Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have no clue what this means!

Hi all,

I have been doing a bit of research and have come across this oddity in the parish records, can anyone read it please and explain why the date isn't there?
    it should have the date in the box when the baptism occurred but it hasn't. I can't make out the first word and don't understand why its there!..

any pointers/help would be great ta

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

It looks to me like “First of St. Matthias”. St Matthias day used to be 24th February. I tried to make it into Feast of St. Matthias but it’s definitely not Feast. I notice a bit of a date showing above in the margin Feb. 23rd. Could you please show the whole page so we can get a better idea of what’s there?

Have you looked at the whole page and those before and after to see if you can match the first letter in a word where it’s more obvious what it ought to be?

Comment

I think it is Vigil, i e day before feast

Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Bird View Post
        I think it is Vigil, i e day before feast

Carol
        Brilliant - well spotted. So now you need to look around for a baptism if of a child whose forename or surname begins with V just to confirm the handwriting. That would explain why the Saint is in the date box and Feb.23rd is in the margin for those who don’t know the liturgical calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
          It looks to me like “First of St. Matthias”. St Matthias day used to be 24th February. I tried to make it into Feast of St. Matthias but it’s definitely not Feast. I notice a bit of a date showing above in the margin Feb. 23rd. Could you please show the whole page so we can get a better idea of what’s there?

Have you looked at the whole page and those before and after to see if you can match the first letter in a word where it’s more obvious what it ought to be?
          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...79/edit/record

not sure if you will see that? the bit where the date says 23rd Feb is initialled by the curate J.O.

I thought it said VISIT by St. Matthias!
          Julie

Comment

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...855.1542891949

that other link might not work.. this may..

and I didn't know of the whojamawosit calendar!
            Julie

Comment

The chap seems to be very fond of the liturgical calendar as he mentions holy days whenever they occur and reverts to normal dates for the rest of the time. February 2nd he has The Feast of the Purification of St Mary the Virgin. This is also Candlemas and also The Presentation of Christ in the Temple - take your pick You might find this useful and there are others plus different ones for the Roman Catholic liturgy.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                The chap seems to be very fond of the liturgical calendar as he mentions holy days whenever they occur and reverts to normal dates for the rest of the time. February 2nd he has The Feast of the Purification of St Mary the Virgin. This is also Candlemas and also The Presentation of Christ in the Temple - take your pick You might find this useful and there are others plus different ones for the Roman Catholic liturgy.
                https://www.churchofengland.org/pray...-year/calendar
                aww fab that is, thanks hun x
                Julie

Comment

Working...
                X