This has been making me chuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This has been making me chuckle

I've been seaching the census returns for new information and found this page from 1891 which has my family Rawlinson on it. https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...Fedit%2Frecord

As you can see, although his handwriting is neat the enumerator apparently didn't have a very high level of spelling skills and possibly had some hearing loss, too. The surname is spelt wrongly and so are quite a few of the first names but what particularly caught my eye was the youngest daughter's name! I haven't seen this child on any other records so it is a bit of a mystery. Anybody got any thoughts?

And the bit that has been making me chuckle is that my great-grandfather had a bit of a reputation for drinking (a lot). Try saying some girls names out loud after an evening in the pub and see what you come up with.
    Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

The child is not his daughter, she’s his grand daughter.

Comment

I didn't spot that and went to GRO and found out the names of a couple of the other children and MMN was Woodward. Not the right mother if it is their G /daughter.

Doh.
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

These aren't the original forms, these have been copied from the forms either filled in by the householder or the enumerator. Lots of opportunity for error! I wonder if the name is meant to be Lavinia?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          The child is not his daughter, she’s his grand daughter.
          Ah, I was so busy chuckling about the name that I didn’t notice that either. If these forms were copies, would the mistakes have been in the originals? If you were just copying you wouldn’t change so many spellings surely?

And MMN Woodward is right, Lin, but I’m not sure what you mean by 'not the right mother if it is their g/daughter'. William and Mary Ann (nee Woodward) apparently had one child before they got married who was registered as Woodward and the rest were after they got married and so registered as Rawlinson.

Main research interests.. CAESAR (Surrey and London), GOODALL (London), SKITTERALL, WOODWARD (Middlesex and London), BARBER (Canterbury, Kent), DRAYSON (Canterbury, Kent), CRISP (Kent) and CHEESEMAN (Kent).

Comment

Gets better they have Lueza daughter on 1881 census on FMP Had he been to the pub again!!
            Lin

Comment

The only thing I can find is a girl registered in 2Q 1887 so she would be 4 rather than 2.
              RAWLINSON, Alice 1887 Watford mms COOPER Did any of William and Mary Ann’s older sons marry a COOPER girl.
              Heaven knows what was written but could it be what sounded like Alicia? (Licier) Maybe Grampa thought that’s what her name was rather than plain Alice? Clutching at straws here...
              Last edited by GallowayLass; 25-06-20, 16:29. Reason: wrong mms

Comment

If it was their sons child his wife wouldn't be a Woodward or if an unmarried daughter it would be MMN Rawinson
                Lin

Comment

I think it was his favourite place, Lin!

Comment

Did they have a son Edward?
                    UPDATE scrap this. Have found parish register. The groom’s father was Joseph so not right chap.
                    EDWARD
                    RAWLINSON
                    -
                    EDWARD RAWLINSON married one of these people

Ellen Cooper
                    Watford
                    -
                    Hertfordshire
                    England
                    3A
                    3A

Comment

Back in a tick - I need to get on my laptop.

Just food for thought I wondered if it might be a slurred version of Elizabeth or Winifred which I saw on FreeBMD.

Comment

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
                        If it was their sons child his wife wouldn't be a Woodward or if an unmarried daughter it would be MMN Rawinson
                        A Rawlinson son could have married a Woodward girl - there were plenty of them I believe!

Comment

WOO HOO! Methinks I’ve got it

Comment

Lueza on the 1881 census is actually Louisa Elizabeth born Watford 4Q 1868 mms WOODWARD. She married Watford 3Q 1888 to William CARTER and in Watford 4Q 1888 out pops CARTER, Lavinia mms Rawlinson

Grampa has included her as a RAWLINSON instead of a CARTER.

Comment

That looks very promising, doesn't it. Thank you very much.

Thought you might all like to see this. One of the oldest verified photos that we have in the family tree. Guess who?

Comment

Can't imagine!! but lovely photo. What date do you think it is?
                                Lin

Comment

He has a snake belt and cords on that are still around....no idea who he is.
                                  Jacky

Comment

He's the head of the household, William Rawlinson his very self and partial to a pint or several . Born in 1845 so possibly taken around 1900?

Comment

Like the guy in father Ted....can't think of his name....
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
                                      Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Originally posted by cbcarolyn View Post
                                        Like the guy in father Ted....can't think of his name....
                                        Father Jack

Comment

Working...
                                        X