oops my mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oops my mistake

I couldnt understand why I wasnt getting any thru lines on ancestry as I had over 10,000 names dates and places so emailed them about it and they replied that my tree was private.......What? My tree has never been private so checked it again just to make sure and it is definitely public so emailed them again. so today I got a reply saying that I had to check my parents and grandparents as the relationships were private. Well you live and learn dont you? I had never noticed that before so have changed the relationships of said parents and grandparents so wait 24 hours to see if I start to get any thru lines. I cant believe thats been private all along!!

Trouble is, you can't see what other people can see (or can't see) of your tree unless you can log in as someone else!
    Anne

Comment

Just to say you don't need to make your tree public in order to get Thru Lines. It can be private as long as you don't also tick the box that says ' Also prevent your tree from being found in the search index.'
      My husband's tree is private but he can view his Thru Lines.

Note: although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index.
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The tree I have my results connected to is Private but Searchable. I get Thrulines. If you set the tree to Private and Unsearchable you don’t get them.

What I didn’t know till you posted was that if any person in a public or Private but Searchable tree is specifically marked by you as Private, then you don’t get Thrulines. Did you have both parents and all 4 grandparents privatised for that to happen?
        What puzzles me about their explanation is this - if a tree owner has not specifically privatised someone from within the ancestry site tree builder but has a parent or even grandparent who are still alive then these people are hidden by ancestry as default if they were born less than 100 years ago and have no death facts at all.
        Does that mean that the tree owner gets no Thrulines at all or just none on the direct lines of any parent or grandparent still living?
        I must ask my two contacts for my Mum’s birth family what they have by way of Thrulines. One has both parents still alive but all grandparents deceased and the other has one parent still alive and all grandparents deceased.

Comment

My master tree is private but searchable. I have many living people on it but they are automatically marked as private people and I get ThruLines. My tree is an uploaded GEDCOM and not connected with FTM.
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
            My master tree is private but searchable. I have many living people on it but they are automatically marked as private people and I get ThruLines. My tree is an uploaded GEDCOM and not connected with FTM.
            That’s exact same as me Caroline. Gloryer should have been getting Thrulines from the beginning without making alterations as her’s was public anyway.
            Last edited by GallowayLass; 16-07-20, 18:56. Reason: Ooopsie

Comment

Ancestry automatically privatises living people as we know But if Gloryer privatised some living relatives herself for some reason then she would need to unprivatise them . ie it's not Ancestry problem.

This may not have anything to do with Gloryer's problem BUT If you have a tree on FTM and privatise relatives on there then synch it to Ancestry they will be automatically be privatised on your ancestry tree. You cannot unprivatise them in Ancestry - you have to go back and do it in FTM then synch again. IF this is Gloryer's problem that could be the answer.

Kat

Comment

I have unprivatized them but I didnt know they were set as private in the first place. Maybe it was an automatic thing.My mum was still alive when I started this so I have now changed some of the settings. I hadnt noticed the settings just above their names but have now gone through the first few generations making sure they are biological parents and not private. Fingers crossed I might get some interesting results later today.

Comment

From Ancestry:
                  although your tree will instantly become public or private, it usually takes about a month or more to be reflected in the search index.

Not sure if this change affects only the search facility. So don't despair if you cannot see a change in Thru Lines straight away
                  Kat

Comment

I think Thrulines only takes up to 48hrs regardless of the privacy status of the tree.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance but what on earth are ThruLines?
                      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

What are ThruLines? ThruLines illustrates how you may be connected to a particular DNA match through a common ancestor. How do I get ThruLines? To use ThruLines to see how you may be connected to your DNA matches, link your AncestryDNA test to a public or private searchable family tree. You and your DNA matches must have public or private searchable trees that are linked to AncestryDNA tests, which are at least 3–4 generations deep. How does ThruLines find the common ancestors that connect me to my DNA matches? We use the public or private searchable family tree linked to your AncestryDNA test to search for people who appear in both your tree or other Ancestry member trees that are marked as public or private searchable. ThruLines then uses this information to illustrate how you and your DNA matches might be related through common ancestors. Christine
                        Researching:
                        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

i am amazed at what i am finding. The people that have private trees and never reply to emails are all coming thru on the thru lines!!!
                          Its good for half relations/half cousins.
                          I may be gone a while. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                            What are ThruLines? ThruLines illustrates how you may be connected to a particular DNA match through a common ancestor. How do I get ThruLines? To use ThruLines to see how you may be connected to your DNA matches, link your AncestryDNA test to a public or private searchable family tree. You and your DNA matches must have public or private searchable trees that are linked to AncestryDNA tests, which are at least 3–4 generations deep. How does ThruLines find the common ancestors that connect me to my DNA matches? We use the public or private searchable family tree linked to your AncestryDNA test to search for people who appear in both your tree or other Ancestry member trees that are marked as public or private searchable. ThruLines then uses this information to illustrate how you and your DNA matches might be related through common ancestors. Christine
                            Thanks for the explanation. I have never dabbled with DNA which explains why I had not heard the expression before.
                            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by gloryer View Post
                              i am amazed at what i am finding. The people that have private trees and never reply to emails are all coming thru on the thru lines!!!
                              Its good for half relations/half cousins.
                              I may be gone a while. lol
                              Great - don't forget to mark them somehow if they seem low!!
                              Caroline
                              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Pleased you are getting lots of Thrulines now Gloryer

Spent a lot of time marking up OH's tree yesterday. I assume colour coding would be sufficient or do you need to comment as well?

I'm cross because I am expecting my DNA results any day now and will miss out on a lot of those low cM's. Bubbles LOL!
                                Last edited by Katarzyna; 18-07-20, 12:06. Reason: added info
                                Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                  Spent a lot of time marking up OH's tree yesterday. I assume colour coding would be sufficient or do you need to comment as well?

I'm cross because I am expecting my DNA results any day now and will miss out on a lot of those low cM's. Bubbles LOL!
                                  I hope so - most of mine only have a star to say that they are in Family Historian but I have no idea who they are!! Oh, and there will be the current cMs in the notes as I started doing that when you could use some other software alongside Ancestry to filter by having something in the notes and I copy that over to FH and to the notes at the same time.
                                  Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                                    Pleased you are getting lots of Thrulines now Gloryer

Hopefully your results will arrive before the change ...... fingers crossed.
                                    Caroline

Comment

Yes, so do I. I may be gone for some time !!
                                      Kat

Comment

I have been at it all day. lol
                                        I have managed to colour code all the dna matches that have a common ancestor but I was running out of colours. Think there is 25 altogether so had to start regrouping. And as you say some may disappear soon. Not sure if they are colour coded if I will be able to find them but I have found a few interesting connections. The vast majority of the smaller cms are all from the Nye family from Kent which does go back a long way..
                                        Messaged a couple of people one who has her tree as private so she may wonder how i got my info.......

Comment

Working...
                                        X