1939 retractions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 retractions

Hello, I'm sure this is covered elsewhere (I did have a quick search but nothing jumped out)! How long does it take for retractions on the 1939 to be uncovered? I'd love to see my Grandad on it (he died in 2009) but I'd prefer not to pay £25 NA for it to be done. Is it just a case of waiting for them to process that year?
    Thanks
    Tessie

What year was he born? That is what determines when the redaction is removed. FMP are better than Ancestry at keeping up with the 100 year rule. If grandad was born much after 1920 then you could ask FMP to open the record by sending them a copy of his death certificate.
    Anne

Comment

Anne, thanks! I wrongly assumed that once someone had passed away and were alive for the 1939 they would get cross referenced and opened up - he wasn't born until 1932!

Comment

It is because the Register was actually updated until the mid 1990s by the NHS. Anyone born more recently than 100 years ago who was still alive when the register stopped being updated will still be redacted unless someone informs of their death or it reaches 100 years since they were born.
        Anne

Comment

There is something on FMP about how often they update, and also Ancestry. He should be showing on there by now, my aunt that dies 5 years ago, was soon on there.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
          Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

If you are a FMP subscriber you can do it this way:
            https://www.findmypast.com/frequentl...should-be-open

What if I notice an officially closed record in the 1939 Register that I believe should be open?

Answer:

Individuals records remain closed for 100 years from their date of birth (100 year rule). Records remain closed for people born less than 100 years ago until proof of death is verified. You can read more about this here.

You can request that an officially closed record is opened through our online Evidence of Death form. Current subscribers to Findmypast, have the option available for free.

Once you have located the record and are viewing the transcript, you will see the option 'Open a closed record'. Clicking this will take you to the online form where you can enter and complete all the relevant information. You will need to provide evidence that the individual has passed away and we can only accept a copy of an official death certificate (issued by the General Register Ofice or overseas equivalent) so please ensure you have this document before proceeding. If we do not receive this valid proof of death, we will be unable to proceed with a search.

If the death occurred abroad, then you will be required to scan and send a copy of the death certificate provided by the country.

This will need to be the equivalent of a GRO certificate in England & Wales therefore must be the fully certified information. A scanned copy is acceptable (files supported: .jpg, .png, .giff) as opposed to the original and this must contain all required information.

You can find more information about providing proof of death here.

Additional information can be provided such as siblings, occupation, evacuee or any other relevant information that may help us to search the data.

You also need to provide your contact details so we can get in touch with you to confirm the status of your request and to request more information if required.

Findmypast reserves the right to limit the number of requests that a subscriber can request.

If you are not a Findmypast subscriber, please contact The National Archives to request a search of closed records within the 1939 Register.

Carolyn
            Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Just found this on the NA site also

"9.2 Some records of people born less than 100 years ago are open

From 1948 the Register was also used as the National Health Service (NHS) Register, and was updated until 1991, when the paper-based system was discontinued. This included notification of deaths, so the records of people born less than 100 years ago, but whose death was reported to either the National Registration authorities or to the NHS, will be open (see also section 8).

Findmypast have checked the names and dates of birth in the 1939 Register against the General Register Office indexes of deaths in England and Wales and opened many records where exact matches are found. Furthermore, the records of individuals born 100 years ago (according to the date of birth shown in the Register) are opened on a regular basis.

The version of the 1939 Register on Ancestry.co.uk will be updated annually to show the records that have been opened during the past year."

...so it maybe they can't find an exact match. DoB slightly different or name on death cert?
              Carolyn
              Family Tree site

Comment

sorry - find another post on FMP - I am sure I read that they update all the time - but can't find it now, was certainly updated here:
                https://www.findmypast.co.uk/blog/ne...the-eve-of-war
                Last edited by cbcarolyn; 25-06-20, 22:39.
                Carolyn
                Family Tree site

Comment

I have certainly noticed the FMP updates are ahead of Ancestry ones. I've found several in the last couple of weeks that are open on FMP but not on Ancestry.
                  Anne

Comment

Just looked at my Mums name on 1939. She was born 1928 and died 2012 and had 2 brothers who died within 5 weeks of her. She is on FMP and so is her younger brother born 1930 but not the one born 1926. On ancestry none of her brothers are on but she is.

Doesn't seem to be any system to it. Just thought it was a good exanple. All died within the same registration district
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

My mother died in 1991 and her record was open, however the record for my father who died in 1987 was still closed, I just sent a copy of his death certificate to FMP and it was opened within a few days.
                      Margaret

Comment

Thanks, so I either need to pay £25 to the NA or re-join FMP and see if he shows on there and if not ask them to open it with a copy of his death certificate - I wonder if I can do it just using some credits? I'll go and have a look now, thanks everyone

Comment

Working...
                        X