SALMONS, SHEARSBYS and GOODALLS - what a muddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SALMONS, SHEARSBYS and GOODALLS - what a muddle

This is seriously hurting my brain so if anyone fancies a challenge and would like to help me sort it out, I would be very grateful. I hope I can explain it clearly enough.

My first encounter with the name SALMON was many years ago when Harriett Emma SALMON appeared on the marriage certificate for Charles James GOODALL and Albertina Theresa CARPENTER in 1885.

Later, searching the census for Charles GOODALL I found him in 1871 living with his grandparents, Joseph and Harriet SHEARSBY, at the butcher’s shop in Lansdowne Street, Leamington. Also living there was Harriet SALMON, aged 11, grand-daughter. https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...5029&indiv=try So Charles and Harriett are cousins.

Charles was a sailor when he got married in 1885 and I have not been able to find him in 1881 so have assumed that he was at sea somewhere.

Charles has a brother, Frank b 1863 who I have only recently searched for whilst trying to unravel these families. In 1871 I have found him, also living in Lansdowne Street a short distance away from Joseph and Harriett SHEARSBY. But he is living with a SALMON family consisting of William (b 1829) and Harriett (b1835) SALMON, their children Walter J, Agnes M, William J, Fanny and Harry. Frank GOODALL is a nephew aged 7 and there is William G SALMON, nephew aged 10. https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...4939&indiv=try

So, I started looking for connections between the families. If the grandparents are SHEARSBY the grandchildren’s surnames must come from the marriages of their daughters. In the 1851 census they have 5 children, Joseph (1832), James 1838, Elizabeth (1840), Charlotte (1842) and Ann (1845)

*Elizabeth m Edward GOODALL in 1861 - she is mother of my Charles, Frank and their sister Lillie
    *From FMP, Charlotte m Walter Joseph REDDING or Timothy Caldecott SHEARSBY but I can’t find the equivalent fact on BMD
    *Ann I have searched on FreeBMD and FMP but no marriage between Ann and someone called SALMON

Next I went back to Harriett Emma Salmon and looked for her birth and found this in the baptism register 1860 St Mary, Leamington Priors. https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=successSource
    Not only was Harriett Emma SALMON baptised that day but also Harriett Emma SHEARSBY!

Now I’m so confused I can’t work out where to go next.

If you decide to take on the challenge I would be very grateful if you could explain your thoughts and the steps that you take so I can learn from the experience of others. Thank you.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Harriet Emma SALMON married Fred GODDEN (grocer) 24 April 1887 at St Paul, Leamington Priors. Certificate available to view on ancestry. Both aged 27 on marriage

Comment

Hi,

Did you see in 1841 that there is another child Jane that could be d/o Joseph & Harriett?

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=7619

I'm just having a mooch around trying to get my head around it all.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Harriet Emma SHEARSBY married John BAKER 1 December 1879 at Kaiapoi, Canterbury, New Zealand according to family trees on ancestry. John was born in New Zealand of Kentish born parents. Harriet died 1925.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
          Hi,

Did you see in 1841 that there is another child Jane that could be d/o Joseph & Harriett?

I'm just having a mooch around trying to get my head around it all.
          ignore that, Jane is actually James!.. MMN Locke [source GRO index]
          Last edited by Darksecretz; 14-07-20, 17:26.
          Julie

Comment

That might be worth a further look because I think grandmother Harriett Shearsby's maiden name might have been LOCK. Not confirmed.
            Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Originally posted by Gardengirl View Post
              That might be worth a further look because I think grandmother Harriett Shearsby's maiden name might have been LOCK. Not confirmed.
              Yes it was, she married Joseph 1830 so there may be other children born near to marriage date. [praps look on familysearch for baptisms?]

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=9852

Julie

Comment

The SHEARSBY family must have emigrated 1879 or earlier but I’m struggling to find anything with an exact date.
                1881 electoral register has him as a butcher at Kaiapoi and the sheep farmer returns of the same year have him owning 28 sheep, down from 30 the previous year and 76 in 1879.
                I have also found a record that has been attached to an ancestry tree that he was sentenced to 3 months in prison 10 July 1866 for assaulting a police officer. So the emigration was between then and 1879. Have you found him on the census in 1871? Sorry - ignore that about 1871 census. I see it mentioned in your first post.

Comment

Yes Joseph SHEARSBY (1807-1876) married Harriet LOCK (1804-1877) at Kenilworth, Warwickshire 2 March 1830. Again marriage register viewable on ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                    The SHEARSBY family must have emigrated 1879 or earlier but I’m struggling to find anything with an exact date.
                    1881 electoral register has him as a butcher at Kaiapoi and the sheep farmer returns of the same year have him owning 28 sheep, down from 30 the previous year and 76 in 1879.
                    I have also found a record that has been attached to an ancestry tree that he was sentenced to 3 months in prison 10 July 1866 for assaulting a police officer. So the emigration was between then and 1879. Have you found him on the census in 1871?
                    Is that from Ancestry Worldwide? Which Shearsby family are you talking about?

Comment

The children on the census 1871 in the SALMON household have mms SHEARSBY a couple of misspellings on GRO SHEARBY and SHERSBY. Marriage transcript
                      William
                      Salmon
                      -
                      31 Oct 1854
                      Leamington Priors
                      William
                      Salmon
                      Harriet
                      Shearsby
                      Joseph
                      Shearsby

Comment

Is that from Ancestry Worldwide? Which Shearsby family are you talking about?
                        The family of Harriet Emma SHEARSBY from the image of the baptismal register 1860.

Comment

The 1871 census grandson Charles GOODALL’s mms was also SHEARSBY
                          GOODALL, CHARLES SHEARSBY
                          GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in WARWICK UNION

Comment

Oops, I need a coffee. Finding things you already have. Soz.

Charles GOODALL’s parents;
                            Edward
                            Goodall
                            -
                            01 May 1861
                            Leamington Priors
                            Edward
                            Goodall
                            Elizabeth
                            Shearsby
                            Joseph
                            Shearsby
                            Warwickshire

Comment

I have also found a record that has been attached to an ancestry tree that he was sentenced to 3 months in prison 10 July 1866 for assaulting a police officer. So the emigration was between then and 1879. Have you found him on the census in 1871?

Sorry GallowayLass, you're going to fast for me and I'm struggling to follow your train of thought. Where did the bit about New Zealand come from. And which Shearsby family does it refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                                The 1871 census grandson Charles GOODALL’s mms was also SHEARSBY
                                GOODALL, CHARLES SHEARSBY
                                GRO Reference: 1861 D Quarter in WARWICK UNION
                                I already have this information. What I am trying to find out is the connection between the Shearsbys and the Salmons?

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post

Yes it was, she married Joseph 1830 so there may be other children born near to marriage date. [praps look on familysearch for baptisms?]

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=9852
                                  I'd really like this to be right but I feel I need to find confirmation somewhere. I'll go and have a look in the GRO index and see if there is a MMN for their children.

Comment

Baptism of another child to Joseph SHEARSBY and Harriet LOCK. Same woman who married William SALMON in 1854, I think.
                                    Harriet
                                    Sheasby
                                    Female
                                    -
                                    -
                                    20 Sep 1835
                                    Milverton
                                    Warwickshire
                                    England
                                    Joseph
                                    Sheasby
                                    Harriet
                                    -

Comment

Just managed to delete my message but now there are more replies!

I went straight to NZ on IGI so can finish the NZ link.

''In the 1851 census they have 5 children, Joseph (1832), James 1838, Elizabeth (1840), Charlotte (1842) and Ann (1845)''

Joseph married Emma Griffiths Birmingham and he went to NZ. His son Joseph married Agnes Hartwell

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Charlotte there is a this

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...&rhSource=8913

and a Charlotte Sheasby marrying 1874

James ?
                                      Ann
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I'd really like this to be right but I feel I need to find confirmation somewhere. I'll go and have a look in the GRO index and see if there is a MMN for their children.
                                        hopefully you can find some.. James is there as a Locke it might be worth your while purchasing one just to confirm parentage? [if you order a pdf you'll only have to pay £7] I used freebmd to look for Shearsby births and then began to look in the GRO index 'usually' the wife is producing offspring from the marriage for 20yrs.. then it stops.. so if she was having a child every 2 years she'd have at least 10 children.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X