X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tessie31082
    replied
    Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
    Possibly. There is a Mary Elizabeth Bright in the 1891 with father Thomas b Pondy, Mon with wife Louisa b Herefordshire with Mary Elizabeth said to be b Hereford but I think she maybe is the Mary Elizabeth Jane on the GRO b 1887 Bedwelty mmn Bolter

A Louisa Bolter m Thomas Bright 1887

I can see an education record on FMP for Mary Elizabeth Bright same dob as 1939 at school in Nantyglo, Mon father Thomas
    ​​

A Louisa Bright dies 1892. Can possibly see Louisa with family. Not getting anything definite for Thomas and Mary E after that. Will put up links.

Vera
    Vera / cbcarolyn - I was just going to ask this myself as could only find the Mary E Bright born in Bedwelty (hadn't come across 1891 census)!

Leave a comment:

• vera2013
    replied
    Possibly. There is a Mary Elizabeth Bright in the 1891 with father Thomas b Pondy, Mon with wife Louisa b Herefordshire with Mary Elizabeth said to be b Hereford but I think she maybe is the Mary Elizabeth Jane on the GRO b 1887 Bedwelty mmn Bolter

A Louisa Bolter m Thomas Bright 1887

I can see an education record on FMP for Mary Elizabeth Bright same dob as 1939 at school in Nantyglo, Mon father Thomas
    ​​

A Louisa Bright dies 1892. Can possibly see Louisa with family. Not getting anything definite for Thomas and Mary E after that. Will put up links.

Vera

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    you will have to let us know what it says. It maybe that she is Jones, and her mother remarried, I did start searching for Bright earlier on in the evening and wasn't getting far, did anyone find Mary Elizabeths family?
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-06-20, 09:04.

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Oh my goodness thanks everyone I think I will get the BC just for curiosity but these must be the right people and I guess it would fit being a collier instead of being conscripted if you were a master grocer. I have just purchased some FMP credits so guess what I will be doing after work later

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I can't see the baptisms, nor Burial for Melvyn

The burial
    Barbara Megan
    Chesterman
    3M
    03 Jan 1921

39 Lower Monk Street
    Joyce Margaret
    Chisterman
    15M
    05 Jan 1922
    Abergavenny, St Mary
    same address

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    this baptism is on FMP
    Audrey Doreen
    Chaterman
    ? ? 1916
    01 Nov 1916
    Abercarn
    Monmouthshire
    Wales
    Rufus Henry
    Mary Elizabeth
    Monmouthshire Baptisms
    Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
    Parish Baptisms
    Wales, Great Britain
    address 70 Newport road, and he is a collier, so very odd, can't believe that these are different people..

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...F914023026%2F1
    Curiouser and curiouser! Yes, hard to believe they are different people.

The only thing I can think of - perhaps he opted to go down the pits as an alternative to being conscripted? (I have just come back to the thread after seeing if I could find him serving in WW1 but didn't find anything. I also found a few trees with him on ancestry but none of them have any details of wife/children. On the trees he rejoices in the full name of Rufus Henry Victor Chesterman. They have him dying in Abergavenny in 1952)

I daresay you are already on the case - are there any records of baps and burials on FMP for the other Chesterman-Bright children. My FMP sub expired a few days ago...
    Christine

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Baptisms for Melvyn on FMP too from info in Christines post:
    Melvyn Gordon Grocers asst 2a Ivor Street Abercan

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    sorry I missed Christines post in the middle.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    this baptism is on FMP
    Audrey Doreen
    Chaterman
    ? ? 1916
    01 Nov 1916
    Abercarn
    Monmouthshire
    Wales
    Rufus Henry
    Mary Elizabeth
    Monmouthshire Baptisms
    Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
    Parish Baptisms
    Wales, Great Britain

address 70 Newport road, and he is a collier, so very odd, can't believe that these are different people..

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...F914023026%2F1

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    the dates seems to tie up, but where has Jones come from - maybe the registrar just added Jones as it often was

Leave a comment:

• Karamazov
    replied
    Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Audrey is married on the 1939 to William Lewis - just re-looked and they are living with Henry and Mary E Chesterman - must be her parents but still doesn't help that the MMN is Jones on Audrey's birth record even though the marriage Elaine has found would fit (almost for names) and the fact that Henry is a master grocer!
    There are three other Chesterman-Bright children on FreeBMD. Sadly, they all die as infants. The place/time line ties in with what you said about Audrey being born Newport M but living most of her life in Abergavenny.
    Births Sep 1915
    Chesterman Melvyn G Bright Newport M 11a 623
    Births Dec 1920
    Chesterman Barbara M Bright Abergavenny 11a 84
    Chesterman Joyce M. Bright Abergavenny 11a 84

Deaths Jun 1917
    Chesterman Melvyn G 1 Newport M 11a 291
    Deaths Mar 1921
    Chesterman Barbara M 0 Abergavenny 11a 51
    Deaths Mar 1922
    Chesterman Joyce M. 1 Abergavenny 11a 69
    It looks to me as if Elaine hit on the right marriage in post 5 and the mmn Jones on Audrey's birth reg is some weird and as yet inexplicable aberration. I don't suppose you'll know for sure unless you get Audrey's birth cert.

Christine

Leave a comment:

• tessie31082
    replied
    Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
    have you got Audrey in 1939 register - wondered where she is, could be near parents. Was she the only one?
    Audrey is married on the 1939 to William Lewis - just re-looked and they are living with Henry and Mary E Chesterman - must be her parents but still doesn't help that the MMN is Jones on Audrey's birth record even though the marriage Elaine has found would fit (almost for names) and the fact that Henry is a master grocer!

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    There is also an Orlando Henry (and Oswald Victor) in Usk, can't see a marriage for Orlando

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=6270967

Thomas marries Sarah Ann Leach Q2 1875 Stroud

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    Originally posted by Elaine View Post
    Do you think Henry is Rufus Henry Chesterman?

Rufus Henry Chesterman (grocer's assistant) marries Mary Elizabeth Bright spinster in Abergavenny 1914. Marriage is on FMP, could Audrey be related to the family?

1901 as Rufus in Rhondda born Bwlch father Thomas....occs matches marriage for father and son
    1911 as Henry assissting grocer born Bwlch
    1939 Henry grocer master

Witnesses to the marriage are William Henry Powell Beatrice Jessie Chesterman

Beatrice marries Thomas Alfred Williams 1916
    looks like Beatrice is his sister in 1891 Census:

Name Age
    Thomas Chesterman 50
    Sarah Ann Chesterman 44
    Rose Emily Chesterman 14
    Frances Alice Chesterman 8
    Lilian Louisa Mary Chesterman 6
    Rufus Henry Victor Chesterman 3
    Beatrice Jessie Chesterman 1
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-06-20, 21:00.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    I was looking at this hoping that Mary was born Jones, but obviously not if she is a spinster.

Chesterman looked like a easy name in Wales, but there are a few around!

Leave a comment:

• Elaine
    replied
    Do you think Henry is Rufus Henry Chesterman?

Rufus Henry Chesterman (grocer's assistant) marries Mary Elizabeth Bright spinster in Abergavenny 1914. Marriage is on FMP, could Audrey be related to the family?

1901 as Rufus in Rhondda born Bwlch father Thomas....occs matches marriage for father and son
    1911 as Henry assissting grocer born Bwlch
    1939 Henry grocer master

Witnesses to the marriage are William Henry Powell Beatrice Jessie Chesterman

Beatrice marries Thomas Alfred Williams 1916

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    she could be widowed and not Jones for marriage
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-06-20, 20:30.

Leave a comment:

• cbcarolyn
    replied
    have you got Audrey in 1939 register - wondered where she is, could be near parents. Was she the only one?

Leave a comment:

• Katarzyna
    replied
    There doesn't appear to be a tree on Ancestry to crib from. Have you looked at marriage reports in a local newspaper? If not it would be Audrey's marriage cert for the father or Birth cert for both parents.
    Edit:
    ​​​​​​​MMN is definitely Jones on the FreeBMD image.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-06-20, 19:18.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X