Wellington Bomber T2802

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wellington Bomber T2802

I'm researching the crash of Wellington T802 on 24th May 1942 in which my Uncle, Flight Sergeant John George Ypres Boyle, was killed along with eight other crew members. They were on a training exercise for Air Gunners and were affiliating with a Spitfire when one of the wings of the bomber broke off due to metal fatigue and it crashed into the ground near Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk. I have collected a lot of information about the plane and its crew and now I am trying to trace descendants or relatives of the crew members. I have already managed to trace family members of the pilot, Flying Officer Michael Andean Coote, and Air Gunner Flight Sergeant Albert Adderley DFM. My uncle was the wireless operator.

Does anyone have any information about the following?

Sergeant Robert HOLDEN, Service number 1133022, 1483 Technical Training Flight. Aged 32.Husband of Marion Holden (nee Rogers), son of Samuel & Mary Jane Holden of Bootle.

Leading Aircraftman Alfred William HUGHES, Service number 1178083, RAF Volunteer Reserve. Aged 26. Husband of Helen Hughes (nee Harvey), son of Alfred William & Louise Hughes. They lived in Llandudno Junction during the war but I believe they were actually from London.

Aircraftman 1st Class William Gilchrist BOYCE, Service number 1559614, RAF Volunteer Reserve. Aged 19. Son of William & Catherine Boyce of Glasgow.

Aircraftman 1st Class John CAPP, Service number 1394911, RAF Volunteer Reserve. Aged 19. Son of Charles & Harriett Capp of Erith, Kent.

Captain Donald Roderick WHITE, Service number 89769, Royal Artillery, attached 109 Squadron RAF. Aged 23. Son of John C & Phyllis C White of Purley, Surrey.

Flight Sergeant (Cadet) Bryon Vernon LONG, Service number 104, 104 (Cambridge) Squadron, Air Training Corps. Aged 17. Son of Vernon Worrell & Mildred Ethel Rachel Long of Cambridge.

I am trying to find photographs and documents relating to the crew to complete the website I have started, and also with a view to commemorating the 80th anniversary of the crash in 2022.

Thank you.

Comment

Just in case you are posting weblinks elsewhere, the only website link that works is the one ending /t2802. The others give 404 errors.
      What sort of documents are you looking for for the crew members - eg baptisms, marriages, census returns etc?
      Or are you more interested in working forwards to find possible descendants?

Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi, sorry about the mistake with the link. I'm not sure how I made the same mistake twice, I'll put it down to age!

I'm mostly interested in trying to find possible descendants, I've been trying to work on their family trees but I've been finding it difficult to locate any living relatives. I'm sure they're out there somewhere!
        Pictures of the crew members to put faces to the names and individual stories about them will all add to the overall story of these brave men. Baptisms, marriages etc are useful to build a picture of their families but it's the next generations that I need to find.

Kind regards
        Phil

Comment

It's your site that is changing the link to my website. I entered it again, checked it was correct and pressed the 'add link' button. It then removed the /t2802 part of the URL.

Comment

Working...
          X