Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bad experiences contacting living relatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad experiences contacting living relatives?

this is a long and complicated one, apologies.

i have spent years trying to track down relatives of my paternal biological grandfather, as the tree is rather thin and i would love to find someone who has stories or photo's. he had no paternal siblings (two maternal half sisters, i have contact with this side of the family), and only two paternal cousins. one male cousin died unmarried and childless. the other cousin is deceased but had a family, and i have tried contacting her daughter.

this lady would be 80 something, and her daughter in law and i have corresponded on ancestry, and she gave me this lady's number. i called a month ago only to be told by the husband there was no one of that name there. i forgot about it until this week, and called again; leaving a message on the answering machine. this lady called me back, and started attacking me thinking i was after money. i had suspected this was the reason i had no contact.

this lady kept telling me the tree i had wasn't true, only to back track (i assume she thought she would catch me in a lie, kept telling me i "was a smart boy") asking me how i knew all this information. and then told me my grandfather had no sons, only daughters. this is true, my grandfather had no LEGITIMATE sons. i tried explaining this, but she wouldn't have a bar of it. i feel so deflated about all this.

the thing is, my paternal grandmother had an affair with her married boss, my biological grandfather. she was married too. both marriages broke down, and things ended between them. her boss got divorced and ended up married to her younger sister, and had his daughters with her. my grandmother became widowed and remarried years later. i knew my biological grandfather as my "uncle" my whole life, with family and local rumours he was actually my grandfather. he and my father were very close, and i have memories of this man. i was 5 when he died, and he was scary and decrepit from cancer. i was at his funeral, and was scared i would fall into his grave, as it was so deep.

i was brought up believing my grandmother's first husband was my grandfather. when i was a teenager, i had a y-dna test with his brother. there was no match, but his dna matched others of that surname in the database. by this i concluded my grandmother's boss was likely my grandfather at this point.

but i wanted more solid proof. so when ancestry's dna testing came out, i did it. i matched with all the surnames in my "uncle's" biological family. i have 15 matches with his paternal grandfather's french family. a few possible distant matches for the irish paternal grandmother's side (only 2 of 6 children had descendants, so thin here too). his maternal side matched all the families in australia and england, too; including dna with his aunt's grandson. this is more than enough proof in my eyes, coupled with the fact i had my "uncle's" daughter do the ancestry test too. as she and my father are maternal first cousins, i knew we would have some of the same matches. but we also matched many people on her father's side of the family. impossible to do so unless her father is also my grandfather.

all i wanted was to find living relatives, so i knew what my great grandparents looked like. and could find out stories about the family. my biological grandfather didn't have any photo's, and was stoic in regards to family. his daughter told me he never spoke of them. yet his half sister's families and his cousins' knew him well.

i'd understand this lady's reaction of illegitimate relatives, if she was a close family member. but she is a first cousin once removed of my biological grandfather. only a few family members are aware of the dna testing and what it proves.

that this lady's initial response was to assume i wanted money is rather hurtful.

That is hard and must be disappointing.

I wonder - have you tried putting it all in a letter? Although most of us here are used to phones, I've been reading lately about folk of the same age who still hate using the phone (or any technology come to that) or it can be dismissed as cold calling and the more you insist/try to explain, the more she will resist.

A written document will be easier for her to go over and re-read and also help her understand what you were trying to tell her. A letter would enable you to apologise for any perceived rudeness she may have felt from you and mainly you can reassure her about your motive.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

i don't want to contact her again. i sent a text to her daughter in law straight afterwards, to explain the situation and apologise for upsetting her. she said it wasn't a problem, and she would be seeing her on the school holidays. she said she would explain everything. just don't really want to upset this lady any further, or have anymore accusations levelled at me. if she decides to contact me, that is her decision. maybe she had a bad experience with scams in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        i don't want to contact her again. i sent a text to her daughter in law straight afterwards, to explain the situation and apologise for upsetting her. she said it wasn't a problem, and she would be seeing her on the school holidays. she said she would explain everything. just don't really want to upset this lady any further, or have anymore accusations levelled at me. if she decides to contact me, that is her decision. maybe she had a bad experience with scams in the past.
        A personal formal letter will be more appreciated than a text via a daughter-in-law. She may not reply but it will be noted as good manners which can go a long way!!

A phone conversation can be annoying for some people especially if they might be hard of hearing - you are probably seeing it from your end of the age continuum, you take them for granted as a means of communication, I can still remember being scared of the phone and I am not as old as her, and anyway, you can't beat putting it clearly in print.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Yes, I agree with Caroline. Set it all out in print as simply as you can. Too much detail can put people off! Right at the start begin by saying briefly what you would like (ie a little photo or story). Reassure them that you don't need personal contact or money. People can be more frightened that their lives will be upset by a 'stranger' wanting to get close to them. Send the letter to the old lady and her relative, who may talk to her about it.

In the end though, folks are all different and you may just have to leave it alone. I know the massive amount of work you put into your family research (I still remember all those Arthuret people!!) and you can be proud of that, and that you have it as correct as you possibly can.
          Anne

Comment

I agree would do the same. Keep the letter to bullet points or similar so not too much to read, and include a basic tree to show the connections, maybe colour the DNA connections, something that is easier to explain with visual aid.

She may not grasp DNA and how it can prove connections.
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
            Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

I agree with Anne and Caroline in as much that a letter would be appropriate, but I think probably using an indirect approach via the D-I-L rather than direct the older lady. I feel sure a go between might help here.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

So sorry to hear your bad experience. I think you may still end up getting contact one way or the other as the daughter hasn’t been put off and is going to bring the subject up on your behalf when she sees her.
                I am a firm believer in a letter rather than an initial phone call or just turning up on the doorstep. I have written a letter in the last year and initially did get contact after a while but the person has now shut me out. That was very disappointing but what was rather annoying was in the intervening time, she had me do her husband’s tree. I wrote a similar but less difficult letter to another member of my new found family but it has remained unanswered.
                One of the family members from another line wrote to her uncle on my behalf. I didn’t know she had until she was sure, in time, that she was not going get a reply. She hadn’t wanted to get my hopes up. These two main letters had been my hopes of finding out which of two brothers was my real maternal grandfather. There is another lady that I can write to but I haven’t made myself sit down and do it yet as I found the first one very difficult to write and worried that I had no right really to be doing it but I had the encouragement of the lady I mentioned who had already written on my behalf and also her own father. I emailed her a copy of the letter before it was sent so they could read it first and suggest any changes. Perhaps you could do the same with your elderly lady’s daughter as you are still in touch. There’s no harm in asking and also if she thinks it would be advisable to hang fire till after she has spoken with her again.
                Like you, I have been asked by two of the new found family, what it is that I was expecting from my contact. I think the gold digging worry is a common thing. Good job that’s not what I was after as there was a fair old mine to dig in, still is LOL I just want to find my missing quarter and any new family that I get to know is a bonus. I have been lucky on that front in both Canada and Australia.

Comment

I would write too, and personally would prefer to be written to, rather than to be phoned out of the blue. A letter can be put to one side, then later mulled over and thought about, whilst a phone call can put you on the spot, take you aback, startle you in this era of persistent scams, let alone come at a very inconvenient time. A letter, with a SAE for an acknowledgement or response, also containing a contact phone number with the promise of if you prefer, please contact and I'll return the call, would be better. Sometimes it takes people a long time to chew things over before they feel able and prepared to respond. I too would use the DiL as an intermediary and send her a letter which she can share with her MiL; make it very clear about the relationship, the fact that you knew your biological grandfather, but at that time didn't know how close a relative he was, and also tell them that all you wish for is a photo, a memory,a family story to bring you some closure.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I can only echo what the others have said, a letter stating exactly what you want and perhaps politely pointing out that whatever happened in the past is not your fault or hers.

We have all been conditioned to be suspicious of phone calls from strangers, so I understand that angle and a letter is always better, so I wouldn't take her suspicion and hostility personally.

I have several instances of rejection by relatives. I have several friend who were adopted or born in complicated circumstances. Most were welcomed warmly initially but later rejected, one actually received a solicitor's letter telling him to stay away. The chorus from all those involved was " but what do you want from us? ". Some older people feel shame and embarrassment about things which weren't their fault and that shows as hostility.

Try a letter. Say you will not bother her again but send a stamped addressed envelope and say you would appreciate a photo if she has one.

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

OC

Comment

I have a long and complicated situation as well...lol When I started out doing my family history I had no idea my mum had 6 half siblings. When i connected to them they welcomed me with open arms as they had been trying to contact my mum. One of them had already done some research and for the sake of the family tree my grandmother was listed as having a father Samuel Hall but everybody knew he wasnt a biological father but was the one that raised her. There are still some questions I need to ask about that. Any way through my dna results I kept getting matches that all had one surname in common but not one that I was familiar with. First week of lockdown i broke through it all and realized who my grandmother biological father is. I was highly delighted so started adding bits to my tree including on familysearch. Big mistake as this really upset my aunt. She said you need a certificate from the government before you can do that or you need absolute proof and dna cant be trusted. So i have removed it from familysearch but left it on the ones you need a sub for........ I had forgotten they are all mormons so use that site. I apologized and told her I removed it

Comment

Not the same problem as yours but similar, my 2nd cousin (now in her 80s) came here from India and I found her on a shipping list, I wrote her a letter explaining who I was and giving her a brief outline of my research. I put a SAE in the letter but never heard from her.....then many months later, a letter arrived from her and she said her dads name wasn't the name I had called him but all the other stuff tallied up. I wrote back and asked if I could forward her dads army details and his marriage cert to which she agreed. I waited months again for a reply, then I sent the stuff off to her. What a lovely reply I had to this!!, she said she thought she was the only family member left and was delighted to hear from me.
                        Send her a letter, just give a brief outline what you have to say........then wait for a reply, give her time to digest the info. Don't forget, may be afraid talking to you...

Good Luck.......Remember, Patience is a Virtue!
                        Jacky

Comment

Speaking from the receiver's possible view ........

.......... I am now 80, have been been researching for about 15 or so years, and would not respond well to a phone call from someone saying they were related to me.

Like many people, a) I do not trust such calls, and b) I need to see the written evidence and be able to study it myself.

and that is despite all the years I've put in.

I don't even trust contacts via the genealogical sites from people saying they are connected until I have checked it out thoroughly, by myself!
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I always write and enclose a stamped addressed Envelope, I also add my Phone Number just in case.
                            I also add to the bottom of the Letter, if they dont want to be in touch ,could they just send the Envelope back with a note saying no, at least then I know they received it.

Comment

Working...
                            X