Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William JEFFS/JUFFS/

Hello to all,

I am wondering if anyone is interested in looking into William JEFFS/JUFFS who was 23 yrs old when he was transported to Australia via the ship Parmelia in 16 Nov 1832 into NSW. Wm crime was House Breaking and I think Assault.

Wm was convicted at Bedfordshire Assizes 3rd March and given life. I'm pretty sure Wm was married to Maria JEFFS m/s SMITH and had two children, daughters, Jane b: 1831 Rachel b: 1833, who were ultimately left in England when
    Wm was transported.

Wm, out here in Australia, went on to meet/marry??, although no record of a marriage has been found, a woman named Catherine. They had children starting in 1846 with the last about 1853 in the Berrima Mittagong area of NSW.
    The church record for the children only give bap etc details and names the father Wm JEFFS by now a free man and described as a farmer and mother Catherine no m/s name mentioned.

Wm dies in 1875 living at Wambanumba NSW. Catherine dies in 1893 in a Government Asylum for the infirmed and destitute. She states she has been in the colony over 50 yrs and came from Scotland.

I don't sub to Ancestry but did a 1 mth sub this mth l to look for any additional information. I did see a large number of TREES that have Catherine's msn down as MCKENZIE. It seems I can not get an answer to where this name
    came from, and it is looking like a domino effect of copying that surname MCKENZIE.

I have looked at immigrant records but none fit as they are mostly Irish and much later than when Catherine would have originally arrived. I have also looked at Convict records and feel this is more than likely her passage into Australia.

Thing is the Scottish one's that seem to match, a bit , went to Tasmania, married and then died. The ones that came to NSW also either died , married, as well. Nothing seems to fit.

My question to this forum is can anyone please go over the details I have supplied and see if there are any records that may have been missed by myself. Wm JEFFS place of birth I think is Houghton Conquest, with father being also
    a Wm and mother Martha msn Smart.

Thank you

Hello again,

More to the story as I have just realized I had my wires crossed. The Wm JEFFS/JUFFS concerned married ANNE BUSBY, daughter of Samuel BUSBY and Edith ARMSTRONG, B: IN 1811 at Houghton Conquest. They married 5 Nov 1830 at HQ.
    There were two Wm JEFFS/JUFFS that were transported, one on the John BARRY the other on the PARMELIA. The PARMELIA is the relevant Wm.

I have just located Anne with her and Wm's infant son living with her parents in the 1841 census at Houghton Conquest.

Sorry for adding some confusion.

Comment

I am not so good on Australia, will have a look later, but I live just a stones throw from Houghton Conquest!
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If you've worked back to william and catherine, and there are no birth records, just baptisms....then i assume you have a marriage certificate of the child of theirs you descend from...

marriage and death records in NSW ask for parents names. Birth and death indexes only record the first names, no surnames. The actual certificates record parent's full names.

so in order to prove catherine's maiden name without the existence of birth certificates, you will need marriage or death certs for her children.

convicts often didn't marry their partners. De facto relationships were encouraged by the authorities. This might be the case if either convict had a living spouse in britain also.

Comment

Found a small piece in the newspaper about and a Dennis Juffs who is an accessory after the fact to a burglary commited by William Juffs Jan 25th,

Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette 04 February 1832

Attached Files
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

as I have been wandering around Bedfordshire tonight I did stumble across this site again that I keep forgetting about, sorry getting late and not sure what is there:
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Hello to all,

Thank you all for helping with this. I haven't purchased any certs yet, I wanted to see what I could find before going that way.

I looked at the Bedford Prison data base site and looks like the father William has also ended up on a hulk awaiting transportation.

I think you are right Kylejustin, they probably didn't marry at all.

I didnt know about the brothers so thank you Elaine.

I'm glad I posted my post as I have learned some valuable information, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                as I have been wandering around Bedfordshire tonight I did stumble across this site again that I keep forgetting about, sorry getting late and not sure what is there:
                https://archive.org/details/bedfordshirepari41bedf
                Hello cbCarolyn, Thank you so much for the link to the BDM book. I have been just going through it and have found siblings of Wm (convict) also the marriage of his parents.

I have also noted other names I think the family may connect to so there is much to look for in that reference book, it's a great resource.

Comment

We might have some things in the library for Houghton Conquest, if not in Flitwick. So when things are open again I can go and have a mooch around.

I can certainly wander around the church yard sometime if that is of any use.

Bedfordshire seems a little light on records, not sure why. I am not from the area at all, but do also have a brief spell in my tree in the county before going to VDL! I have not been able to pin point him in Aus, or in Bedfordshire really.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Carolyn,

Who is your's ??? let me know all the details and I will go at it!!

Comment

I have a number of records on him and newspaper, lots of the links are here:
                      https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...-james-ashwell

I just never found out for certain what happened to him after he got a pardon

my tree is here:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tr...01744197/facts

Carolyn
                      Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Carolyn

Not sure if you had seen this?

I found a steerage passage of James Ashwell with a women Ellen Ashwell both Free. The record states free by servitude, pardon or conditional pardon for passenger status,12 April 1852 Launceston to Melbourne.
                        I took a screen shot of the document.

I had seen a death of a James ASHWORTH b: 1795 died Longford age 58 yrs a laborer in Tasmania and wondered if it could be him with his name mistaken, the informant was Elizabeth Williams. (Made a copy anyway.)

Haven't finished looking.

Comment

there was another James Ashwell at similar time.

both sounds promising, I did also start trees to eliminate the few I did find in the UK after the pardon. So can do the same with Ashworth.

Thank you
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

Hi Carolyn,

Well I have looked high and low and as you would be expecting have nothing to add to the passenger list to Victoria. I think he must have changed his name. He couldn't return to England on a conditional pardon only an absolute pardon would make that
                            possible. I have seen nothing to indicate he received an absolute pardon. There was mention in a Tasmanian newspaper of 1851, you probably have seen this, where a James ASHWELL is mentioned with a group of fellows going to court.

Nothing definitive to say that James was your James though. If he did change his name I doubt we can ever find him..... but you never know what new old records are coming to light for us to search.
                            Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.... I will however keep an eye out for that name.

Comment

thank you for looking, or I guess he could have died soon after his pardon.

I remembered I have him here:
                              https://www.familytree.chatandthat.c...ashwell-b1796/ and a link to the records that I have found is on the page.
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

I find it quite interesting that the death of James ASHWORTH at age 58 yrs in 1852 at LONGFORD TASMANIA considering your James ASHWELL was assigned and living at LONGFORD TASMANIA .

The 1851 James ASHWELL back in court with a group of fellows in the paper I mentioned has to be your James as this is LONGFORD TASMANIA and there is a Mr REID involved.
                                Maybe I'm wrong.

Comment

Another Newspaper report 1851 Jan stating James ASHWELL , conditional pardon, was a prisoner awaiting trial in the above mention matter James ASHWELL 1851 Newspaper.png

Comment

if you have the copies that would be great, Ashworth certainly seems likely. Thank you for your hardwork.

Were they on trove? I can take a look.
                                    Carolyn
                                    Family Tree site

Comment

Yes the newspapers are on Trove, Jan 1851, they come up under James ASHWELL and Mr Charles REID. Here is the copy of that death record. I have been trying to see what I can find out about Elizabeth WILLIAMS. JAMES ashworth DEATH 1853 ORIG DOC.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                      X