Advice on where to go next please :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on where to go next please :)

Hi all, trying to start a new tree and most of the family are from Wales (not been here before!).

I have got Audrey Doreen Chesterman b. 1916 Newport M, Glamorganshire. Doing a birth look up gives the MMN as Jomes (Jones I'm assuming) but lived most her life in Abergavenny.

However, I can't see a marriage for a Chesterman and Jones. I have a hint on Ancestry for her Father being called Henry and found a Henry and Mary Chesterman on the 1939 (assumed hint off of Ancestry) but I have no idea if they are correct and again I can't find a marriage for a Henry Chesterman to a Mary Jones anywhere. I must of missed something, not looking in the right place or something is mis-spelt to try and find a Chesterman/Jones marriage. Can any of you lovely lot offer some advice on where to go next apart from getting Audrey's BC?

Thanks

There doesn't appear to be a tree on Ancestry to crib from. Have you looked at marriage reports in a local newspaper? If not it would be Audrey's marriage cert for the father or Birth cert for both parents.
    Edit:
    ​​​​​​​MMN is definitely Jones on the FreeBMD image.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 29-06-20, 19:18.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

have you got Audrey in 1939 register - wondered where she is, could be near parents. Was she the only one?
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

she could be widowed and not Jones for marriage
        Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-06-20, 20:30.
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Do you think Henry is Rufus Henry Chesterman?

Rufus Henry Chesterman (grocer's assistant) marries Mary Elizabeth Bright spinster in Abergavenny 1914. Marriage is on FMP, could Audrey be related to the family?

1901 as Rufus in Rhondda born Bwlch father Thomas....occs matches marriage for father and son
          1911 as Henry assissting grocer born Bwlch
          1939 Henry grocer master

Witnesses to the marriage are William Henry Powell Beatrice Jessie Chesterman

Beatrice marries Thomas Alfred Williams 1916
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I was looking at this hoping that Mary was born Jones, but obviously not if she is a spinster.

Chesterman looked like a easy name in Wales, but there are a few around!
            Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
              Do you think Henry is Rufus Henry Chesterman?

Rufus Henry Chesterman (grocer's assistant) marries Mary Elizabeth Bright spinster in Abergavenny 1914. Marriage is on FMP, could Audrey be related to the family?

1901 as Rufus in Rhondda born Bwlch father Thomas....occs matches marriage for father and son
              1911 as Henry assissting grocer born Bwlch
              1939 Henry grocer master

Witnesses to the marriage are William Henry Powell Beatrice Jessie Chesterman

Beatrice marries Thomas Alfred Williams 1916
              looks like Beatrice is his sister in 1891 Census:

Name Age
              Thomas Chesterman 50
              Sarah Ann Chesterman 44
              Rose Emily Chesterman 14
              Frances Alice Chesterman 8
              Lilian Louisa Mary Chesterman 6
              Rufus Henry Victor Chesterman 3
              Beatrice Jessie Chesterman 1
              Last edited by cbcarolyn; 29-06-20, 21:00.
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bi...=try&h=6270967

Thomas marries Sarah Ann Leach Q2 1875 Stroud
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There is also an Orlando Henry (and Oswald Victor) in Usk, can't see a marriage for Orlando
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                    have you got Audrey in 1939 register - wondered where she is, could be near parents. Was she the only one?
                    Audrey is married on the 1939 to William Lewis - just re-looked and they are living with Henry and Mary E Chesterman - must be her parents but still doesn't help that the MMN is Jones on Audrey's birth record even though the marriage Elaine has found would fit (almost for names) and the fact that Henry is a master grocer!

Comment

Originally posted by tessie31082 View Post

Audrey is married on the 1939 to William Lewis - just re-looked and they are living with Henry and Mary E Chesterman - must be her parents but still doesn't help that the MMN is Jones on Audrey's birth record even though the marriage Elaine has found would fit (almost for names) and the fact that Henry is a master grocer!
                      There are three other Chesterman-Bright children on FreeBMD. Sadly, they all die as infants. The place/time line ties in with what you said about Audrey being born Newport M but living most of her life in Abergavenny.
                      Births Sep 1915
                      Chesterman Melvyn G Bright Newport M 11a 623
                      Births Dec 1920
                      Chesterman Barbara M Bright Abergavenny 11a 84
                      Chesterman Joyce M. Bright Abergavenny 11a 84

Deaths Jun 1917
                      Chesterman Melvyn G 1 Newport M 11a 291
                      Deaths Mar 1921
                      Chesterman Barbara M 0 Abergavenny 11a 51
                      Deaths Mar 1922
                      Chesterman Joyce M. 1 Abergavenny 11a 69
                      It looks to me as if Elaine hit on the right marriage in post 5 and the mmn Jones on Audrey's birth reg is some weird and as yet inexplicable aberration. I don't suppose you'll know for sure unless you get Audrey's birth cert.

Christine
                      Researching:
                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

the dates seems to tie up, but where has Jones come from - maybe the registrar just added Jones as it often was
                        Carolyn
                        Family Tree site

Comment

this baptism is on FMP
                          Audrey Doreen
                          Chaterman
                          ? ? 1916
                          01 Nov 1916
                          Abercarn
                          Monmouthshire
                          Wales
                          Rufus Henry
                          Mary Elizabeth
                          Monmouthshire Baptisms
                          Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
                          Parish Baptisms
                          Wales, Great Britain

address 70 Newport road, and he is a collier, so very odd, can't believe that these are different people..

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...F914023026%2F1
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

sorry I missed Christines post in the middle.
                            Carolyn
                            Family Tree site

Comment

Baptisms for Melvyn on FMP too from info in Christines post:
                              Melvyn Gordon Grocers asst 2a Ivor Street Abercan
                              Carolyn
                              Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                this baptism is on FMP
                                Audrey Doreen
                                Chaterman
                                ? ? 1916
                                01 Nov 1916
                                Abercarn
                                Monmouthshire
                                Wales
                                Rufus Henry
                                Mary Elizabeth
                                Monmouthshire Baptisms
                                Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
                                Parish Baptisms
                                Wales, Great Britain
                                address 70 Newport road, and he is a collier, so very odd, can't believe that these are different people..

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/reco...F914023026%2F1
                                Curiouser and curiouser! Yes, hard to believe they are different people.

The only thing I can think of - perhaps he opted to go down the pits as an alternative to being conscripted? (I have just come back to the thread after seeing if I could find him serving in WW1 but didn't find anything. I also found a few trees with him on ancestry but none of them have any details of wife/children. On the trees he rejoices in the full name of Rufus Henry Victor Chesterman. They have him dying in Abergavenny in 1952)

I daresay you are already on the case - are there any records of baps and burials on FMP for the other Chesterman-Bright children. My FMP sub expired a few days ago...
                                Christine
                                Researching:
                                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I can't see the baptisms, nor Burial for Melvyn

The burial
                                  Barbara Megan
                                  Chesterman
                                  3M
                                  03 Jan 1921

39 Lower Monk Street
                                  Joyce Margaret
                                  Chisterman
                                  15M
                                  05 Jan 1922
                                  Abergavenny, St Mary
                                  same address
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Oh my goodness thanks everyone I think I will get the BC just for curiosity but these must be the right people and I guess it would fit being a collier instead of being conscripted if you were a master grocer. I have just purchased some FMP credits so guess what I will be doing after work later

Comment

you will have to let us know what it says. It maybe that she is Jones, and her mother remarried, I did start searching for Bright earlier on in the evening and wasn't getting far, did anyone find Mary Elizabeths family?
                                      Last edited by cbcarolyn; 30-06-20, 09:04.
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Possibly. There is a Mary Elizabeth Bright in the 1891 with father Thomas b Pondy, Mon with wife Louisa b Herefordshire with Mary Elizabeth said to be b Hereford but I think she maybe is the Mary Elizabeth Jane on the GRO b 1887 Bedwelty mmn Bolter

A Louisa Bolter m Thomas Bright 1887

I can see an education record on FMP for Mary Elizabeth Bright same dob as 1939 at school in Nantyglo, Mon father Thomas
                                        ​​

A Louisa Bright dies 1892. Can possibly see Louisa with family. Not getting anything definite for Thomas and Mary E after that. Will put up links.

Vera

Comment

Working...
                                        X