Welsh ancestors - Pugh and Pierce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welsh ancestors - Pugh and Pierce

Many moons ago, I started DH maternal line, tbh he showed little interest and so did his mother! I persevered for a while and then started to realise that Pugh (in St Asaph) is as bad as Jones when it comes to Wales. I think I ought to revisit it now that I have time, and just wondering if anyone had any great tips for Wales?

I know that Elaine has referred to the welsh newspapers so this is on my list, something I have not looked at before. I know it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string!
    Last edited by cbcarolyn; 22-06-20, 18:06.
    Carolyn
    Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
    Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Fmp has the welsh parish registers.

Comment

Good thinking, I don’t think I have checked them. Thank you
      Carolyn
      Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

Carolyn .............. I have a similar problem with OH. His mother was Welsh and tracing that side has been a nightmare. M-i-l put together a bit of a table, the son of one of her cousins did a very deep history getting back to the 13th century back in the 1980s, and OH has memories.

I have the greatest trouble matching anything I find with what they have written or remember.

I thought I might be able to trust what the son of a cousin had produced because he was, and still is, a trained well-respected researcher in another subject. I couldn't even get my m-i-l's generation to match with what he had ................ I have certificates and records of parish records which I think prove me right.

Now can I trust back to the 13th century???

To add to my discomfort with his work ................. I had to prove to him that I was a serious researcher who knew what I was doing. It took 2 years to get him to send the many pages over here.
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

interesting, Pauls Mum seemed to know very little and one of the things she seemed confident on was that she had an Aunty Ginny that was in the US, and I never never found her.
          Carolyn
          Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
          X