Comment

Working...
                              X