• Show
Clear All

• Help with reading a surname, please

​Suggestions please for the surname of Kath in the second row

Kath.jpg

Jay

Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Shores? There is a similar h in the word below which looks like South... and a similar o and back-to-front e in Robert on the line below.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

I would guess Shores, judging from similar letters from words that one can reliably read.
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Yes I agree r from Felbrigg and s,o,h,r and e from Southrepps.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-07-20, 11:58.
        Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

FMP have a different image which presumably is the original parish register as the writing is more harum scarum. Is your image from the bishop’s transcripts?
          This one is from the Norfolk Banns and Marriages Collection at Norfolk Record Office. Parish is Northrepps and the transcription for the bride is Kath STORY. Does that name have any meaning to you?

B6EE76CF-8CD0-4F03-84DD-42B83FBE1A26.jpeg

Comment

Not found anything else on ancestry or family search including IGI to corroborate transcript to image in #5.

Comment

Ahah !! One of these from family search could her baptism. First one is a bit old to fit a 1708 marriage.

5E89057E-AE50-40B7-8CC6-7703F5A4C7F4.png

Comment

Thanks all for your very welcome comments.
                I thought it was Shores, which could also include "Shaw(s)" The image that I posted was from the annual returns (BTs). GL's was from the PR, and both images are available online - I assume the BTs were copied out over a short time period and for a specific focus, hence the neater writing, perhaps.
                Neither Shores, Shore nor Story are of any significance to my tree. I have found some Story events at Northrepps, but not a trace of a Katherine or a John & Mary, or an Isaac and Elizabeth. The places in the family search trio are nowhere near Northrepps. No Shores or Shaw events at Northrepps either.
                I can take the Corke family back a bit further at Northrepps though, so I am very lucky to have got so far.
                When I began my research over 30 years ago, a lot of these Norfolk parishes hadn't deposited their registers with the record office and it was a case of visiting individual churches, by appointment only. We are so lucky to be able to research from home these days.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                X