a new find !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a new find !!

well I just keep plugging away and have now been amazed at what a distant connection has just sent me. I made contact yesterday with a 3rd cousin once removed in new zealand and she has just sent me some amazing reports from the newspapers. I recently proved through all my dna matches who my grandmothers biological father was which upset my aunt. We knew the man that raised her wasnt her true father but we hadnt really discussed the issue. so this morning this new 3rd cousin once removed sent me an article in the paper which tells me that my grandmothers mother was found in a drunken state with a strained ankle and was taken to hospital where she then gave birth.........(to my grandmother ).. the baby was then adopted out by the salvation army. I think they meant fostered as the baby was returned to the mother at a later date. . There is also an article about a great aunt carrying on with somebody and getting into trouble!!

What a find! You are being very lucky with your contacts. And a good reminder of how important newspapers and DNA are for our research.

Every time I am looking at any Australia connections I go straight to Trove.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Great find! Will you tell your aunt?

Comment

No I have decided not to ttell that one but have shared it with my other aunt in usa as she is always interested in what I find.
        I also received a snippet about a great grandfather being declared bankrupt.

Comment

That’s the fly in the ointment with fascinating finds / skeletons in cupboards. You are never sure who to tell. It sort of went in the opposite direction for me. I did not know until the early nineties when my favourite namesake aunt died that she was actually my Granny and my mother (who had been brought up as her youngest sister) was illegitimate. Turns out I was the only person on the planet that didn’t know!

Comment

My half brother has written a book about the lives of his six siblings, it's primarily based around one I never met who died last year. I chanced upon a news article and found several links between my paternal and maternal lines at about the same time he sent me a copy. I've found several new relatives in the last week or two, quite a few photographs and learned that a member of my birth family lived a few doors from my adoptive family while I was growing up. I don't really remember the chap and he moved to a village a few miles away but a facebook group for the village has produced a lot of memories and a few photographs of him. I never cease to be amazed how my maternal, paternal and adoptive families crossed paths for many years blissfully unaware I linked them all together in some way.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
            X