Plant, brough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plant, brough

Hi looking for any information about the Plant family Albert edward plant (ted) married to martha hannah plant was Brough of biddulph moor Staffordshire ....

We need to know more information so we know where to start looking for him.
    What do you know about him already? birth, parents, children? Do you have them on any censuses?
    When and where did he marry Martha?
    We need a starting point please.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Did Ted and Martha have a daughter, born c 1945?
      What was his job? Do you know where and about when he died?

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

18 October 1991 - Staffordshire Sentinel - Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire:

I assume this meant that they stayed in Biddulph
        Carolyn
        Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex
        Also interested in Proctor, Woodruff

Comment

Martha Hannah left a will, probate 1992.

This might be worth getting as only £1.50 at the moment.

Is it going backwards that you want?
          Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I think this could be their marriage - Albert E Plant and Martha H Brough married in 1934, in the Leek, Staffordshire, registration district.
            Going by the age at death in the clipping Carolyn posted, I think Martha was born 10 Apr 1908. In which case I think I may have found her in 1939, living alone at Gun Battery, off New Street, Biddulph - if I've got the right lady, she was married and a velvet cutter.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay, I think you have the correct marriage. I saw that one as well. Didn't look at the 1939 but sounds very likely.
              Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

I could only find one child for the marriage, with the middle initial M, which fits nicely with the obituary in post #4. I found a probable 1965 marriage for this daughter and she and her husband had two daughters, again the forenames match the obituary.Anyone following this through please be aware that there seems to have been another couple with the same two surnames who married in a neighbouring registration district in 1969, so any search of the birth index using the surname of the couples and Plant as mmn produces hits from both marriages.
                I am being a bit vague about surnames because the person who I think was the daughter of Ted and Martha could well still be alive, also her husband and their daughters.

I can't do any more until we have a response from Smhowle. Need to know we are on the right track firstly and then just what it is that the opening poster is wanting help with.

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I had a scout around, and couldn't pinpoint him there were a few with the same name and approx birth date in the staffs area, couldn't find him in 1939. There was a newspaper report referring to a driver with same name in Biddulph.
                  Carolyn
                  Family Tree site

Researching: Luggs, Freeman - Cornwall; Dayman, Hobbs, Heard - Devon; Wilson, Miles - Northants; Brett, Everett, Clark, Allum - Herts/Essex

Comment

I couldn't pinpoint him for definite in 1939 without knowing more about him. He was possibly working away from home or even joined the forces. We need to know the name of a parent in order to confirm him in census. Depending on when he died, the death registration may give dob, which could help to identify him on 1939 register or to pinpoint his birth registration and get mmn.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Hi I'm having trouble navigating the site .
                      albert edward plant was my grandfather he married martha hannah plant was brough
                      They lived on new street biddulph moor untill around 1980 .
                      I wanted to know where he was born , did he have any brothers or sisters .any still alive ?
                      Who his parents were.
                      I have no idea how to start looking ..

Comment

Martha and albert had a daughter gwendoline mary she passed away 2006 (my mother )

Comment

Do you access Ancestry?

I think this is him with his father in 1939 using the DoB that you posted on the other thread:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...471_5471i_004
                          Name: Albert E Plant
                          Marital status: Married
                          Birth Date: 11 Oct 1905
                          Residence Year: 1939
                          Address: Heath Cottage
                          Residence Place: Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, England
                          Line Number: 43
                          Schedule Number: 43
                          Sub Schedule Number: 4
                          Enumeration District: OTMR
                          Borough: Newcastle-under-Lyme
                          Registration district: NEWCASTLE-UNDER-LYME no 2
                          Household Members:
                          Name
                          Thomas Picken
                          Annie Picken
                          William Suteliffe
                          Albert E Plant
                          Edward Plant

and this is him in 1911 census
                          https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...43/edit/record

Name: Albert E Plant
                          Age in 1911: 5
                          Estimated birth year: abt 1906
                          Relation to Head: Son
                          Birth Place: Biddulph, Staffordshire
                          Civil Parish: Biddulph
                          County/Island: Staffordshire
                          Street address: Robin Hill, Biddulph Moor, Congleton
                          Registration district: Leek
                          Registration District Number: 362
                          Sub-registration district: Biddulph
                          ED, institution, or vessel: 03
                          Piece: 16629

Household Members:
                          Name Age
                          Edward Plant 30
                          Sarah Ann Plant 28
                          Albert E Plant 5
                          Vera Eliza Plant 4
                          Annie Laura Plant 3
                          Janet Plant 1
                          Thomas Gee 49
                          James Gee 21
                          Elizabeth Gee 17
                          you can see that his mother mmn is Gee as they have a father in law with them.
                          Last edited by cbcarolyn; 02-07-20, 13:58.
                          Carolyn
                          Family Tree site

Comment

If you don't know about their parentage, it's best to get your grandparent's marriage record, as this gives their father's names and occupations and gives a starting point for searching the 1911 census and previous ones.

Comment

I've just checked their marriage certificate it only lists his father edward plant profession miner . .
                              I never realised how little I knew about him.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help . So he was from biddulph moor ? Is their a way to find out if any of his siblings are living ?
                                I'm so sorry I hope I dont sound stupid it feels very overwhelming trying to work it all out .

Comment

Well all of this is a bit of guess work - no guarantees. Not sure if you have access to Ancestry. where did you get the DoB? is that from his birth cert?
                                  Carolyn
                                  Family Tree site

Comment

Carolyn beat me to it! Whilst I was replying to a pm from Smhowle, I clicked on something accidentally and shut down all the programmes I had open! I had looked up the death registration and it gave a birth date of 11 October 1905, which I used to find him on the 1939 register and also 1911 census.I agree with the information Carolyn has posted for you.Edward Plant and Sarah Ann Gee married April - June 1904 in Leek registration district.

Jay
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I have just read the other thread and see you have birth cert, the 1939 reg is exactly a year out - so I think likely to be him, years do often seem slightly out.

https://www.familytreeforum.com/foru...se#post1294845
                                      Carolyn
                                      Family Tree site

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                        Carolyn beat me to it! Whilst I was replying to a pm from Smhowle, I clicked on something accidentally and shut down all the programmes I had open! I had looked up the death registration and it gave a birth date of 11 October 1905, which I used to find him on the 1939 register and also 1911 census.I agree with the information Carolyn has posted for you.Edward Plant and Sarah Ann Gee married April - June 1904 in Leek registration district.

Jay
                                        have you looked into any of the other children?
                                        Carolyn
                                        Family Tree site

Comment

Working...
                                        X