• Show
Clear All

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    sorry crossed posts with Teasie

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    As you know he is a butcher, then I think these are the bits that refer to him directly

Originally posted by teasie View Post
    It probably doesn't help, but this may be his death:

WHICHELLOW, ABIEL 57 GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in OF WALLINGFORD Volume 06 Page 163
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    This maybe him then - address in 1830
    Oxford Journal 16 October 1830 Abiel.JPG

The 1837 death aged 57 was in Benson, so he is more likely yours, and is likely the same man from post #9 by Carolyn.

I don't know if it ties back to any known names in the family, but in 1841 a Ralph Whichello was the occupant of a House, Garden and Premises at Benson (Bensington) according to tithe records.
    Making him born in 1780

The other posts were helping unravel who the other Abiel is (well and the other Abiel that is a butcher) - as it does seem as though he is a relative.

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Sooo, the butcher is mine who died in Benson 1837. I'm lost with the rest of it (sorry)! Do you think he married Ann Holliday or Ann Hall? Do you think he is the one from Tetsworth or Aston or can we not be sure for these?
    Thanks as ever for bearing with me!
    Tessie
    In 1841 Ann Whichello aged 53 is living in Benson with son? Ralph aged 23. She wasn't born in County, which suggests she may be Ann Holiday who at marriage was of the parish of St Sepulchre, London.

Did you look at the 1790 will of Abel Whichello (see link at post #15) to see if you could work anything out from that?

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Sooo, the butcher is mine who died in Benson 1837. I'm lost with the rest of it (sorry)! Do you think he married Ann Holliday or Ann Hall? Do you think he is the one from Tetsworth or Aston or can we not be sure for these?
    Thanks as ever for bearing with me!
    Tessie

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post

link not working for me
    This is what it linked to:

Title Lease for a Year

Description PARTIES:

1. a) Abiel Whichello of Tetsworth, Butcher.
    b) Edward Webb of Stadhampton,Butcher (assignees under a Commission of bankruptcy awarded against John Cripps of Watlington, Tanner).
    c) John Cripps (as above).

2. John Tilson of Watlington Park, Esq.

PROPERTY: As in 32D/2 above.

Date 21/Dec/1775

Repository Oxfordshire Record Office.

Reference E31/32D/4

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Title Release following Lease for a Year

Description PARTIES:

1. a) Abiell Whichello (as in 32D/4 above). b) Edward Webb (as in 32D/4 above).

2. John Cripps (as in 32D/2 above).
    3. Thomas Higgs (as in 32D/3 above).
    4. John Tilson (as in 32D/4 above).
    5. Thomas Blackall of Great Haseley,Esq.

PROPERTY: As in 32D/4 above.

CONSIDERATION: £289 from 3, of which £216 2s 6d goes to 3, and £72 17s 7d to 1.

COMMENTS: 1 have been assigned 2's property to sell, because of 2's bankruptcy, and therefore sell it to 4. As part of the transaction, 3 assigns his mortgage on this property to 5, to hold in trust for 4.

Date 22/Dec/1775
    Repository Oxfordshire Record Office

Reference E31/32D/5

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    this must be the school master:
    https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...=successSource

1852 directory

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    There is a PCC will in 1790 for Abiel Whichello of Tetsworth that mentions various other Abiel Whichello's - one being a nephew and son of his brother William, and another being the son of his nephew John. I only skimmed a small part of it, but it might at least set out a trail you can follow?

He is possibly the same man - a butcher of Tetsworth - mentioned in this document:
    https://apps2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/srv...arch?offset=13
    link not working for me, there is a will on Ancestry - 1791, it must be the same - think the date is wrong and it should be 1790
    Name: Abiel Whichello
    Probate Date: 11 Feb 1791
    Residence: Tetsworth, Oxfordshire, England

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...1_310050-00287

Such a great name - they must be related.

I think the other married an Ann in 1801 and then there is another marriage to an Elizabeth and he is marked as a Widow.

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post
    Hi, lots for me to get my head around tomorrow, thanks! I'm assuming from Elaine's above post the the school master Abiel is NOT my Abiel?
    The 1837 death aged 57 was in Benson, so he is more likely yours, and is likely the same man from post #9 by Carolyn.

I don't know if it ties back to any known names in the family, but in 1841 a Ralph Whichello was the occupant of a House, Garden and Premises at Benson (Bensington) according to tithe records.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I did spot a marriage of Louisa Whichello in London 1858 - father Abel a butcher - not sure if that helps. Can find again - was on ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Hi, lots for me to get my head around tomorrow, thanks! I'm assuming from Elaine's above post the the school master Abiel is NOT my Abiel?

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    Don't know if this will help unravel a bit more, 1851 for Abiel, schoolmaster, is with Mary Monk, guessing she is his grandaughter looking at the GRO.

Think she may be the daughter of Thomas and Hannah in Brill, Bucks, Thomas is a carpenter

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Thame Union MMN WHICHELLO for children William and Mary

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    It looks like the 1837 death is the correct one as Oxfordshire History Centre has an 1837 document entitled "Bill of G P Cooke, coroner" which includes his bill for Oct 9 Benson, Abiel Whichells (sic)

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    This maybe him then - address in 1830
    Oxford Journal 16 October 1830 Abiel.JPG

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    The 1883 death can't be him as it says he was 79, so born c 1804.
    oh yes - maybe a son?- I think they are all the same person.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    there is a report of Abiel Whichello, Wallingford - butcher bankrupt in 23 July 1814 paper
    and under dividends 24 Nov 1827 same details
    - could this be a relative

there is someone of the same name in 1926 in Framlingham Suffolk - singing!

No one else in paper with the name at first search

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    The 1883 death can't be him as it says he was 79, so born c 1804.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Banbury Guardian 18 December 1845 Abiel.JPG

Bicester Herald 19 May 1871 Abiel.JPG
    This is a very long court report - 2 men stealing sheep - and Abiel was the expert witness

Bicester Herald 04 March 1870 Abiel.JPG

Aww - this is his death report - how sad

Bicester Herald 05 January 1883 Abiel.JPG
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 10-07-20, 18:37.

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    There is a PCC will in 1790 for Abiel Whichello of Tetsworth that mentions various other Abiel Whichello's - one being a nephew and son of his brother William, and another being the son of his nephew John. I only skimmed a small part of it, but it might at least set out a trail you can follow?

He is possibly the same man - a butcher of Tetsworth - mentioned in this document:
    https://apps2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/srv...arch?offset=13

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I am finding a few newspaper reports of a Butcher in Brill, will snip them and add on here - there are a few turning up in the newspaper around the country

Leave a comment:

• teasie
    replied
    It probably doesn't help, but this may be his death:

WHICHELLOW, ABIEL 57 GRO Reference: 1837 D Quarter in OF WALLINGFORD Volume 06 Page 163

Leave a comment:

Working...
X