SALMONS, SHEARSBYS and GOODALLS - what a muddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
    The SHEARSBY family must have emigrated 1879 or earlier but I’m struggling to find anything with an exact date.
    1881 electoral register has him as a butcher at Kaiapoi and the sheep farmer returns of the same year have him owning 28 sheep, down from 30 the previous year and 76 in 1879.
    I have also found a record that has been attached to an ancestry tree that he was sentenced to 3 months in prison 10 July 1866 for assaulting a police officer. So the emigration was between then and 1879. Have you found him on the census in 1871?

Sorry GallowayLass, you're going to fast for me and I'm struggling to follow your train of thought. Where did the bit about New Zealand come from. And which Shearsby family does it refer to?
    You said you were a bit puzzled by two girls called Harriet Emma next to each other in the 1860 baptismal register in your first post. One with surname SALMON and one with surname SHEARSBY. The online trees refer to Harriet Emma SHEARBSY daughter of Joseph (butcher) and Emma. Emma’s mms shown on GRO Birth index as GRIFFITHS. Joseph and Emma had married in 1854. Sometime between 1871 and 1879 the couple plus Harriet Emma (and likely other children according to the trees) emigrated to New Zealand where all three died, Harriet Emma having married John BAKER out there.
    Harriet Emma’s SHEARSBY grandparents were Joseph SHEARSBY and Harriet LOCK who married in 1830. It is their daughter Harriet who married William SALMON and another of their daughters Elizabeth who married Edward GOODALL which gives you a connection between all three families - SHEARSBY, SALMON and GOODALL and the explanation for the surnames of the grandchildren on the 1871 census.
    I’m not sure how I can make it clearer

Comment

Hooray, I found one - James b1838 MMN LOCKE. Couldn't find the girls though - Elizabeth 1840 or Charlotte 1842 or Ann 1844.
      Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

From #11 just found Harriet's marriage to William Salmon is online FMP...

for Harriet father Joseph butcher marriage witnesses Joseph Shearsby and Ann Salmon
        Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
        http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Joseph Shearsby (Butcher) and Harriet Lock had a daughter Harriet Shearsby.

Name: Harriet Sheasby
          Baptism Date: 20 Sep 1835
          Baptism Place: Milverton,Warwick,England
          Father: Joseph Sheasby
          Mother: Harriet
          FHL Film Number: 502291, 555351

Cannot find her on 1841 or 1851 censuses. She isn't with the family.
          She marries William Salmon 1854
          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...Fedit%2Frecord

Name: Harriet
          Event Type: Marriage
          Birth Year: abt 1834
          Marriage or Bann Date: 31 Oct 1854
          Marriage or Bann Place: Leamington Priors, St Mary, Warwickshire, England
          Parish: Leamington Priors, St Mary
          Search Photos: Search for 'Leamington Priors, St Mary' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
          Spouse: William Salmon
          Father: Joseph Shearsby - Butcher

1861 census:
          https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&usePUBJs=true
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I'm happy with that. It hasn't got me any closer to linking the two families though.
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post

You said you were a bit puzzled by two girls called Harriet Emma next to each other in the 1860 baptismal register in your first post. One with surname SALMON and one with surname SHEARSBY. The online trees refer to Harriet Emma SHEARBSY daughter of Joseph (butcher) and Emma. Emma’s mms shown on GRO Birth index as GRIFFITHS. Joseph and Emma had married in 1854. Sometime between 1871 and 1879 the couple plus Harriet Emma (and likely other children according to the trees) emigrated to New Zealand where all three died, Harriet Emma having married John BAKER out there.
              Harriet Emma’s SHEARSBY grandparents were Joseph SHEARSBY and Harriet LOCK who married in 1830. It is their daughter Harriet who married William SALMON and another of their daughters Elizabeth who married Edward GOODALL which gives you a connection between all three families - SHEARSBY, SALMON and GOODALL and the explanation for the surnames of the grandchildren on the 1871 census.
              I’m not sure how I can make it clearer
              like wot she sed.

I often find that If I have a big problem that I have to break it down into smaller pieces that seems to work for me.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

GRO
                Ann Shearsby Q2 1844 Warwick MMN Locke there's also an unnamed Shearsby male same certificate number etc MMN Locke
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
                  I'm happy with that. It hasn't got me any closer to linking the two families though.
                  Sorry, I wrote that before I saw all the page 3 posts.

Thank you all for that avalanche of information! I'll have to go and digest it all now in bite size chunks and add it to my tree

Comment

The reason I think that you have missed the connection is that Joseph SHEARSBY and Harriet LOCK had 6 children not 5. You are missing the 1835 Harriet as she was not at home on the 1851 census.
                    She is given as Harriot SHEARSBY aged 16 and is a servant in the household of James WILLIAMSON (tailor) of Cross Street, Leamington Priors. Harriet’s birthplace is given as Milverton which matches the baptism I posted earlier.

Comment

Thank you. I had missed that

Comment

The Charlotte SHEARSBY who married in 1878 to Walter Joseph REDDING is not your Charlotte. This one’s father was William SHEARSBY (deceased). Groom’s father Joseph REDDING (gentleman)
                        Timothy Caldecott SHEARSBY’s marriage to Alice Mary REDDING is the next one in the register and the fathers of all four persons are the same two men so this was a case of two siblings marrying two siblings on the same day.

Comment

I think Elaine has got it right with your Charlotte’s marriage
                          1863 Charlotte SHEARSBY to John Reed FUGE. They remain in Leamington Priors.
                          Charlotte dies 1896 and John remarries the following year to Annie CLARKE.
                          1901 census has them having a boarder called Selina CLARKE four years older than Annie. Selina is blind. Perhaps Annie’s sister?

UPDATE
                          Also in the household is Emily FUGE b.1885 who is John and Charlotte’s youngest child.
                          1911, Emily has moved out and is shown as a draper’s annuitant so presumably her father set her up with her own income. John dies in 1914.
                          Last edited by GallowayLass; 14-07-20, 23:12.

Comment

Am off to bed now. Must be up and about for 9am as the broadband engineer is coming anytime 9-12.

Comment

Brilliant! Thank you for all your searching on my behalf. A happy few hours now following up all those leads

Hope your broadband gets sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                GRO
                                Ann Shearsby Q2 1844 Warwick MMN Locke there's also an unnamed Shearsby male same certificate number etc MMN Locke
                                twins??? though I would have thought that they'd be consecutive numbers?
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I got a bit sidetracked today (as you do ) looking at newspaper articles about Joseph Shearsby. There were lots of interesting write ups involving theft, assault, stabbings and so on! BUT now I need to work out which were about Joseph the grandfather and which were about his son, Joseph. Happy days! (And evenings )

Comment

Oh my! That was a HUGE sidetrack! What a wild child that young Joseph was! I've attached one of many articles (with transcription) in case anyone fancies a read.

I have also found his sister Harriet in 1841 living with her grandparents. She was only 5 but her mother was probably pregnant with the 5th child at the time, naughty boy Joseph was 8 and probably already a trouble-maker, and the two other children were 3 and 1, too young to go and stay with grandparents. I wonder if she ever moved back to the family home or went from her grandparents straight into service.

It took a lot of unravelling mis-transcribed versions of Shearsby but I'm pleased to have sorted it out. I don't like those frustrating little ??? in the research.

Comment

Hhmm, better go and read up on how to attach a PDF

Comment

Here it is... But it looks as if you have to download it to read it. Don't know how to change that.
                                        Attached Files

Comment

I can't help but titter when I see the surname Overall! just think of Julie Walters

Ooh what a to do.
                                          Carolyn
                                          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Working...
                                          X